Bit Of A Yarn

Bookmakers shorten odds but don't lengthen others?

Brodie

I was under the impression that if Bookies shorten up odds, they should be lengthening out others?

Havent had a punt for many weeks now as odds are not appealing as well as fields generally too even and not worth the risk!

Just having a gander at Addington tomorrow night and seeing what the punters are offloading on.

Race 5 a very even field with many chances and the Bookies have reduced the win odds on 4 horses reasonably significantly one of them $3.60 into $2.50 and the others by a 2 or $3.

Interesting that they have not lengthened any of the other horses whatsoever!

Is this what is a normal practice nowadays?

• Like 1

On 20/09/2023 at 5:23 PM, Brodie said:

I was under the impression that if Bookies shorten up odds, they should be lengthening out others?

Havent had a punt for many weeks now as odds are not appealing as well as fields generally too even and not worth the risk!

Just having a gander at Addington tomorrow night and seeing what the punters are offloading on.

Race 5 a very even field with many chances and the Bookies have reduced the win odds on 4 horses reasonably significantly one of them $3.60 into $2.50 and the others by a 2 or $3.

Interesting that they have not lengthened any of the other horses whatsoever!

Is this what is a normal practice nowadays?

Owned by Entain so don't expect too much in the way of any favours towards punters. Thought they may have changed the bookies as the pricing is not great. A lot of or any big movers in the markets on any given race is 100% bookies getting the opening odds wrong and most races you see a lot of movers.

The only reason they would be making money is because most smart punters are restricted and can not get on at the opening odds otherwise bookies would be toast.

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

Owned by Entain so don't expect too much in the way of any favours towards punters. Thought they may have changed the bookies as the pricing is not great. A lot of or any big movers in the markets on any given race is 100% bookies getting the opening odds wrong and most races you see a lot of movers.

The only reason they would be making money is because most smart punters are restricted and can not get on at the opening odds otherwise bookies would be toast.

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the first 4 or 5 favourites place odds are all ridiculously under what they should be on opening!!

You are probably correct that it is Entain’s policy to make it unattractive for punters to get on at fair odds!

Not sure how many punters are actually still betting with the so called Bookies now, personally just can not be bothered at the moment and I am sure many others arent either.

I do know the tote pools in many races are absolutely pathetic and they must be losing money?

There can not be much being wagered with the Bookies when large bets are advised to us of $200 lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the first 4 or 5 favourites place odds are all ridiculously under what they should be on opening!!

You are probably correct that it is Entain’s policy to make it unattractive for punters to get on at fair odds!

Not sure how many punters are actually still betting with the so called Bookies now, personally just can not be bothered at the moment and I am sure many others arent either.

I do know the tote pools in many races are absolutely pathetic and they must be losing money?

There can not be much being wagered with the Bookies when large bets are advised to us of $200 lol.

i think your right,but it is a strategy that appears to be able to increase their winning %.That seems to be all they focus on.They don't seem to worry that they are suppressing turnover on the ff and also the tote,as the tote dividends for the 5 favorites reflect the ff odds and consequently are less inviting as well.

They seem to work on the idea that its better to win 20% of $1000,instead of trying to win 11% of $2000 invested.

Mathamatically they could be doing better and encouraging betting,but that doesn't seem to be their stategy.

they open everything at about 15% under what they assess as a realistic price,then immediately slash the odds if any horse receives support in accounts held by punters who they have tagged to receive alerts on bets placed. Thats why if you observe the whales selections you are betting on them after they have opened at 15% less than they should, then have been immediately slashed another 15% when he places his own bets as soon as the ff markerts are out,so in effect anyone backing the whales selections half an hour after the odds come out are betting on a horse at 30% less than what the bookies asssessed as a fair price.

as you point out the tote pools are too small to justify any significant spending.

• Champ Post 1

My observation is that with NZ harness, if you are betting the day before (say between 4pm opening and 9pm), the market moves are all automated, especially based on accounts. I get the impression that generally no actual traders are watching the markets at this time.

So what you see sometimes is multiple horses auto-firm after bets are taken but no one manually winding the others out until the next morning when someone is in the office (or logged in, however they do it).

This isn't the iron clad rule (for example, doesn't apply when there's also a race meeting on such as Friday 4pm when they opened Winton for Saturday because the traders were monitoring for Addington) but is almost always the case on Wednesdays for the Thursday meeting.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2023 at 11:04 AM, Spatchcock said:

My observation is that with NZ harness, if you are betting the day before (say between 4pm opening and 9pm), the market moves are all automated, especially based on accounts. I get the impression that generally no actual traders are watching the markets at this time.

So what you see sometimes is multiple horses auto-firm after bets are taken but no one manually winding the others out until the next morning when someone is in the office (or logged in, however they do it).

This isn't the iron clad rule (for example, doesn't apply when there's also a race meeting on such as Friday 4pm when they opened Winton for Saturday because the traders were monitoring for Addington) but is almost always the case on Wednesdays for the Thursday meeting.

I reckon you are on the money Spatchcock.

Are you the guy that promotes himself as "always on the money" ?