• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• The just-concluded Santa Anita/Hollywood winter/spring meet with a 99.97% safety record from 6,678 horses racing over the dirt and or turf is truly remarkable. Combine this result with the additional data released by HISA of a fatality rate of .83 per 1000 starts nationally for the first quarter of 2024 and something extraordinary is starting to occur. Thoroughbred racing can and, importantly is, becoming safe with regard to horse fatalities. One would have been hard-pressed to make such a statement in 2019 with the many horse fatalities at Santa Anita. I never entirely bought the rain/poor track condition explanation for those fatalities. Yes, the 2019 conditions at Santa Anita were unique, but horse fatalities had been relatively high virtually everywhere in the United States. And, over time, this fact left the industry wide-open to criticism that went far beyond a few animal rights groups. When the California state government started to get critically involved and when I was asked by several friends about the deaths of horses on the racetrack, I knew that my favorite sport/pastime was in some trouble. The perception of horse racing in the public realm had taken a blow and the reverberations quickly spread nationally. The starting point was, however, not the horse racing deaths but the fact that so many horses raced at high speed and did not break down. Most horses did NOT break down. That is, the racing itself could not be the culprit as the critics claimed-that is not what the data showed- but something was indeed amiss. From decades of handicapping-I saw Damascus and Buckpasser race at Santa Anita in the 1960s as a kid–I had noticed that certain horses should not be bet because of their apparent declining form or a projected decline in performance due to an excessive or difficult race schedule. In 2019, I surmised that most racing deaths could be eliminated by ascertaining and then rectifying pre-existing conditions with regard to race horses. I was not a vet or a trainer and as a handicapper. I could only make broad conjectures, but my graduate study often involved interpreting data. What explained the data? There had to be intervening factors (pre-race) that caused a small percentage of horses to break down in a race and those factors could be identified as in any science. HISA CEO Lisa Lazarus has recently acknowledged that many factors have now been identified that are warning signs regarding possible racing injury/fatalities for certain horses and she states pointedly, “HISA's most important goal is driving down equine fatalities.” Indeed and indeed. Reducing racing fatalities to near zero and understanding the risks factors that will prevent horses with pre-existing conditions from racing are paramount for the viability of the sport. The news is that horse racing has come a considerable way in addressing safety issues of its equine athletes performing in the sport. –Armen Antonian Ph.D The post Letter to the Editor: Horse Racing Has Come a Long Way Towards Addressing Safety appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • Ten stayers will line up in Thursday's G1 Gold Cup at Royal Ascot, with the 2022 title-holder Kyprios (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) looking to regain his crown having missed out through injury 12 months ago. He will be Aidan O'Brien's sole runner, while John and Thady Gosden saddle a trio in Wathnan Racing's Gregory (GB) (Golden Horn {GB}), Godolphin's Trawlerman (Ire) (Golden Horn {GB}) and Normandie Stud's Sweet William (Ire) (Sea The Stars {Ire}). Willie Mullins has booked Colin Keane for the ride on the Riccis' Vauban (Fr) (Galiway {GB}), while other notable are the Mariscottis' Coltrane (Ire) (Mastercraftsman {Ire}) and Clive Washbourn's Caius Chorister (Fr) (Golden Horn {GB}). In the G2 Ribblesdale S., a field of 13 fillies will head to post including Godolphin's Listed Haras de Bouquetot Fillies' Trial S. winner Diamond Rain (GB) (Shamardal) and Valmont and Newsells Park Stud's Oaks fourth You Got To Me (GB) (Nathaniel {Ire}), while the G2 Norfolk S. hosts 14 super-charged 2-year-olds headed by Ballydoyle's First Flier S. scorer Whistlejacket (Ire) (No Nay Never) and Fitri Hay's Saturday Flirt (Mendelssohn) representing Wesley Ward. Andre Fabre has confirmed Wathnan Racing's recently-acquired G1 Prix du Jockey Club runner-up First Look (Ire) (Lope De Vega {Ire}) for the G3 Hampton Court S., in which a dozen line up. The post Kyprios Heads Ten For The Gold Cup appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • Pakenham getting more popular all the time. Hey TABman , with USA and Japan running very big races on dirt , and Aus has a lot of those sort of surfaces too for bush racing. It Doesn't seem to worry the horses at all. Could NZ do some dirt ? of do they already have one somewhere? 
    • Get with the program Chief ,its a 4 day working week now...the traditional weekend brings change. With a pocketful of cash after Thursday night trots into weekend , the lads were looking for races to bet on Friday. The week in NZ had already been unique in that there had been THREE meetings on Synthetic in one week ! The Friday menu for gallops was Ballarat Synthetic , Canberra Acton and Carnavron Dirt..all non-turf ! Saturday included Gold Coast Synthetic , Broome Dirt , Darwin Dirt ...NZ had 4 x Jumps races at main meeting ,Australia rarely has jumps on a Saturday cos no-one bets on them ! Sunday had Devonport Synthetic and Alice Spring Dirt plus Singapore [50/50 mix] ,plus South Africa, Korea and Japan etc etc. Monday had Pakenham Stynthetic , Tuesday had Ballarat again and many of the top trainers ..Maher, Moody, Freedman, Hayes, Busuttin etc all paticipating . No doubt that overall , the races on TAB that one can bet on around the world are on non-turf tracks. Sad I know.....but with the extremes in weather likely to increase ,those tracks keep the industry ticking away . And the synthetic tracks aren't too bad to watch with horses closer in general and colours etc more obvious . Good for newcomers to get an intro to wagering in the Industry.
  • Topics