NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Wanganui straight track

Stipesboy

On 19/07/2024 at 1:21 PM, Chief Stipe said:

I understand the rule and the reasons however like many rules in all three racing codes it is hamfisted and archaic.  Surely any possible cheating can be addressed by instructing all those participants to have their phone on vibrate or silent mode.  The pictures don't show anyone behind the boxes but over the fence.  I imagine there are two-way radios in use to transmit instructions to the start.  

At the end of the day it is just nit picking by what seem to be disgruntled past stakeholders.

Clearly, this is something you know very little about and it shows.

Phone use near the dogs before a race has always been a big nono. Ever since a trainer was giving his dogs live kills while playing a sound and had a bystander playing the sound during stirups.

The rule is there for a reason and should be enforced.

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

Clearly, this is something you know very little about and it shows.

Phone use near the dogs before a race has always been a big nono. Ever since a trainer was giving his dogs live kills while playing a sound and had a bystander playing the sound during stirups.

The rule is there for a reason and should be enforced.

You all seem blinded by the first image of someone holding a cellphone.  The issue is someone playing a sound to encourage a dog to perform better.

There are any number of devices that can do that much more efficiently and discretely than a cell phone.

Who in their right mind would hold a cellphone and play a sound at the start?

In the first picture provided it appears there weren't any dogs at the start.  If so what was a young person dressed in pink doing behind the boxes?

In the second picture one of those with a phone isn't anywhere near the boxes and the other person is supposedly an official.

Is the latter in their right mind going to use their phone to play a sound with all those witnesses?  Or do we have a conspiracy amongst all the participants?

Nope it's an archaic rule that doesn't actually address what it is trying to prohibit - the playing of sounds to stir up a particular dog.

Nit picking.  I don't know why GRNZ have bothered with putting in the straight track as the usual suspects have moaned about every little aspect they can find.  Including our resident trainspotter Chazza who hasn't trained a Greyhound in how many years?

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You all seem blinded by the first image of someone holding a cellphone.  The issue is someone playing a sound to encourage a dog to perform better.

There are any number of devices that can do that much more efficiently and discretely than a cell phone.

Who in their right mind would hold a cellphone and play a sound at the start?

The handler's voice could do that couldn't it? Would that be illegal?

38 minutes ago, curious said:

The handler's voice could do that couldn't it? Would that be illegal?

Even a specific word.  I only have to say "possum" to my rent-a-dog and it is on full alert - and I mean full alert.  Don't mention the word "walk" either if you want a quiet afternoon watching the racing.

I have actually been in the lounge of a Thorughbred trainer and seen their ex-rescue from the Blind Dogs doing this exact same thing.  No training was involved for obvious reasons!!!  Damn difficult to get a line on your horse when a dog is jumping in front of the screen!

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Including our resident trainspotter Chazza who hasn't trained a Greyhound in how many years?

I hate to nitpick Chief, but if you're going to have yet another dig at me at least you should be accurate.

I have never trained a greyhound in my life.

I suspect you haven't trained a greyhound either.

So that begs the question, how do I seem to know much more about it than you do?

Go make yourself a nice cup of coffee Chief. Maybe you could put a teaspoon of Ironvita Blood & Oxygen in it instead of sugar, to get your blood working like a champion.

• Haha 1

Had a hard time deciding whether to post this on the Wanganui straight track or You can't make this $hit up thread. Decided to put it here.

Here's yet another example of the lack of integrity within greyhound racing.

Race 5 today, the #7 seriously had the breaks on short of the line for the final 5 or 6 strides (becoming very typical as I estimate at least 1 in 10 dogs are currently doing it).

The photo finish image they provide doesn't even have the lead dog at the finish line yet.

That begs the question, did the #7 or #3 actually win the race AT THE FINISH LINE?

image.thumb.png.3191538c5d5bbf61185bbeb914d9b547.png

Click Here For Race 5 Replay

Then in race 8 today, the dog #1 makes one of the tracks major design problems glaringly obvious.

image.thumb.png.1407aff2f143b470075682d3ccdbd750.png

Click Here For Race 8 Replay

GRNZ, you should not be holding tote races on this track until a complete redesign of the narrowing down to the catching area is made to make both sides of the track equal AND increasing the distance between the winning post & caching area has been done.

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

Then in race 8 today, the dog #1 makes one of the tracks major design problems glaringly obvious.

image.thumb.png.1407aff2f143b470075682d3ccdbd750.png

Click Here For Race 8 Replay

GRNZ, you should not be holding tote races on this track until a complete redesign of the narrowing down to the catching area is made to make both sides of the track equal AND increasing the distance between the winning post & caching area has been done.

WTF are you on about?  One dog decides to go home the others get on and race.  

13 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

One dog decides to go home the others get on and race.

Why did the dog do it?

It never happens on an oval track, where it simply eases up for no good reason & reverses direction. The only time on the oval a dog does reverse direction is after it has fallen or has sustained a very serious injury.

2023/2024 NZ racing season ~

• 200 starters on the straight track - one instance.
  • 35111 starters on oval tracks - zero instances.

14 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

AND increasing the distance between the winning post & caching area has been done.

Many dogs are putting the brakes on short of the finish line. This particular dog amplified what is regularly happening, not only easing well short of the finishing line but also turning around & running back on top of it.

18 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Why did the dog do it?

Ask the dog.  BTW have you ever had a dog?  You don't seem to understand dog behaviour very well.

20 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

It never happens on an oval track, where it simply eases up for no good reason & reverses direction. The only time on the oval a dog does reverse direction is after it has fallen or has sustained a very serious injury.

What you don't want straight tracks now?  The dog was well out of the race, decided to bash the other one and then went "right where is my handler - yep down where I started"...

22 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Many dogs are putting the brakes on short of the finish line. This particular dog amplified what is regularly happening, not only easing well short of the finishing line but also turning around & running back on top of it.

Do you have statistical evidence of that?  Get onto it - number of dogs, distances they start stopping at, speed differences between runs.

If there is a problem, and we are only taking your limited observations on this subject, then perhaps it is just getting used to running in a straight line.  Perhaps the Wanganui track will be a dogs for courses track.

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

The dog was well out of the race, decided to bash the other one and then went "right where is my handler - yep down where I started"...

The silver collar (or other 700m+ races) where dogs are brought right past where their handler has just boxed them away, don't quit chasing the lure and simply divert to the boxes to say hello.

image.thumb.png.261f971bcaf49167b0d1bb84f8b5cc04.png

Dogs are easing prior to the line at the straight track because their vision is saying to them that the catching area is the edge of the cliff & they aren't keen on jumping off it.

More distance between the finish line and the catching area will eliminate that effect as well as giving them room to funnel the dogs into the narrower area by tapering them in from BOTH sides of the track to a more central area. You know, just where the lure they have been chasing has just been dragged thru.

If I didn't want straight track racing, I wouldn't be offering opinions on how to remedy the OBVIOUS design flaw.

Have your say Chief, explain the actions of the #7 dog during race 5 yesterday in its last 6 or so strides prior to the finish line.

image.thumb.png.d800324698bda99bc2d964def8cf03de.png

It didn't slow because it got instantly tired.

image.png.5e062b90c138d652dae04269b2ce36cb.png

14 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

@Yankiwi you are the self proclaimed expert show us what other tracks have e.g. Richmond Straight.

Well Chief, here's the Capalaba track GRNZ flew over to observe/survey/copy for the Wanganui project.

image.png.0e45a903d8762571b29001a0e5240b59.png

The Capalaba track obviously has a drag lure down the center of the track.

However, it doesn't narrow down the track prior to the finish line to funnel dogs into a catching area.

The Wanganui "straight" track has made it way to Google at a time prior to completion.

image.png.beb2fe80f84e077ea33f2cc9e330ebec.png

Why aren't the outside barrier fences parallel?

This is what GRNZ built.

image.thumb.png.ac24be06355dc20f6b8950d219f9267a.png

This is what GRNZ was supposed to copy.

image.png.ed85506b58061afcb3e9ebc6c749b7b7.png

They seem different?

You keep supporting/defending GRNZ Chief.

I'll keep calling out the bullshit they don't want you to know/notice.

• Champ Post 1
  • Fake News! 1

58 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

You keep supporting/defending GRNZ Chief.

I'll keep calling out the bullshit they don't want you to know/notice.

21 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

LMAO

Wanganui Crooked Track.

image.thumb.png.45da0d495fc4eae6dd696737b27885de.png

GRNZ - Don't build another one of these in the North or down South.

You're out of your depth.

You're an idiot - any moron can see that the picture is distorted!!  You have changed the Google map options from 3D to 2D and then zoomed in effectively distorting the picture.  You really are posting fake news now to discredit GRNZ for no other reason than you have an axe to grind obsessively.screenshot-www.google.com-2024.07.26-11_02_53.png

Here is a picture in 3D - doesn't look as crooked does it?  The visual perception of it not being straight is because there is a variation in the depth from the satellite view i.e. there is a slight undulation.  The galloping track isn't that crooked either as you can see from the 3D satellite picture from above.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Mmmmm the State Highway bridge across the Wanganui River doesn't look like I remember it!

Wanganui's oval horse track home straight is straighter than the dog track.

image.png.c7c753fb9ba15536d602008a74e28808.png

image.png.416625149fe158ae9a1c69139a23bd09.png

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

The visual perception of it not being straight is because there is a variation in the depth from the satellite view i.e. there is a slight undulation.  The galloping track isn't that crooked either as you can see from the 3D satellite picture from above.

Breaking News.

Chief redefines "straight" in an attempt to defend GRNZ's failure.

image.thumb.png.54d8278df30eb67161b339cb00b24b74.png

image.thumb.png.38cf04c38c3632baf4e2d7f5a532b459.png

image.thumb.png.a5c8c35ef3bf3b17c757917b71cdf47f.png

image.thumb.png.e1a19455911c995d0c99b5b3889ef338.png

image.png

Edited by Yankiwi

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

Breaking News.

Chief redefines "straight" in an attempt to defend GRNZ's failure.

image.thumb.png.54d8278df30eb67161b339cb00b24b74.png

image.thumb.png.38cf04c38c3632baf4e2d7f5a532b459.png

image.thumb.png.a5c8c35ef3bf3b17c757917b71cdf47f.png

image.thumb.png.e1a19455911c995d0c99b5b3889ef338.png

image.png

You're an absolute Muppet @Yankiwi.  You are measuring lines on distorted photos taken by Google or a third party by an unknown method.

You've now started using the 3D version of Google Map photos but you have no idea what Google have done to the photo to account for depth to give the impression of 3D.

The other track you have clipped uses a different source of photos than the Wanganui one.  You can tell this by the difference in the point where the Zoom function causes the objects on the photo to switch to computer generated vector drawings.

So know I haven't changed the definition of straight but you have used a very poor method of determining straightness.

You really are making an absolute fool of yourself.

• Fake News! 1

GRNZ fights back about their crooked track.

They seem to be happy with it.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/News/3235/Wanganui-Straight-Track

Wanganui Straight Track

There have now been two totalisator race meetings at the Wanganui Straight Track. A huge thank you to everyone who has made this happen - we have had excellent feedback from owners and trainers whose dogs raced there, and also around the television coverage.

The scheduling for race meetings at the Wanganui Straight Track going forward will be finalised after next week’s GRNZ Board meeting on 31 July.

The separate August schedule for racing at the Wanganui Straight Track is currently being finalised with the Wanganui GRC, Entain and the RIB from a servicing perspective.

Thanks,
GRNZ

Posted on 26 July 2024