Bit Of A Yarn

Wanganui straight track

Stipesboy

12 hours ago, Stipesboy said:

How's the new straight track going summer coming and all grass track what's everyone thoughts on the open day not alot said

Fucken awful decisions left right and centre

Saw it yesterday. The project will be a complete failure.

The tracks curved so the centres higher then the outside.

They want this track to replace the sprint races at wanganui Which is insane.

You will need strong 450m dogs for this distance. Most sprinters will struggle 250m straight let alone a 350m+ straight

No middle distance dogs will race there because theres more money in middle distance races and itll be too long for the squibs.

and the straight track they based the design of doesnt race for 6 months of the year. So whats the point?

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

You will need strong 450m dogs for this distance. Most sprinters will struggle 250m straight let alone a 350m+ straight

No middle distance dogs will race there because theres more money in middle distance races and itll be too long for the squibs.

Geesh BOL, have some faith.

GRNZ have a top-of-the-line track & infrastructure manager on the books now so how could anything possibly go wrong with a new track? Beyond that superstar, there are 15 other suits in headquarters to oversee the long overdue project.

Besides, once they get the straight track up & running (if ever), they could turn to the Palmerston North club for advice on how to reinstate a shorter starting position, since PN were able to reinstate a once abandoned dangerous starting position exactly in the same place it used to be in, just to shorten the distance on their track by 35m.

Disclosure - this post could possibly contain sarcasm.

GRNZ built a straight track that had a curve?

I wouldn't be surprised.

That could explain why racing didn't commence in April 2023 as they claimed it would.

image.png.7ce3ab21c45631b1bb23913a0eaa136d.png

I suspect that while in Capalaba, the project manager & engineer decided to copy the road next to the grass track instead of the track itself.

image.thumb.png.fe83d9a341453dacbe5d9909a3223d1a.png

On 27/12/2023 at 4:47 PM, Stipesboy said:

O wow really hope it doesn't have to much of a curve that would be unsafe can the public see the track not sure why so much silence on this topic 

I just dont see the straight track getting utilised often unless they matched middle distance stakes or shorten the distance for the 300m dogs to race.

I used to have my own straight back in the day and 200-250m was ideal for sprinters, 300-350m for middle distance dogs and 400-450m for distance dogs.

Any trainers that arent aware of this will find out fast.

Then theres everything else alswell. Its in a poor location where the audience wont be able to see them, the track is grass and will only race 6 months a year like Capabala, the track the straights supposed to be based on, theres no running rail, its a drag lure with no inside rail at all.

Seems to be little actual thinking here from grnz and a complete waste of money

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, curious said:

Not a dog person but just saw this. There was quite a bit of discussion with Foxton Racing Club a few years back about putting a straight dog track in there. Club was open to it. Might have been a better option? Would have been a genuine straight course.

Might have been a better solution to have a stand alone track with different distances.

Time will tell i guess

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 11:50 AM, curious said:

Not a dog person but just saw this. There was quite a bit of discussion with Foxton Racing Club a few years back about putting a straight dog track in there. Club was open to it. Might have been a better option? Would have been a genuine straight course.

And Levin years before that.  It will be interesting.  I hope they achieve their objective of less injuries.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/12/2023 at 5:39 PM, Yankiwi said:

That could explain why racing didn't commence in April 2023 as they claimed it would.

Per GRNZ (8/02/24):

"The starting boxes were installed and commissioned by Steriline last Thursday, and these are now operational. Additionally, the drag lure and back-up motor was installed and commissioned last week by the manufacturer, and it is now operating.

At this stage, it is now anticipated that the track surface will be ready for trials commencing on or shortly following 6 March"

Not bad!

They might even have guessed which month the go button would finally get pressed a year ago, unless of course this new timeline happens to be achieved before the end of March.

• 2 months later...