• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• Godolphin colt Broadsiding continued his winning streak with a stunning display in the 2024 Ladbrokes JJ Atkins results at Eagle Farm on Saturday. Champion jockey James McDonald piloted the two-year-old to a comfortable victory, securing his 98th career Group 1 win and 19th for the season. Broadsiding ($1.60F), a Too Darn Hot colt, dominated the […] The post Broadsiding Claims Dominant 2024 JJ Atkins Victory at Eagle Farm appeared first on HorseRacing.com.au. View the full article
    • James McDonald salutes as Broadsiding destroys his rivals in the Group 1 JJ Atkins. Photo: Darren Winningham Broadsiding announced himself as the best two-year-old galloper in Australia with a breath-taking win in the Group 1 J.J. Atkins, as James McDonald rose in the irons to salute the crowd as the pair crossed the line 4.25 lengths ahead of the rest of the field. The James Cummings-trained colt has taken everything in his stride this season, claiming the Group 1 Champagne Stakes three starts back before producing a slashing run to claim the Group 2 BRC Sires’ Produce Stakes last start at the same track as Saturday’s victory. A son of Too Darn Hot, Broadsiding opened as an odds-on market elect when the fields came out on Wednesday, and punters continued to back the favourite, who jumped at -166.67 with online bookmakers. China Sea (+10000) and Aemelius (+1800) made sure that the tempo was strong as they served up to each other mid-race and tried to kick away before the home turn, while Busustow (+3300) and El Morzillo (+1300) stalked them and started to peel off their heels. However, everyone could see McDonald coasting along aboard the eventual winner and when he asked for the ultimate effort, Broadsiding bounded clear and put the race to bed with 200m to go. 2024 J.J. Atkins replay – Broadsiding James Cummings was very complimentary of his rising star, and he spoke post-race. “He’s such a good colt, so he certainly deserved his chance but great credit to the team who have managed through a big campaign,” Cummings said. “The only real doubt throughout the week for some was a dry track or perhaps even a long prep but I’ve got such a good team that I’ve been able to keep not only fit but also healthy, well, growing, and loving his training. “He paraded like a colt that was thriving and he got the big salute there from James McDonald. “He sort of had that feel about perhaps being the best two-year-old in the country this season. “He’s been a horse that has been able to keep improving and being by Too Darn Hot out of a Street Cry mare, he’s got his future well and truly assured on the roster at Darley. “We haven’t had the best of luck earlier in the day and he said I’ll be getting out on this horse, and he just rode the horse magnificently. “That big salute, that’s pretty special for a colt that I think deserves a lot of praise.” James McDonald echoed the thoughts of Cummings in his post-race interview. “Champion two-year-old that one,” McDonald announced. “I’ve had enough practices being in behind today, I thought I better let that one go. I thought we executed the gallop beautifully. “He’s a ball of muscle. He knows he’s really good. “He’s a character but James (Cummings) has done a phenomenal job. I can’t stress how good a job he’s done, to be fair. “He keeps raising the bar but he’s got a good colt on his hands. He’s special. “He is a fair dinkum two-year-old and he will get stronger as he gets older. It is a pleasure to ride him.” Horse racing news View the full article
    • The lethal combination of Tim Clark and the Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott stable struck with Bases Loaded (+600) in the Group 3 Gunsynd Classic as the three-year-old colt led all the way in the 1600m contest at Eagle Farm. Although the connections of the winner wouldn’t have been happy after drawing barrier 15, it appeared as though it worked in their favour as Clark pushed forward and crossed the field to find an uncontested lead. The son of Deep Field ran the field along early in the race before getting a mid-race breather, which allowed him to fill up the lungs and kick away on the home turn and race away from his rivals. Thanks to a great front-running ride by Clark, Bases Loaded didn’t give anything else a chance, with the best of the rest being Port Lockroy (+1000) and McHale (+2200), who ran on nicely from midfield to fill the placings. The race favourite, Razors (+180), made up solid ground but it was all to no avail as the leader was hailed the winner with more than 100m to go in the race as he held an unassailable lead. 2024 Gunsynd Classic replay – Bases Loaded Adrian Bott spoke post-race about the win of Bases Loaded after his stylish win. “He’s a very talented horse and that is the style of racing that he likes. The mile is his pet distance and a sustained tempo which he can do,” Bott said. “I thought he broke their hearts in the mid stages the way he got rolling and was able to be tough enough to hang on. “(Third-up) has been the key. He’s been a talented horse right from the outset. “The best run of his career was in a group one placing at a mile to Militarize so we’ve always been trying to get back to those conditions. “It just took those couple of runs to really get the fitness improvement that we needed and get back to the right conditions. “Getting him back on top of the ground today was the key.” Tim Clark was very pleased with the win and spoke post-race about the strength of Bases Loaded’s victory. “He came into this prep after a long layoff and he’s a big horse that has needed that couple of runs to get that fitness into him,” Clark said of the winner. “Third-up at a mile with a good base underneath him, he was ready to go today. “He just needed a bit of racing. He’s been running really well on rain affected ground over shorter distances, and getting up to the mile today on a dry track, he’d put his best foot forward. “He ran through the line strongly. I couldn’t pull him up so I know that the guys up here looking after him were really pleased with him.” Horse racing news View the full article
    • Alegron salutes in the Group 2 Brisbane Cup. Photo: Darren Winningham Dylan Gibbons and Bjorn Baker have combined with Alegron (+700) to take out the Group 2 Brisbane Cup at Eagle Farm on Saturday afternoon. The five-year-old gelding entered the 3200m contest off the back of a strong performance behind the Hezashocka in the Group 3 Premier’s Cup two weeks ago at the same track over 2400m. After jumping from barrier nine, Gibbons took his mount to the back of the field and allowed the race to unfold before getting on the back of Amade (+600) turning for home, and when he asked for an effort, the son of Teofilo let down with a strong finish. As expected, Knight’s Order (+2000) ran the race along at a good tempo at the front of the field, with his stablemate Goldman (+900) settled behind in second; however, the leading division began to struggle at the 400m mark, and the swoopers started to make their runs. The race favourite with online bookmakers, Mostly Cloudy (+125), stayed towards the inside and looked for gaps but was held up until the 200m mark behind the slowing leaders; meanwhile, Captain Envious (+900) and Alegron took over and started to draw away. Once Mostly Cloudy got a run on the inside rail, he finished off strongly, but he had to settle for a second-place finish ahead of Captain Envious, still a length off the winner, with Warning (+1200) running home nicely into fourth. 2024 Brisbane Cup replay – Alegron Jim Clark was on course to represent the Bjorn Baker stable in the post-race interview. “He’s been a fantastic horse since Bjorn bought him relatively inexpensively,” Clark said. “He’s had a really good prep and his run the other day put the writing on the wall. “They were very confident he’d be strong at the end of two miles. “They ran along nicely and it was a really cool ride from Dylan. Great result. “Each run he has kept improving physically. “I thought he looked a million dollars today. Stepping up to the two miles is the key. “I’m sure that is the ultimate aim (Melbourne Cup). “It’d be a great story – an online purchase and one that could get to a Melbourne Cup after a wind operation. Bjorn has had very good luck with that.” Dylan Gibbons spoke about the ease of the win post-race. “I only had to think for about 400 meters, so it was great,” Gibbons said of his ride on the winner. “His run the other day was enormous and he took me into the race. ”I just had to give him that good 400-metres and I knew he’d be tough for me late and he had to be. “I had a look back through his form and he’d won over 2800-metres so Bjorn isn’t afraid to get him out (in distance).” Horse racing news View the full article
  • Topics