Bit Of A Yarn

Final Field of 8 for the 2018 Cox Plate

Chief Stipe

Below is the field and barrier draw for the Cox Plate.

No

Horse

Trainer

Jockey

Barrier

Weight

BENBATL (GB)

Saeed Bin Suroor

Oisin Murphy

59kg

HUMIDOR (NZ)

Darren Weir

Damien Lane

59kg

KINGS WILL DREAM

Darren Weir

John Allen

59kg

AVILIUS

James Cummings

Glyn Schofield

59kg

D'ARGENTO

Chris Waller

Kerrin McEvoy

57.5kg

WINX

Chris Waller

Hugh Bowman

57kg

ROSTROPOVICH (IRE)

Aidan O'Brien

Ryan Moore

56kg

SAVVY COUP

Michael & Matthew Pitman

Chris Johnson

55.5kg

Racenet
Articl

Guest CrossCodes

Pitman sure is loyal keeping Johnson on when he could have had a pick of any top Australian jockeys to ride her, I just gop it doesn't bite him in the bum.

I don't know why...but for some reason i'm nervous about Winx....i really want her too win it,but i have no idea why i have this nervous feeling inside me.Even tho my old mate Humidor is in the race too,and he did get close to her last year,i probably won't bet in the race...almost feel like a nervous owner of her's..i wish.And ive had a few wins from Savvy and im sure she will run a race and CWJ definitely won't be out of place in Melbourne.

• Like 2

Good luck to Savvy Coup. She will no doubt start the outsider of the field (imo), but if you fancy, you can get 75-80s. As per last year, whether Winx wins or not, I wouldn't touch her at the prices on offer (outside of promotional bets for those interested). I rather be on Benbatl or Rostropovich if I were to bet, which I won't be.

Although I did offer a $100 promotional bet on Winx to run top 4. I gave odds of $1.17 which was snapped up - so good luck to that punter! At least it won't make me poor (or rich)!

14 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

Pitman sure is loyal keeping Johnson on when he could have had a pick of any top Australian jockeys to ride her, I just gop it doesn't bite him in the bum.

I think it actually shows there is still some loyalty left in this game,So many would  be quick to drag of a winning combination.I congratulate pitty for sticking with cwj.    C W Johnson has nothing to prove to anyone,he has ridden over 2000  winners ,so he knows where the winning post is.I think it is fantasic  ,just the fact to have a runner against the mighty winx,to race in a cox plate, i sure they will all do the south island proud.

• Like 1

I remember going to Flemington with a friend back in 1986. It was a midweek meeting, and present was the trainer of my friends horse Bevan Laming, and a young apprentice in Chris Johnson. Chris was to ride the horse, and it was his first ride in Australia. It was a staying race, about 2000 mtrs from memory. My friend was confident the horse could win, so we were all armed with cash to hit the bookies at the same time. Chris rode a top race, giving the horse every chance, but alas 3rd was its lot. Luckily my friend place bet it with the bookies and actually came out with a profit, paid $2.75 on the tote from memory. This I am sure was Chris Johnsons first ride in Australia. I think he will give Savvy Coup every chance if good enough. Being a small field means it will be a race of tactics, balance, and judgment which Chris possess in spades. Good luck to the Savvy Coup team.

• Like 3

Guest CrossCodes

Watching the wat Johnson rides I fail to see how he will get he best out of Savvy Coup competing against some of the best riders out there.

He doesn't look like he can even get the best out of those he rode at Wingatui today, his strike rate this season is abysmal for someone who everyone rates so highly, stats don't lie!

Yea, agreed at one point he may have been the best rider going around in NZ, but let's face it that means diddly squat when you are up against the Australian riders who are arguably the best in the world.

I hope I am wrong and she gets a big slice of the pie, but I just hope the rider doesn't stuff things up.

She's tough CC, she has to be, she has won races when sitting 3 wide the journey, pulling her head off, not an easy ride, this blokes on a hiding to nothing in all reality, he slaughters her, a laughing stock, the Aussies take no prisoners, he wins, well, the winner cam laugh and the other please themselves....very intriguing, for mine the Poms will win this, Winx wont get he charmed run through she has had previously at the Valley, the Poms will go hard as they do....a great race coming up. The valley isn't as tough as some make out, I've been lucky enough to win a few there when I trained in MEL including the Cox Plate distance......the secret, keep out of trouble!

• Like 1

Saturday is her (Winx) Waterloo. 

I would love it to be the Pitman, Coupland, Bruford, Johnson team, but in my opinion it will be Benbatl.

I hope that that the mare (Savy Coup) runs out of her skin and does all of us (NZ) proud.

For the record I have backed Benbatl at 12’s and 2.50 so I am happy. It’s a great each way bet.

Closer to the day I will have a nice touch for a place on Savy Coup.

Should Winx win I will shed a tear, but if she gets beat and my horse wins it will be a mixture of happiness and sadness, with a little bit of satisfaction that I got it right against the odds on offer.

Isn’t that what the betting game is all about? Horse against horse? Opinion against opinion?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

I would love it to be the Pitman, Coupland, Bruford, Johnson team, but in my opinion it will be Benbatl.

I hope that that the mare (Savy Coup) runs out of her skin and does all of us (NZ) proud.

For the record I have backed Benbatl at 12’s and 2.50 so I am happy. It’s a great each way bet.

Should Winx win I will shed a tear, but if she gets beat and my horse wins it will be a mixture of happiness and sadness, with a little bit of satisfaction that I got it right against the odds on offer.

Isn’t that what the betting game is all about? Horse against horse? Opinion against opinion?

Yep, it is.

2 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

And over here, it's you against the bookie, may the best man win.