NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Ladies First

Ashley

Total incompetence from Sharrock.  Give the horse to a professional Trainer.

Allan Sharrock says he has nobody but himself to blame after missing the first acceptance payment for next month's A$7 million Gr.1 Melbourne Cup (3200m), rendering Gr.1 Auckland Cup (3200m) winner Ladies First ineligible to start.

The New Plymouth trainer was alerted to his mistake when talking to co-owner Humphrey O'Leary, who noted that there were 85 horses remaining in contention after Tuesday's first acceptances.

Sharrock hurriedly made calls to Victoria Racing Club and Racing Victoria officials and took advice off racing administrators and fellow trainers in New Zealand but to no avail.

"It was plain and simply an oversight and I have to own that," Sharrock said, adding that he had feared he could lose Ladies First because of his mistake.

"Humphrey and Fiona were very understanding and I'm incredibly grateful for that. I woke up in hot and cold sweats last night. It's a sack-able offence as a trainer but they have been great."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A blessing in disguise for the connections...easier pickings here ..and I daresay Sharrock wont be sending them a training bill for the next 3-6 months!

If I were the owner of LF I'd be making discreet enquiries to the D Weir and C Waller camps. She is an exceptional stayer and Patrick Erin is showing what Kiwi stayers can do over there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Total incompetence from Sharrock.  Give the horse to a professional Trainer.

Allan Sharrock says he has nobody but himself to blame after missing the first acceptance payment for next month's A$7 million Gr.1 Melbourne Cup (3200m), rendering Gr.1 Auckland Cup (3200m) winner Ladies First ineligible to start.

The New Plymouth trainer was alerted to his mistake when talking to co-owner Humphrey O'Leary, who noted that there were 85 horses remaining in contention after Tuesday's first acceptances.

Sharrock hurriedly made calls to Victoria Racing Club and Racing Victoria officials and took advice off racing administrators and fellow trainers in New Zealand but to no avail.

"It was plain and simply an oversight and I have to own that," Sharrock said, adding that he had feared he could lose Ladies First because of his mistake.

"Humphrey and Fiona were very understanding and I'm incredibly grateful for that. I woke up in hot and cold sweats last night. It's a sack-able offence as a trainer but they have been great."

Absolutely Ashley, if the owners leave that mare there, then they deserved what they got.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Weasel said:

If I were the owner of LF I'd be making discreet enquiries to the D Weir and C Waller camps. She is an exceptional stayer and Patrick Erin is showing what Kiwi stayers can do over there.

Dont they already own Who Shot the Barman?    Whats the bet LF doesn't come back from Australia and stays there with C Waller.   At least Waller has a computer.  And manners.

Edited by Ashley

4 hours ago, Reefton said:

Te Akau in Brisbane didn't it?  Melody Belle in her 3yo year?

Realistically would Ladies First have been a hope even if she had got in?

I don’t think she has the class to win at that level in Me.bourne...BUT what they did miss was The Metropolitan that Patrick Erin won...that was her race...as I’ve said previously..but I can’t believe a trainer in this day and age, could not have those dates loaded on to his phone...but hey, what do I know?  And by the way there are OTHER trainers apart from Waller & Weir...

I do feel for the owners having been denied the opportunity of a Cup runner,  possibly their only chance..it’s still top of the Wishlist for most genuine racing people (let’s exclude the 30somethings who are only interested in Stud value and Asian money). I had the opportunity to saddle a runner in the Cup back in 1991 ... just a fabulous day. 

• Like 1