Bit Of A Yarn

Alana Cameron?

Newmarket

Foveaux Gambler ended up in the one one the last lap, Alana waited until others went around her, blocked for a run, charged home to just miss. 
I didn’t have a punt on it, so not my money talking, but she should be charged for not trying with the horse, plain and simple. Happens too many times with certain drivers, let’s see what stipes say 

18 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Foveaux Gambler ended up in the one one the last lap, Alana waited until others went around her, blocked for a run, charged home to just miss. 
I didn’t have a punt on it, so not my money talking, but she should be charged for not trying with the horse, plain and simple. Happens too many times with certain drivers, let’s see what stipes say 

Horse needs one run at them for best results but yes would have gone close if she moved earlier.

I thought Kerry Hadfield's drive on Portelli was the worst drive of the bets I had today. I hate it when drivers take the length of the straight to pull airplugs or hoods or whatever and then the gap they should have been in has closed because of their snail like movements. At least he got up for third. I would have been spitting if he ran fourth. Trifecta paid unders in that race I thought. I was hoping for 3K

3 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Horse needs one run at them for best results but yes would have gone close if she moved earlier.

I thought Kerry Hadfield's drive on Portelli was the worst drive of the bets I had today. I hate it when drivers take the length of the straight to pull airplugs or hoods or whatever and then the gap they should have been in has closed because of their snail like movements. At least he got up for third. I would have been spitting if he ran fourth. Trifecta paid unders in that race I thought. I was hoping for 3K

I agree with your comments about the cameron drive.Just following a horse who's form indicated it would not take it into the race. But as you say she was driving a horse that always seems to be driven for one late run at them,so maybe just following instructions.

As to the portelli drive.In my opinion I don't think it had a clear run at any stage and didn't see anything wrong with the driver taking a  couple of seconds to see if a gap would appear before he pulled the earplugs. Not much point in driving into a non existant gap.

Edited by the galah

5 minutes ago, the galah said:

I agree with your comments about the cameron drive.Just following a horse who's form indicated it would not take it into the race. But as you say she was driving a horse that always seems to be driven for one late run at them,so maybe just following instructions.

As to the portelli drive.In my opinion I don't think it had a clear run at any stage and didn't see anything wrong with the driver taking a  couple of seconds to see if a gap would appear before he pulled the earplugs. Not much point in driving into a non existant gap.

At least have the hood off ready to go if there is a gap, not the other way around. A second lost is quite often the difference between winning and losing or in this case the difference between a gap closing and being in the gap.

big gap.JPG

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

At least have the hood off ready to go if there is a gap, not the other way around. A second lost is quite often the difference between winning and losing or in this case the difference between a gap closing and being in the gap.

big gap.JPG

Nice picture to make your point. But that picture is at the 200m just as the horse in the trail has moved into the passing lane . 50m later the gap is closed and unlikely portelli could have picked up the 2 lengths to take the gap in such a short distance.Also i'm not sure pulling the hood earlier when he was still on the back of the trailing horse would have achieved anything. Sure it may have perked him up a little but he also may have had to take hold and lose momentum just prior to the passing lane had the horse got keen. I just think being an inexperienced non win trotter its hard to see how the driver did anything that cost him a chance of a closer finish.Also he did break the previous start in the home straight and the driver would have been aware of wanting to keep him in a nice rhythm to ensure he didn't this time as well..We will have to agree to disagree,but i can see your point.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Nice picture to make your point. But that picture is at the 200m just as the horse in the trail has moved into the passing lane . 50m later the gap is closed and unlikely portelli could have picked up the 2 lengths to take the gap in such a short distance.Also i'm not sure pulling the hood earlier when he was still on the back of the trailing horse would have achieved anything. Sure it may have perked him up a little but he also may have had to take hold and lose momentum just prior to the passing lane had the horse got keen. I just think being an inexperienced non win trotter its hard to see how the driver did anything that cost him a chance of a closer finish.Also he did break the previous start in the home straight and the driver would have been aware of wanting to keep him in a nice rhythm to ensure he didn't this time as well..We will have to agree to disagree,but i can see your point.

They probably only wanting place money anyway at this stage but that horse is good enough to win a couple with a bit more experience.

9 hours ago, Nowornever said:

They probably only wanting place money anyway at this stage but that horse is good enough to win a couple with a bit more experience.

You did well to analyse the form and recognise that a win may come soon for that horse. It started at 60/1 i think.I know when you do the study and have one of them come home and pay a big place dividend like portelli did,that it can be very satisfying.

Horses that start at those prices and end up running somewhere are getting harder to find these days. I think the punters that are still betting these days mostly have good knowledge of the form.The number of uninformed punters betting is dropping and that is why its getting harder to find a horse at a good price that actually delivers. I also know that when you do spot one at long odds like portelli,that your hoping it gets the right run and pays a dividend before others recongnise its potential and its future potential dividends are significantly shortened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael said:

Surely you are being sarcastic, facetious or attempting to be witty?

Australian gallops at the Metro Tracks are far superior than any NZ racing. Far more competitive racing, far better jockeys, far better tracks. 

As for harness, you have less team driving in Aus, drivers take on leaders all the time, rather than the nonsense stacking up the fields in NZ. 

I see the Butchers tried to help each other win the last race, sadly stablemate gasping turning for home carrying back stablemate, then family member Zac wins. 

On 10/23/2023 at 1:25 PM, Newmarket said:

Did mainly comment on Aus gallops racing for big money. But I think Aus harness on whole more competitive than NZ

The comment I was focussing on was "team driving", not "competitive"

This is a trotting forum so excuse me for missing that you were commentating on Aussie gallops mainly