Bit Of A Yarn

Multiple F#$k up on TV and website today

Website freezing while on a bet (only way out was to leave site completely), NTD on races with over 8 runners, generally no results, Just showed a race from Ascot with Eagle Farm R6 on screen etc etc etc

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

Website freezing while on a bet (only way out was to leave site completely), NTD on races with over 8 runners, generally no results, Just showed a race from Ascot with Eagle Farm R6 on screen etc etc etc

They should sack the person that put numbers up as horses cross line…. Half the time numbers are wrong… then even anyone who can see results clearly…. Up pops PHOTO FINISH 😆

• Haha 1

Finally got through to someone on a distinct issue ie not able to locate "show all runner comments"on the app.  Short answer is you can't.  But in getting that question answered many more issues are present eg links on appearing, links to social media to closed accounts, etc etc The "Helpdesk" tried to tell me that those things were not missing, had never been there before (when I know they had) etc etc The HD said that they were very busy with issues due to the app and I agreed that they should be given the myriad of issues surrounding trackside/site/app.  Seems they're in a denial mode but I concluded that they should tell their Management that these are not teething issues and the systems are fine.  Very little hope my words will get through.

The galloping form on the new website is complete shit.

I am pretty sure it is a purchased data service with the data filled by a bunch of data operators who know little about racing. A lot of the bookmaker websites in Aussie also use this same purchased service which is a waste of time if you want accurate descriptions.

Our racing is going down the gurgler quickly.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

6 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

What form guides does everyone use for gallops now the Entain form is a waste of time?

I've long since abandoned reading the NZTAB formguides.  Stopped that when they shafted The Informant.  The Informant couldn't get NZ form data without paying through the nose for it.  It was cheaper to get it from Australia.  But I suspect that now we have this burgeoning hardeing of the NZ wagering monopoly the Australian sources are drying up or probably more likely they are not investing in it.

I have no idea now what ENTAIN's end game is but I'm not sure they are working in NZ punters best interests.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

The galloping form on the new website is complete shit.

I am pretty sure it is a purchased data service with the data filled by a bunch of data operators who know little about racing. A lot of the bookmaker websites in Aussie also use this same purchased service which is a waste of time if you want accurate descriptions.

Our racing is going down the gurgler quickly.

To be fair the harness info is crap as well, so you can not just pick on the gallop’s. 

The info is already there, dont need those comments that add nothing.

The HRNZ site is so much better, and unfortunately the sell out to Entain apart from the increased stake money for a few  years is really the only benefit!

Love the comments when they say they dont rate the chances and then they open it at short odds fixed !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

To be fair the harness info is crap as well, so you can not just pick on the gallop’s. 

The info is already there, dont need those comments that add nothing.

The HRNZ site is so much better, and unfortunately the sell out to Entain apart from the increased stake money for a few  years is really the only benefit!

Love the comments when they say they dont rate the chances and then they open it at short odds fixed !

The bookmakers will have more idea than the people doing the form comments. There is a bit more at stake for the bookies with thousands of dollars at risk

7 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

The bookmakers will have more idea than the people doing the form comments. There is a bit more at stake for the bookies with thousands of dollars at risk

Most of the form comments are bot generated.  Quite frankly if you are relying on them to find a winner you are wasting your time.  Most pro-punters wouldn't bother reading them.  Above average punters wouldn't read them until they have shortlisted their options and found value.  They are a waste of app real estate.

Aside from the fact they suck a few newbies into losing their hard earned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I get RACEFORM delivered to my door every Thursday. It is not as good as the previous publication The INFORMANT but the NZ comments are good enough. Use that and the video replays on NZTR site and there is enough to work with

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Wingman said:

I get RACEFORM delivered to my door every Thursday. It is not as good as the previous publication The INFORMANT but the NZ comments are good enough. Use that and the video replays on NZTR site and there is enough to work with

Reminds me of the time I contributed to the Best Bets/Turf Digest form lines.  It was a summer between University years and things had been a bit rough.  My Dad knew things had been rough and worked out a plan. 

"Son" he said, "I've been talking to a friend down at the pub and he does the form lines for the BB and TD.  Now they have just introduced trifecta betting.  I've arranged for you to travel with him over the West Coast, Buller and Nelson circuit helping out with the formlines.  I want you to focus on the Trifecta's because they are a new form of bet, which I haven't got my head around yet, but what I do know is there will be good value because most punters haven't worked it out how to find value."  

So I spent the summer travelling to all the meetings punting on Trifectas - watching every race diligently and having long conversations between races and on the trip home about what horse had done what and how.  

Footnote:  We didn't have race replays on our phones or streaming on our laptops or even on TV those days.  The mid 1980's.  40 years ago.

Footnote 2:  It was profitable for my sponsor and me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes Trifectas used to be genuine overs back then. Like many of us I have had some great collects on them over the years but now there is little value now as the pools are just not there. Major racedays like Melbourne cup excluded. Talking of major racedays how about this story re trifecta dividends. I was at the Breeders Cup 2009 and witnessed Zenyatta win at Santa Anita. She was red-hot on the tote, Winx like dividend. I boxed 5 horses including her in the trifecta and only her was a local. The other 4 runners were European visitors. She bolted in and I thought at best double your money. But the weight of the USA money was on all the USA runners bar 2nd fav Rip Van Winkle who wasn't in the money. (RVW was one of my other 4 runners) 13 horse field, red-hot fav wins.. $596 trifecta...luvvy jubbly

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Yes Trifectas used to be genuine overs back then. Like many of us I have had some great collects on them over the years but now there is little value now as the pools are just not there. Major racedays like Melbourne cup excluded. Talking of major racedays how about this story re trifecta dividends. I was at the Breeders Cup 2009 and witnessed Zenyatta win at Santa Anita. She was red-hot on the tote, Winx like dividend. I boxed 5 horses including her in the trifecta and only her was a local. The other 4 runners were European visitors. She bolted in and I thought at best double your money. But the weight of the USA money was on all the USA runners bar 2nd fav Rip Van Winkle who wasn't in the money. (RVW was one of my other 4 runners) 13 horse field, red-hot fav wins.. $596 trifecta...luvvy jubbly

My best return was $1,700 Empire Rose with the second favourite with the field.  That was the NZ Cup after she ran third in the Melbourne Cup.  They don't make horses like that anymore...I wonder why?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

My best return was $1,700 Empire Rose with the second favourite with the field.  That was the NZ Cup after she ran third in the Melbourne Cup.  They don't make horses like that anymore...I wonder why?

I bet mainly on harness but ironically my biggest trifecta returns have been on the gallops. I got just over half the Adventador trifecta when it won the Telegraph and collected over 35K

I also got the Trifecta in the same race a few years later with Enzos Lad and collected nearly 20k off that race.  Had dozens of 5K + collects on harness trifectas but you are right the pools do not support big dividends unless it is Cup week.

• Haha 1

Impressive. 6K my highest, for a dollar mind. Harping back to Empire Rose, she won the Melbourne cup by half head but she was so long that her hindquarter was clearly behind Natski's (runner up) hindquarter!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

Impressive. 6K my highest, for a dollar mind. Harping back to Empire Rose, she won the Melbourne cup by half head but she was so long that her hindquarter was clearly behind Natski's (runner up) hindquarter!

Yes, trifectas all used to be $1 units, can't remember when they introduced the 50c option. My best return was $4,500. Got quite a few between $1,000-$2,000. Haven't taken one for quite a few years now, easy to get out of the habit.

Trifectas are a mugs bet. Have been since the co mingling started. Trifectas were never co mingled as the TAB took more out of the pools over and above what was acceptable to their Aussie partner. Trifectas were a cash cow reaping about 27% takeout for the TAB.

Speaking of the Melbourne Cup trifecta with Empire Rose. Natski, forget the 3rd place, it was a beauty at the time 1988?, about $1600.

• Like 3

My problem is that I can't get the breeding on horses like I could on the old app and currently can on the website.  I think they have referred me to a PDF format on the app but that is next to useless and too time consuming and too much back and forth.  Having issues all the time with tabs not working eg today the "my Bets" tab.

Generally I consider that the TV/Website/app have all been done on the cheap why copying stuff from elsewhere.  I very much preferred the old versions and this is a great step backwards.  Hopefully not indicative of things to come