NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Wanganui straight track

Stipesboy

38 minutes ago, BitofaLegend said:

Interestingly enough on our own straight track we used to train on - wide dogs would all run to one side of the track and railers would run to the other even with a drag lure through the middle.

This always seemed to be a pretty common action from the 100s of dogs that came through

Perhaps they are looking for fast lanes on the track?  Bit like the Thoroughbreds on the straight 1200m at Flemington!

On 13/06/2024 at 11:54 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Perhaps they are looking for fast lanes on the track?  Bit like the Thoroughbreds on the straight 1200m at Flemington!

Think its more of a behavioural trait. Wide runners used to go to what we considered the outside of the straight and railers to the inside. Used to be a somewhat good indicator when breaking dogs in too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

6 non-tote races on the straight track today.

The stakes scale seems very odd.

Maidens racing for $2400.

image.png.dad2d3ae18107d13ef82e52ad6cedfdb.png

The C1 fields are racing for $1150.

image.png.a19d6cbd01d76a981b40cddc768dcfd2.png

image.png.9bceaa4e3014b9d4b57e616015b16f8f.png

image.png.9b8382d2a34ab4dd5b21ea602aa02930.png

And the C2/C3 fields are racing for $1350.

image.png.63599beee963506a51934b9d2aaaa6ae.png

image.png.baf84090b3598e2ad74b71cb5bcf9ee1.png

Why are the maidens, with a combined 154 races without a single win, racing for double the stake money?

4 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

6 non-tote races on the straight track today.

The stakes scale seems very odd.

Maidens racing for $2400.

image.png.dad2d3ae18107d13ef82e52ad6cedfdb.png

The C1 fields are racing for $1150.

image.png.a19d6cbd01d76a981b40cddc768dcfd2.png

image.png.9bceaa4e3014b9d4b57e616015b16f8f.png

image.png.9b8382d2a34ab4dd5b21ea602aa02930.png

And the C2/C3 fields are racing for $1350.

image.png.63599beee963506a51934b9d2aaaa6ae.png

image.png.baf84090b3598e2ad74b71cb5bcf9ee1.png

Why are the maidens, with a combined 154 races without a single win, racing for double the stake money?

Were they actually racing for anything? 

Replays have been uploaded for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/@GreyhoundRacingNZ/videos

Questions:

• Race #3: The #4 was well ahead of the field then visibly eased for about 12 strides from the winning post. Why wasn't it referred to the vet post-race and/or charged with FTP?
  • Race #4: The #8 just gets its nose in the lead then visibly eased about 6 strides from the winning post. Why wasn't it vetted or charged?

Here's what was going on in race #4.

About 3/4 of the race behind them, all the dogs were running from the center of the track to the left in this angle.

image.thumb.png.1891f70cd172cfed6ff4be73993b47da.png

Then as they approach the winning post & cool-down area, all the dogs get funneled into the other half of the track.

image.thumb.png.a8542a9b9e321a82d8ed9838f5256bea.png

The #8 put the brakes on because it saw that the design of the track forced it out of its running line, something that won't happen to dogs that run on the right side of the track in the head-on view.

image.thumb.png.8009b7187630089a1664f6681f46dbd9.png

One of these two things needs to happen to rectify the issue.

• Make much more distance between the winning post & cool down area.
  • Make the cool down area the same width that the track is.

Watch the replays & you'll see what I mean.

Poor design IMHO.

Edited by Yankiwi

14 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

What issue exactly?

15 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

The #8 put the brakes on because it saw that the design of the track forced it out of its running line

15 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Watch the replays & you'll see what I mean.

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

The #8 put the brakes on because it saw that the design of the track forced it out of its running line

I don't see any problem - not that I could see how you could see through the fence.

But it looks a lot safer than the dogs all jamming up at the lure on the circular tracks!  Anything else to criticise?

BTW - looks like the natural injury rate is over 4%.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the first race from the Wanganui straight track and couldn’t believe the unprofessionalism shown. I thought it was against the rules to have cellphones at the start of a race. Interestingly enough one of the culprits appears to be GRNZs national track curator who quite clearly took a call while waiting on the start of the race. 

IMG_0242.png

IMG_0246.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chapdog said:

Just watched the first race from the Wanganui straight track and couldn’t believe the unprofessionalism shown. I thought it was against the rules to have cellphones at the start of a race. Interestingly enough one of the culprits appears to be GRNZs national track curator who quite clearly took a call while waiting on the start of the race. 

One person with a phone is on the other side of the fence at the start.  The alleged Curator is also on the other side of the fence.  I don't see anyone with cellphones on the track itself.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

One person with a phone is on the other side of the fence at the start.  The alleged Curator is also on the other side of the fence.  I don't see anyone with cellphones on the track itself.

You miss the point why cell phones are a no no anywhere near the boxes regardless which side of the fence the perp is on. Its the audio which is the telling factor, can the dogs hear it?.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, aquaman said:

You miss the point why cell phones are a no no anywhere near the boxes regardless which side of the fence the perp is on. Its the audio which is the telling factor, can the dogs hear it?.

What is no one allowed to talk near the start?

4 hours ago, Chapdog said:

I thought it was against the rules to have cellphones at the start of a race.

It seems the "rule" only applies to handlers/catchers.

image.png.177a6fff12ffb485a4a44ac04b662bc4.png

The rule doesn't apply to a former trainer & now current GRNZ staff member around/behind the boxes, even when that staffer is a former training partner of a current trainer that has a charge in the race.

image.png.cfa2b40343d39f6af5ff124fbf43c6da.png

It becomes even more suspicious when the ex-training partners charge goes on to win the race at extreme odds.

image.png.09a7491fdaea076d15fa0f7caa8da319.png

Since the RIB seems to have their hands tied in this matter, someone would have to ring GRNZ to seek integrity.

This is GRNZ's suggested person to contact for integrity matters.

image.png.60c06c29890ab779c155750a7b5bb580.png

48 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

It seems the "rule" only applies to handlers/catchers.

image.png.177a6fff12ffb485a4a44ac04b662bc4.png

The rule doesn't apply to a former trainer & now current GRNZ staff member around/behind the boxes, even when that staffer is a former training partner of a current trainer that has a charge in the race.

image.png.cfa2b40343d39f6af5ff124fbf43c6da.png

It becomes even more suspicious when the ex-training partners charge goes on to win the race at extreme odds.

image.png.09a7491fdaea076d15fa0f7caa8da319.png

Since the RIB seems to have their hands tied in this matter, someone would have to ring GRNZ to seek integrity.

This is GRNZ's suggested person to contact for integrity matters.

image.png.60c06c29890ab779c155750a7b5bb580.png

FFS!  Anymore conspiracies you want to add to your already extensive list?  Did the dog have a micro chip in its head that the guy with the phone could send a message to?  

Chazza you are either a trainspotting nutter or have no interest in Greyhound Racing continuing when you write this bullshit.

15 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

FFS!  Anymore conspiracies you want to add to your already extensive list?  Did the dog have a micro chip in its head that the guy with the phone could send a message to?  

Chazza you are either a trainspotting nutter or have no interest in Greyhound Racing continuing when you write this bullshit.

Once upon a time there was a high profile central district trainer who experimented giving their dogs live kills whilst having a particular cell ringtone ringing. The lesson being that when dog heard the ringtone, it identified with getting a live kill. Next step was to have somebody ring the phone that was in the handlers pocket whilst behind the boxes. This was an old Aussie rort getting copied here.  This was the main reason for the phone rule.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

FFS!  Anymore conspiracies you want to add to your already extensive list?

Have you asked yourself why the rule is there in the first place?

Edited by Yankiwi

38 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Once upon a time there was a high profile central district trainer who experimented giving their dogs live kills whilst having a particular cell ringtone ringing. The lesson being that when dog heard the ringtone, it identified with getting a live kill. Next step was to have somebody ring the phone that was in the handlers pocket whilst behind the boxes. This was an old Aussie rort getting copied here.  This was the main reason for the phone rule.

Easily fixed isn't it.  Have the phone on silent.  Do you think anyone in their right mind would let their phone ring while behind the boxes?  

20 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Easily fixed isn't it.  Have the phone on silent.  Do you think anyone in their right mind would let their phone ring while behind the boxes?  

Yes, so the doggy can get to hear it.

14 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Really so that's the biggest thing you and @Yankiwi are worried about?

Do you actually have skin in the game still or are you like Chazza and want to moan about all the minutiae?

No I do not have skin in the game as you put it.

I was simply pointing out to you the relevance of the phone rule and why. My takeaway from your answers was you didn't understand.

4 hours ago, aquaman said:

No I do not have skin in the game as you put it.

I was simply pointing out to you the relevance of the phone rule and why. My takeaway from your answers was you didn't understand.

I understand the rule and the reasons however like many rules in all three racing codes it is hamfisted and archaic.  Surely any possible cheating can be addressed by instructing all those participants to have their phone on vibrate or silent mode.  The pictures don't show anyone behind the boxes but over the fence.  I imagine there are two-way radios in use to transmit instructions to the start.  

At the end of the day it is just nit picking by what seem to be disgruntled past stakeholders.

19 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I understand the rule and the reasons however like many rules in all three racing codes it is hamfisted and archaic.  Surely any possible cheating can be addressed by instructing all those participants to have their phone on vibrate or silent mode.  The pictures don't show anyone behind the boxes but over the fence.  I imagine there are two-way radios in use to transmit instructions to the start.  

At the end of the day it is just nit picking by what seem to be disgruntled past stakeholders.

You just don't get it.

• Like 1