Bit Of A Yarn

The Invitation: an example of where novelty races in NSW is going wrong. NZ's South Island Only Race Too!

Chief Stipe

6 hours ago, Doomed said:

It still means southerners can't race at Trentham in March and be eligible for their own race. Seems strange to create a race that potentially means horses have to miss a group race elsewhere so they can be eligible for a richer non group race. I do struggle to understand how that helps the racing pattern, but greater minds than mine have obviously thought it through.

I don't see anything in the conditions for the race that would prevent horses otherwise eligible  for the SI race from racing in any Group race (or non-group race) anywhere at any time. Nothing I can see to stop an eligible horse going to Trentham for say the Cuddle Stakes in March and remaining eligible. I'm not sure where you are reading that or making that interpretation.

3 hours ago, curious said:

I don't see anything in the conditions for the race that would prevent horses otherwise eligible  for the SI race from racing in any Group race (or non-group race) anywhere at any time. Nothing I can see to stop an eligible horse going to Trentham for say the Cuddle Stakes in March and remaining eligible. I'm not sure where you are reading that or making that interpretation.

Being a Colt or Gelding would prevent them from starting in the Cuddle.

On 10/25/2023 at 6:03 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Good point but those Karaka races have some quality about them.

Here we are leading up to Cup week at Riccarton and there is an Open Handicap 1400m race on Saturday with 13 starters with an average rating of 81. 

Not as bad as the Open 1200 at Pukekohe on Sat for $65k, only 7 horses and average rating of 80.57. Riccarton is punching.