Bit Of A Yarn

Gammalite....he was ok :)

Walt

Very good Walt lol. yeah had a regular bloke owner /trainer and farmer driver . 2 Interdominion Grand Final Wins (one of those at Auckland ) 

The days when you don't have to be a multi millionaire to Win the Big races . Like the Owner of Nz Derby winner Merlin (Dean Shannon) the other day,  Owner of Leap to Fame (seymour) , all of Mark+Nathan Purdons owners and Nz Cup winners Copy That and Swayzee (Boots)  in recent times.

When's the last time a regular , say factory worker or teacher or man of the land won a Big One.?

Boots and Seymour own near 500 horses between them and have 2 horses each (All the 3 favourites) in the 2023 Interdominion Grand Final this Saturday.

here's a Boots article  today >>>>>>>>>>

'Knockabout' owner can reap more success in Inter Dominion

13 December 2023 | Adam Hamilton (RQ Media)
Logo

21858.jpg

Self-described knockabout Mick Boots is by far the biggest harness owner in this part of the world, but teaming up with fellow NSW Riverina horseman Jason Grimson has unlocked his feature race success.

Boots, 61, owns "well over 200" horses with 43 different trainers in Australia and New Zealand and has two runners – Swayzee and Nerano – in Saturday night's Group 1 Inter Dominion pacing final.

Both are trained by Grimson.

"I've raced horses for 16 years since and really stepped it up the past few years, but ‘Grimmo' (Grimson) won the first really big one for me with Betterzippit in The Nullarbor (in Perth) in April," Boots said.

"Since then, he's gone on to win the Blacks A Fake and New Zealand Cup for me with Swayzee and now he's got these two in the Inter Dominion final. It's been some sort of year."

It's a match made in heaven for the Riverina lads with Boots born, raised and still living in Leeton, while Grimson is from Young, but now trains at Menangle.

Inter Dominion history awaits Grimson, who is trying to become the first trainer to win three successive pacing finals with different horses.

He won with Boncel Benjamin on protest at Menangle in 2021 and I Cast No Shadow at Melton last year.

Boots, a retired self-made millionaire, first met Grimson in early 2021 at the Melbourne yearling sales, did some homework on him and sent him a horse to train a few months later.

"I spoke to Peter Birks, a great old-fashioned horseman from West Wyalong. He's a legend in these parts and he said Grimmo used to hang around as a kid and that he had ‘it'. He could see things in horses most couldn't," Boots said.

"I'm sure the great facilities they train from at Menangle help, but Grimmo is a real horseman. I remember early, he said ‘let a horse be a horse, get all that gear of it and start again'."

134ffd4b-6fb8-45b3-abf4-30d12cd87ea2.jpg

Nerano has gone to another level during the Inter Dominion series. Picture: Dan Costello

While Grimson's deeds with Swayzee have been his greatest yet, Boots is in awe of how he's not just resurrected the once promising Nerano, but taken him to a new level.

"Nerano was sold to the US, but he did a tendon the next day and I refunded the money as a good bloke would do. The horse had his rehab, went to Grimmo first-up for seven months and bolted in at Menangle. It's all gone from there.

"He's really peaked through this series and he's got a terrific turn of speed."

Boots' first Inter Dominion runner was Bundoran, who won a heat in 2021 before finishing ninth in the final for trainer-driver Amanda Turnbull.

He returned and ran ninth at Melton last year.

"The Inter Dominion has so much history behind it, it's a thrill to be part of it again, especially with two runners," Boots said.

"I don't get to the races much, I'm just a knockabout block who prefers to lay low around home, but I'll be at Albion Park this week."

Swayzee is $2 favourite and Nerano is $5 third elect, so Boots is well poised to win his first final and give Grimson his third on the trot.

But Boots said Grimson has perhaps his biggest challenge yet to have the pair primed for a clash with hometown hero Leap To Fame.

So, who does Boots lean to?

"I don't want to sound negative and I hope I'm wrong, but I think both of mine will find it hard to beat Leap To Fame," he said.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

When's the last time a regular , say factory worker or teacher or man of the land won a Big One.?

Thats the thing isn't it. Theres no longer any relatable examples for the regular every day people to look to for inspiration.

All the big races are won by the big/high profile stables with mostly similar owners.

You look at the auckland cup that walt has shown and it was a full field with not one stablemate. Many of the runners coming from small time trainers and drivers.Because there were no stablemates,all the drivers were out for themselves,with no team driving like you now see regularly on the big days.

That was a major part of why the sport was so great back then. Those still around who experienced all that now realise they were privileged to have done so.Thats why so many who follow the sport nowdays are older. They developed a love for the sport and that never really goes even if things are different these days.

The interviewer of gammalites trainer was phillip leishman,one of new zealands highest profile media personalities for years. He died at just 61 after a brain tumor. He loved his racing and covered it a lot and also loved many other sports like golf. Racings des coppins i think was his best man at his wedding.

By the way gammalite,was that you in the white singlet at the start of that clip?

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, the galah said:

Thats the thing isn't it. Theres no longer any relatable examples for the regular every day people to look to for inspiration.

All the big races are won by the big/high profile stables with mostly similar owners.

You look at the auckland cup that walt has shown and it was a full field with not one stablemate. Many of the runners coming from small time trainers and drivers.Because there were no stablemates,all the drivers were out for themselves,with no team driving like you now see regularly on the big days.

Exactly right. I think everyone in the media and here on forums has been in awe and very impressed of the wonderful achievements and the Group 1 Wins of those select few Professionals there in Nz.  for example the best going Allstars and Dunn's with 2 each , then S+ATelfer and Phil Williamson winning the eight Group 1's on GrandPrix Day . and Barry Purdon (with Phelan Partner) winning 2 as well with multi millionaire QLD owner of Derby Winner Merlin.  seemingly the Five Top stables in New Zealand. 

*****BUT....just seems the 'Dream' is over for 'owner Trainers'. through all the Big races now. 

Not long after Gammalites day's saw a market gardener in Auckland (Notman) get Village Kid  going , and then sold him to an owner trainer Bill Horn , a Butcher .. to take the Mantle of best horse down-under. wouldn't happen nowadays. the PRO's are just Way Too Good and prepared.

Armalight had a true amateur trainer Smith (winning Auckland and Nz Cups) , John Tudor in the Auckland Cup there too with the Dodds brothers, Greg Robinson taking on a few for old Max Robinson..plenty of regular folk could send them round and have a chance.  there's just something great About the Big Race Winners that Do it with just One horse only .........

The thoroughbreds too... the trainer doing their One horse , is just so Special .  

Won't be anymore Snowy Lupton with Kiwi  Melbourne Cup, (or Takeover Target with his taxi driver owner trainer won at Royal Ascot in the end ) winning the Big Gallop races either. I guess there's lucky 'regular' owners with 'Micro shares ' in ones like Melody Belle and that I spose. But they have no say in the racing, so don't even 'really own them' as in making decisions about anything to do with it's racing. they're even sold off at Broodmare sales at the end of racing as a clause as well. so that is just not the same as having your own horse.... 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

. I guess there's lucky 'regular' owners with 'Micro shares ' in ones like Melody Belle and that I spose. But they have no say in the racing, so don't even 'really own them' as in making decisions about anything to do with it's racing. they're even sold off at Broodmare sales at the end of racing as a clause as well. so that is just not the same as having your own horse.... 

None of that is correct @Gammalite and you know it.  I know a first time owner who is having a ball at the moment and is experiencing everything I ever experienced when I owned more than half 9f a good horse I bred from a $600 broodmare and a $50 lottery ticket.

I'd say that person is having a far far better experience than I had.

34 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You obviously haven't kept up with some of the recent successes in OZ.

Yeah  know I shouldn't of bought gallopers owners/syndicates into the conversation.

didn't mean to offend you about that stuff.

the Australian Oaks winner with her 80 owners and All during last season. 

Anyway what is HARD to FIND is the owner/ and or trainer of Standardbreds, doing All the work with the horse, and then Winning a Big Group 1 race , While Not being a Household name horseperson training more than One horse at that level ever .

We used to find a few of those around  . 

Was thinking about it because Interdominion is on . Lorraine Nolan from NewZealand won the last one at Brisbane 22 years ago. YULESTAR Nz Horse of the Year 2000 season... Did she have another Group horse like that ? I think not. 

That's the sort of person I'm after  and trying to give Credit here too ... 

Can you think of others ? 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Have often wondered what the record books would if the whip laws that are in place now were in place in years past. 

Some horses just can't be driven quietly and still produce their best. Some of the big names of yesteryear in Australia fall into that category.

I wonder how long a holiday Pete would have got in 1985 when he won the Cup with Borana in what I felt was a superb drive. If that happened now would Borana even hold the Cup?

On 12/14/2023 at 4:30 PM, Gammalite said:

Anyway what is HARD to FIND is the owner/ and or trainer of Standardbreds, doing All the work with the horse, and then Winning a Big Group 1 race , While Not being a Household name horseperson training more than One horse at that level

On 12/14/2023 at 5:03 PM, Blackie said:

Peter Bagrie trained Bettor’s Heart in the 2020 Ladyship Mile ?

Jeremy Young ... wins the Group 1 'Queen of Hearts' a few minutes ago with 'Lady of The Light'.

congratulations to Jeremy on the Big Group 1 Win tonight at Alexandra Park and to be on the winning Group 1 trainer list .

Lady of the Light placed in Group 1's last year behind True Fantasy , but with Marky Boy not turning up tonight at Auckland , the local good mare gets her Big Win !!!!!

• Like 1

Jeremy Young ... wins the Group 1 'Queen of Hearts' a few minutes ago with 'Lady of The Light'.

congratulations to Jeremy on the Big Group 1 Win tonight at Alexandra Park and to be on the winning Group 1 trainer list .

Lady of the Light placed in Group 1's last year behind True Fantasy , but with Marky Boy not turning up tonight at Auckland , the local good mare gets her Big Win !!!!!

I think he trained a group 1 winner about 5 years ago.Best western i think it was.If my memories correct he was geoff smalls foreman.

On 15/12/2023 at 11:17 PM, the galah said:

I think he trained a group 1 winner about 5 years ago.Best western i think it was.If my memories correct he was geoff smalls foreman.

I was getting jeremy young mixed up with brad mowbray, brad mowbray was stable foreman for geoff small.

Jeremy young,i asssume is the same jeremy young who worked for the all stars and was auckland reactors constant companion wherever he went.

Young travelled to the USA with auckland reactor,spending time in new jersey where auckland reactor was initially based.

Edited by the galah