Bit Of A Yarn

The Everest Isn't A Sprint

Chief Stipe

21 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

If you shoved your arrogance where the sun don't shine for a moment and re-read the article you may get the point of it.  Instead of calling it "horseshit"!

The first three horses don't have sprinter breeding and two have won over 1500m or more.  Not many out and out sprinters get past 1400m.  There are always exceptions but they are few.  The trainer of the winner wants to race him over longer distances which he is bred to succeed at.

I guess it is one of the reasons that Moody kept IWIW fresh.  He ran third in the Memsie first up over 1400m then didn't race for 6 weeks.

The other point the article makes is that The Everest has thrown a spanner in the race pattern.  The lure of the dirty lucre!  Another one of the reasons I don't think the race will have longevity.  Although overseas horses might save it.

You may find it doesn't need ..saving!

20 million is alot of...clams...and the rank and file love...it.

Some would say the MC has been 'saved' by overseas horses...Australasian stayers aren't much...chop.

5 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Some would say the MC has been 'saved' by overseas horses...Australasian stayers aren't much...chop.

The reason is that first Australia and then New Zealand reduced the number of opportunities for stayers.  The Everest just as The Golden Slipper does will further shift the dial towards sprinters.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes.  A sprint is classed up to 1600m.

I certainly don't think many would consider 1600 a sprint. Longines uses the following categories for their world rankings.

S 5f - 6.5f : 1000m - 1300m

M 6.51f - 9.49f : 1301m - 1899m

I 9.5f - 10.5f : 1900m - 2100m

L 10.51f - 13.5f : 2101m - 2700m

16 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The isn't a hell of a lot of class 1200m or true sprinter form in the rest of field past 4th.  I'm starting to think you didn't look at the field at all.

I'm starting to think you don't know that slot holders pay big money for their slot and try and select the best of the sprinters around to run for an event over 1200m for $20million.🙄

42 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

I'm starting to think you don't know that slot holders pay big money for their slot and try and select the best of the sprinters around to run for an event over 1200m for $20million.🙄

No they select the best from those that are available.  For example Imperatriz and Asfoora weren't available.

Alcohol Free was nowhere near Yulongs first choice.  

Is 1400m too far for a Sprinter ?   some famous Group 1 winners didn't take it on very often ??? 

Nature Strip never raced out that far . 1200m and less.... (22 wins from 44 race starts)

Black Caviar  one start at 1400m , 1st in the CF Orr Stakes by 3 lengths .  ( 25 from 25 lifetime )

Takeover Target , 7 starts at 1400m for 3 wins .  ( 21 wins from 41 starts overall )

Schillaci  , maybe he's the best ? Not just winning the Lightning, Oakleigh and the Newmarket but also took out the Futurity at 1400 and the George Ryder 1500m at Rosehill .  (1/2 length 2nd in the Straddie too with 58kg retirement race 👍)   (16 wins from 36 overall)

10 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Is 1400m too far for a Sprinter ?   some famous Group 1 winners didn't take it on very often ??? 

Nature Strip never raced out that far . 1200m and less.... (22 wins from 44 race starts)

Black Caviar  one start at 1400m , 1st in the CF Orr Stakes by 3 lengths .  ( 25 from 25 lifetime )

Takeover Target , 7 starts at 1400m for 3 wins .  ( 21 wins from 41 starts overall )

Schillaci  , maybe he's the best ? Not just winning the Lightning, Oakleigh and the Newmarket but also took out the Futurity at 1400 and the George Ryder 1500m at Rosehill .  (1/2 length 2nd in the Straddie too with 58kg retirement race 👍)   (16 wins from 36 overall)

This one wasn't too bad...

Manikato | Racing Victoria

• Like 1