Bit Of A Yarn

Olivia, Sam O and Zac

Gammalite

Thursday night Addington see's some more stars getting ready for their Big assignments next month.

As the unbeaten Millwood Nike resumes she is to be driven by Olivia Thornley this week. wow !! best of luck Olivia and congrats on scoring the Big drive !!!   Millwood Nike on the trail of the NZ oaks (Derby too ?) 

Where is Mark and Natalie ?  Does anyone know ?   seems wierd neither is driving ........

Blair Orange is suspended so misses out. Cox probably got dragged as has in the past, been beaten on so many Allstars runners, so that is no surprise.

Excellent to see Olivia get a Big chance !! (although ironically NOT invited into the junior drivers championship Heats Thursday with her 2 siblings.

and Sam Ottley and Zac Butcher with 2 x ALLSTARS drives each as well . good drivers in general so should be in the money ?     

15 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Where is Mark and Natalie ?  Does anyone know ?   seems wierd neither is driving ........

I think Mark maybe suspended.  The real mystery is why Nat is not driving. I really thought she would have turned up to drive Self Assured last Friday, and then not taking the drive on MN is just strange.  Has she given up driving or will she turn up on Cup Day.  Does anybody know? 

33 minutes ago, With A Dream said:

Mark maybe suspended.  The real mystery is why Nat is not driving.

thanks for that . Yeah have just seen it was a suspension for whip use on his drives last Friday winning on Chase A Dream (getting warning)  and then 2nd on Franco Indie (   you were warned Mark the steward said, a mug like you should be on the sidelines ,where did you learn to drive ? ). stewards know best as always .

Just watched The BOX seat. what a great show that is 🏆 .  Mick and Greg are totally respectful to everyone , and chatted with youngsters Nathan, Olivia, Carter D, Ben Hope, Zac B amongst others so the future looks great with these young stars. All of them were excellent speaking too ...

No one mentioned Natalie though so something is going on ... hopefully just a minor injury or something like that maybe. 

13 hours ago, Gammalite said:

No one mentioned Natalie though so something is going on ... hopefully just a minor injury or something like that maybe. 

So why didn't they mention it?

On one hand those that present that show make out they are out to inform people and ramble on each week about the nz cup,and who's paying what, but they would know that people are interested in who will be driving which horse.

Having said that,it doesn't surprise me they haven't said much. They may or may not know,like last time she took a break...

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, the galah said:

So why didn't they mention it?

On one hand those that present that show make out they are out to inform people and ramble on each week about the nz cup,and who's paying what, but they would know that people are interested in who will be driving which horse.

Having said that,it doesn't surprise me they haven't said much. They may or may not know,like last time she took a break...

Sort of agree with you . she has taken off home here to Queensland before for weeks at a time.

Wasn't driving in September , so Nat is some time 'away' again now.

Greg O'Connor and Mick seemed real 'close' to them on other broadcasts i've seen of their show , where they crossed to them at home and everything quite chummy. I'm sure they must know what is going on ? part of their job. they talk to a LOT of people. if just vacation you think they would be able to say that Straight off the Bat you would think.

oversea's trips might take a few weeks though...  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Sort of agree with you . she has taken off home here to Queensland before for weeks at a time.

Wasn't driving in September , so Nat is some time 'away' again now.

Greg O'Connor and Mick seemed real 'close' to them on other broadcasts i've seen of their show , where they crossed to them at home and everything quite chummy. I'm sure they must know what is going on ? part of their job. they talk to a LOT of people. if just vacation you think they would be able to say that Straight off the Bat you would think.

oversea's trips might take a few weeks though...  

I agree. All their silence does is lead to speculation. Its counter productive in many ways.

Who drives what horses in races with markets open is information they have a duty to research and inform people.

I think they most likely do know. i think they knew why last time as well.Maybe last time they thought the reason was none of anyones business and maybe the reason is not something they can discuss.

Still,even if that is so,this topic is proof that silence hasn't been the right strategy.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

Well without Nat about, and 'Marky' and 'Blair' both having a night  off suspended,  Olivia Thornley currently on 50 career wins, gets to almost certainly go to 51 on the nice filly Millwood Nike. thursday night.

Olivia won the Nz Oaks last season in December (so has a Group 1 driving win 🏆) on the erratic filly (now retired) NO MATTER WAT.  Olivia saying she was playing up in training recently, jumping out of gear and that,  so they have given up on her. she was a bit of a headcase so surprised Mark didn't drive it himself instead of using the Junior driver during it's career.  

actually, Mark and Nat never drove that filly in a race !!! what an amazing stat 😳. An Oaks winner not driven by either of them is pretty crazy. No Matter Wat driven by Olivia for 12 of her 13 starts (5 wins) and Tony Herlihy drove her in The Grins Race this year (unplaced). 

7 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Well without Nat about, and 'Marky' and 'Blair' both having a night  off suspended,  Olivia Thornley currently on 50 career wins, gets to almost certainly go to 51 on the nice filly Millwood Nike. thursday night.

Olivia won the Nz Oaks last season in December (so has a Group 1 driving win 🏆) on the erratic filly (now retired) NO MATTER WAT.  Olivia saying she was playing up in training recently, jumping out of gear and that,  so they have given up on her. she was a bit of a headcase so surprised Mark didn't drive it himself instead of using the Junior driver during it's career.  

actually, Mark and Nat never drove that filly in a race !!! what an amazing stat 😳. An Oaks winner not driven by either of them is pretty crazy. No Matter Wat driven by Olivia for 12 of her 13 starts (5 wins) and Tony Herlihy drove her in The Grins Race this year (unplaced). 

O thornley actually drove millwood nike to win its first couple of races.

I'm not sure No matter what was a headcase. It always ran like something was bothering it. Somehow it was able to race like that. They actually reported at one stage it was sold for big money which seemed surprising someone would try and buy a horse with a problem that even the all stars with all their skill and vets couldn't fix.Then they reported the sale fell through because it hadn't passed the Vet. It was a horse that o thornley's quiet style seemed to suit better than any other driver.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

How fitting for the Thread . $181 Trifecta . that's the way to do it !! 💰🍻

Olivia , Sam and Zac  in the money as predicted 🍾 

and great job on Millwood Nike too by Olivia ... a very nice treble driving for the young lass !!! 

Participants for Race 7: DUNSTAN HORSEFEEDS SIRES' STAKES FILLIES (HEAT 3) MOB PACE
Place Book Horse Barrier Hcap Stakes Fav Time Margin Driver Trainer
1 4 Waterfront 4 fr 12,500.00 4/4 2-25.5   O G Thornley (J) Mark 
2 11 Madrid 11 fr 3,750.00 5/5 2-25.5 0.20 S J Ottley Mark 
3 5 Treacherous Baby 5 fr 2,000.00 1/1 2-25.8 1.70 Z E Butcher Mark 
Edited by Gammalite

On 3/10/2023 at 6:21 PM, Nowornever said:

Will start 1.20 or less.

Guaranteed winner with Purdon or Rasmussen driving, but bookies will have a chance with Olivia in the sulky.

Those bookies are pricing a lot of these races quite badly at the moment which is great for the punters. Can not believe they gave 1.30 for Millwood Nike. Closed 1.10 so opening 1.30 was miles away. Keep those juicy odds coming Entain