• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• Saturday’s Happy 80th Birthday Garry Chittick (1100m) at Trentham is set to cap an exciting week for Cambridge trainers Ben and Ryan Foote. The $40,000 open sprint marks a welcome return to raceday action for the Footes’ stable star, multiple Group One-performed mare Babylon Berlin. It comes just three days after the father-son pair unveiled an exciting new talent with a brilliant four-length debut victory by Keegan at Cambridge on Wednesday. “He was impressive,” Ben Foote said. “We’d kept our opinion of him under wraps a little bit, but we certainly did expect him to produce a performance like that. “He’s always been very talented. He was up in Hong Kong with David Hall, who said he thought he’d win first-up at Sha Tin, but he had a bit of an injury and had to come back to New Zealand. He told us, ‘Don’t trial him – he knows what he’s doing. Just get him fit, take him to the races and have a bet. So that’s what we did.” Foote is now eyeing the new series of $100,000 races that have been introduced this year on the Cambridge, Awapuni and Riccarton synthetic tracks in early August. These races are open to all horses that have had at least three starts on a synthetic track in New Zealand since May of last year, with fields selected based on horses’ performances on those all-weather surfaces during that time. “He’s obviously got a lot of talent, so we can look at raising the bar a little bit,” Foote said. “There are those $35,000 MAAT races at Cambridge in late July, and then we might have a look at those new $100,000 races – possibly the one down at Awapuni (over 1400m on August 9).” Meanwhile, Foote is looking forward to welcoming Babylon Berlin back to raceday action on Saturday. It will be the All Too Hard mare’s first start since the Gr.1 Sistema Railway (1200m) on New Year’s Day, in which she was a beaten favourite. She has since undergone a wind operation, then also underwent further treatment for an eye injury. Babylon Berlin warmed up for Saturday’s race with an 850m trial at Waipa on April 30, which she won by four and a half lengths. With eight wins, 13 placings and more than $600,000 in stakes – including runner-up finishes in the Railway, the Gr.1 Telegraph (1200m) and the Gr.1 BCD Group Sprint (1200m) – Babylon Berlin’s accomplishments tower over her four rivals at Trentham on Saturday. She has been allotted a 62kg topweight, although apprentice jockey Ace Lawson-Carroll will reduce that impost to 60kg with his 2kg claim. “It was a relief to see her trial like that at Waipa, I think she’s back to her old self,” Foote said. “She’s continued to go the right way since that trial too. “I took her to Te Aroha last Friday for a gallop on the course proper, partly to get that track tested out for the stipes. I think her work that day was as good as I’ve seen from her, so I’m very happy with how she’s going. “She’s in the truck behind me right now, so as long as she’s behaving herself, I think we’re on target for tomorrow. “We’ve got no firm plans after this and we’ll see how she goes before we make a decision. We could send her over to Aussie, or we could freshen her up to have a crack at the spring. We’ll get this race out of the way first and then come up with a plan.” View the full article
    • Mont Ventoux and Renegade Fighter’s first-up performances at Te Rapa on May 4 have given Rudy Liefting grounds for optimism for their winter jumping campaigns, beginning with their next assignments at Hawera on Sunday. A last-start placing in restricted open grade makes Mont Ventoux a key player for the Holdem Contracting Legend Hawera Riders Maiden Hurdle (2800m), while Renegade Fighter will tackle the PCL Wineera Brothers Ltd Maurice Campbell Steeplechase (3400m). A seven-time winner on the flat, Mont Ventoux has shown promise over hurdles with four placings from his six attempts so far. The most recent of those was his resuming run at Te Rapa earlier this month, where he finished second and was beaten by less than two lengths by the top-flight hurdler English Gambler. “You had to be happy with that,” Liefting said. “The horse that beat him is obviously a top hurdler, so I was happy that he ended up as close to him as he did. “I told the rider (Nick Downs) not to go chasing after English Gambler, because that would just play into his hands. I just wanted him to sit back and ride his own race at a nice, even tempo. We obviously didn’t want a gut-buster in his first run of the campaign. “I didn’t think we could catch English Gambler, so our only chance would be if he made a mistake, which he didn’t. But running second to him was a good effort.” Liefting has been pleased with the eight-year-old son of Nom Du Jeu throughout the fortnight since that Te Rapa run. “He’s been good,” he said. “He’s a pretty straightforward horse – a big eater and fairly sound, which always makes it easy. We never miss any work with him. He’s heading into this weekend in good order.” If Mont Ventoux continues on his upward trajectory through the next couple of months, Liefting is open to the possibility of venturing to Christchurch for the $100,000 Grand National Hurdle (4200m) at Riccarton on August 10. “We don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves, so we’ll just take it step by step for now,” the Pukekohe trainer said. “But hopefully we might end up in a nice open hurdle race a bit further down the track. “Everyone who has a hurdler that’s shown any kind of ability would love to make it to a National or a Great Northern (4200m). I think the National down in Christchurch might actually be a race that would suit this horse really well. He’s been down there twice already to run in the Winter Cup (Gr.3, 1600m), so we know that he travels well. “We need to concentrate on getting a maiden win on the board first, but if he keeps running good races, we might have a crack. You only live once.” Renegade Fighter made his steeplechase debut at Te Rapa on May 4. He made mistakes at multiple jumps but stayed on his feet and finished fourth, beaten by 24 lengths – a margin significantly inflated by the 19-length winner Hey Happy. “He’s still new to it and his jumping obviously needs a bit of improvement,” Liefting said. “But it could have been worse – he got around. Watching the replay the next day, it wasn’t actually as bad as I first thought when I watched the race live. “I think he’s got the makings of a nice steeplechaser. He’s another good, sound horse that doesn’t miss work. We’re hoping for a better showing this time around. “The jockey has got to know him a bit better now, and if there’s a bit of a slower tempo, it might help him to round off his fences a bit better.” View the full article
    • Allan Sharrock will have both quantity and quality on his side at Trentham on Saturday as he shoots for a third Listed James Bull Rangitikei Cup (1600m) in the last seven years. The New Plymouth trainer won the race with Ladies First in 2017 and Justaskme last year, and he will saddle three runners in Saturday’s 2024 edition of the $80,000 race – Justaskme, Sumi and Islington Lass. Lightly raced mare Islington Lass will be ridden by Michael McNab and heads the trio as the $2.90 favourite on the TAB’s Final Field market. The five-year-old daughter of Proisir has had nine starts for five wins and three placings. She won all of her first three starts this season in impressive style, then finished a last-start second in the Listed ANZAC Mile (1600m) at Otaki – beaten by a long neck by Mr Mojo Risin’. “It was a very good run last time and I think she’s tip-top for tomorrow,” Sharrock said. “This is the race we’ve been targeting with her. “I’m very happy with the build-up she’s had. I think the track is a genuine Soft7, so by that stage of the day, it shouldn’t be a disadvantage to be drawn out where she is in gate 14. I’m expecting her to run well.” Sumi is rated a $7 second favourite in the Rangitikei Cup market, sharing second favouritism with northern raider Channel Surfer. “I was happy enough with her run for second at New Plymouth last Saturday,” Sharrock said. “They dawdled around and Lisa Allpress pulled their pants down with her front-running ride on the winner, which happens sometimes in racing. “She’s come through the race well and she’s as fit as we can make her. I probably couldn’t see her beating Islington Lass in this race, but then again, I didn’t think La Crique could get beaten at Rotorua last week either, so you never know.” The defending champion Justaskme is rated a $21 chance of defending his crown under his 59kg topweight. “He’s building up his fitness nicely,” Sharrock said. “I’ve put the hood on this week. I was probably envisaging a heavier track. “I’d expect a better run from him tomorrow, and then it’s another two weeks until his main target, the AGC Training Stakes (Listed, 1600m) at weight-for-age at Wanganui.” Sharrock’s other runner at Trentham on Saturday is the maiden Tavistock mare Dresse’ Par Joli, whose three previous starts have produced two seconds and a fourth. “She had no luck last start and has the makings of quite a nice mare,” Sharrock said. “She’s another one that’s drawn wide, but hopefully that won’t be a problem with the way the track is. I can see her going close to a win.”   View the full article
    • I think the issue is there aren't enough homes in NZ and Australia to keep up rehoming numbers long term.  If 1000 dogs retire a year, roughly 800 will be rehomed I'd imagine. 800 per year over 10yrs is alot of dogs needing rehoming and the rehoming programs been going for 15+ years.   
    • I take that back. There is now the new synthetic 100k 1200m race that day.
  • Topics