Bit Of A Yarn

Mmmmm Cracks appearing below the Cambridge AWT!

5 hours ago, billy connolly said:

Riccarton is now an on pace, front runners track which is the total opposite to what it was before they fiddled with it.

I thought it was the first horse to get hard up against the outside fence wins if there was any rain about. The poor man's Wanganui.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Special Agent said:

There is nothing hazy about the maintenance expense.  They cost truckloads to maintain.

Special Agent Mr Smart , I'm surprised you would see fit to contribute this to this forum.

Clearly you don't know shit from clay on the topic.....truckloads is not an amount than can be quantified ,it could be a Tonka Truck of Venezuelan bolivar !

I have reviewed Cambridge financials...the only one that have completed a couple of years trading.

Any Cost Accountant cold tell you that even tho they may had had a $million loss for year ,about $1.4 mill was Depreciation and this is a non cash item.

I'd guess you are one of those who had pre-conceived ideas about the track before it was even introduced therefore seriously biased . And not good with numbers !

5 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Special Agent Mr Smart , I'm surprised you would see fit to contribute this to this forum.

Clearly you don't know shit from clay on the topic.....truckloads is not an amount than can be quantified ,it could be a Tonka Truck of Venezuelan bolivar !

I have reviewed Cambridge financials...the only one that have completed a couple of years trading.

Any Cost Accountant cold tell you that even tho they may had had a $million loss for year ,about $1.4 mill was Depreciation and this is a non cash item.

I'd guess you are one of those who had pre-conceived ideas about the track before it was even introduced therefore seriously biased . And not good with numbers !

Dear oh dear, words of wisdom from the one who still seems to think Newmarket racing and training tracks are in Scotland.   Shit from clay, indeed...

• Haha 1

On 10/01/2024 at 3:24 PM, curious said:

Your source may have an argument Jim despite the manufacturer claims. It was reported a few years back that Pakenham had to add irrigation to the management mix for theirs a few years back to reduce the kickback to an acceptable level.

Hodge confident Pakenham issues sorted

Pakenham Racing Club chief executive Michael Hodge is confident the issues that led to the poor performance of the PolyTrack surface at Racing.com Park last Sunday have been rectified following a set of jumpouts at the venue on Wednesday.

Hodge was quick to put his hand up and accept that the track didn't race to required standard, with several leading trainers and jockeys voicing their concerns at the significant amount of kick-back that was being thrown up.

"There has been a lot of work done to rectify the performance from Sunday and what has been really pleasing from this morning is the industry feedback that I've been getting from jockeys and trainers, in particular jockeys who rode on this surface on Sunday, they've been particularly complimentary, suggesting that there has been a significant turnaround from Sunday," he said.

"Today there is less kick-back and the track is performing in the manner which they are accustomed to.

"There has been a reduction in the kick-back and the height of the kick-back too."

Hodge said the Pakenham Racing Club maintenance team watered the track, which can be affected by dry weather.

"There has been some change to maintenance techniques, there has been some irrigation added, it will be a combination of things," he said.

"It is very subject to climatic conditions, as a consequence of that, it does only require some minor modifications and we can get things back on track and we now hope all goes well for our next meeting on Sunday week."

David Brideoake raced horses at Racing.com Park on Sunday and was complimentary of the surface at the jumpouts on Wednesday morning.

The feedback from [ local ] riders who actually RIDE on the polytrack, is  inconsistent.  However one opinion that seems to be almost universal - I say almost because there will be one who disagrees - is that the surface is vastly better after rain.  That does indicate that irrigation would probably be a good idea, especially in the very hot, dry summers we regularly experience in Canterbury.

A visiting girl, here for a few weeks recently, said that riding on her home track [ Cambridge ] was like riding on a cloud.  Not so initially but very nice now.  Not so here.  I don't have any info as to management differences, but can only report her comments.

Two riders, from England/Ireland, both think there is inadequate top compared to the tracks they are used to.  Again, only reporting comments, so don't shoot the messenger!

Some trainers want the going firmer, others want it loose/fluffy.    Must be a nightmare for the track manager trying to keep everyone mollified.    My own opinion, is that there has to be an optimum preparation regime which managers should be adhering to, as best they can, without interference.

Another observation - this from an experienced traveller/rider/strapper, all over the world - is that a firmer, packed surface is actually safer for the horse.  The composite material, when tightened up, protects the horse from the tarmac layer underneath.  When ' fluffy' and loose,  as some want it, the horse has less protection and can cut through closer to the base.   Concussion from the base is a real risk then.

Jim's query, about running/walking on the track, I can answer;    I find even walking very difficult, and my reconstructed ankle doesn't like it at all.  Far more comfortable to walk on the nearby ambulance track, which is firm and level.   My dogs, when taken for a spin, will only cross it to get to more interesting areas in the middle.  The greyhound, who is mostly on the lead, hates it.

An acquaintance, who is a very fit soul and runs k's daily, tried it out and won't again.  Reckoned it was awful to run on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

You've just proven that the necessary daily maintenance is probably not occurring.

I suspect you aren't a cost accountant afterall as you've only looked at one figure in the accounts.

With a training centre that is touted as having 1,200 horses in work I'm surprised they haven't made a profit.  They were before the AWT and arguably could have funded their own AWT rather than getting a handout from the Government taxpayer.

You are being surprisingly loose with your description of depreciation as well.  Unless you aren't a very good accountant you'll know that depreciation is a mechanism by which the cost of replacement of a capital asset (or in the case of the AWT renovation when it is inevitably required) at the end of its economic life has been funded by offsetting against profit.  So the question is from your analysis has the Cambridge Jockey Club increased their cash assets sufficiently to fund future renovation?

Bearing in mind they started with a sizeable lump in the first place.

If they haven't then not only will the AWT be a White Elephant but a millstone.  With Riccarton and Awapuni given they don't have anywhere near the horse population they are a millstone from day one.  (There's a pun in their for Riccarton).

But what do you expect when there was clearly never any business plan done.  Now that the asset grab plan doesn't have any potential of success will another handout be required?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freda said:
On 10/01/2024 at 3:24 PM, curious said:

Your source may have an argument Jim despite the manufacturer claims. It was reported a few years back that Pakenham had to add irrigation to the management mix for theirs a few years back to reduce the kickback to an acceptable level.

Hodge confident Pakenham issues sorted

Pakenham Racing Club chief executive Michael Hodge is confident the issues that led to the poor performance of the PolyTrack surface at Racing.com Park last Sunday have been rectified following a set of jumpouts at the venue on Wednesday.

Hodge was quick to put his hand up and accept that the track didn't race to required standard, with several leading trainers and jockeys voicing their concerns at the significant amount of kick-back that was being thrown up.

"There has been a lot of work done to rectify the performance from Sunday and what has been really pleasing from this morning is the industry feedback that I've been getting from jockeys and trainers, in particular jockeys who rode on this surface on Sunday, they've been particularly complimentary, suggesting that there has been a significant turnaround from Sunday," he said.

"Today there is less kick-back and the track is performing in the manner which they are accustomed to.

"There has been a reduction in the kick-back and the height of the kick-back too."

Hodge said the Pakenham Racing Club maintenance team watered the track, which can be affected by dry weather.

"There has been some change to maintenance techniques, there has been some irrigation added, it will be a combination of things," he said.

"It is very subject to climatic conditions, as a consequence of that, it does only require some minor modifications and we can get things back on track and we now hope all goes well for our next meeting on Sunday week."

David Brideoake raced horses at Racing.com Park on Sunday and was complimentary of the surface at the jumpouts on Wednesday morning.
Expand  

The feedback from [ local ] riders who actually RIDE on the polytrack, is  inconsistent.  However one opinion that seems to be almost universal - I say almost because there will be one who disagrees - is that the surface is vastly better after rain.  That does indicate that irrigation would probably be a good idea, especially in the very hot, dry summers we regularly experience in Canterbury.

The surface should be consistent and to achieve that it needs to be managed relative to rain, irrigation and temperature and the mechanical fluffing of the track.  I assume it is never ever rolled with a heavy roller.

If it isn't managed consistently relative to those variables mentioned then they should be using a penetrometer on it before every race meeting.

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

The surface should be consistent and to achieve that it needs to be managed relative to rain, irrigation and temperature and the mechanical fluffing of the track.  I assume it is never ever rolled with a heavy roller.

If it isn't managed consistently relative to those variables mentioned then they should be using a penetrometer on it before every race meeting.

That's a good point. I don't see why they can't supply a penetrometer reading?

3 minutes ago, curious said:

That's a good point. I don't see why they can't supply a penetrometer reading?

It makes perfect sense to me as it would at the very least enable a comparison and/calibration with the turf track.  Obviously from @Freda comments depending on management of the surface the firmness differs.  If I was a trainer I'd like some quantitative measure of that.  At the very least it would eliminate some of the arguments from some of the trainers.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

It makes perfect sense to me as it would at the very least enable a comparison and/calibration with the turf track.  Obviously from @Freda comments depending on management of the surface the firmness differs.  If I was a trainer I'd like some quantitative measure of that.  At the very least it would eliminate some of the arguments from some of the trainers.

And inform punters. Not sure that a comparison with turf would be relevant but maybe.

There's no comparison with the information provided elsewhere. This from Canberra when they opened their poly last year:

As well as a Racing and Sports-produced synthetic form pointers preview, other key pieces of data will be made available on race morning for all Acton Track meetings. The following pieces of key data will be readily available to help better inform interested parties.

• Clegg Hammer reading – the Clegg Hammer is a tool used to determine shock absorption. The higher the Clegg Hammer reading, the firmer the surface. An average reading will be published.

• Moisture reading (%) – this is the moisture content of the track surface material. An average % will be published.

• Track temperature – this is the temperature of the track surface material. An average temperature will be published.

For reference, the readings obtained prior to the official barrier trial conducted on Friday 19th May 2023 are below;
• Clegg Hammer: 8.71
• Moisture: 18.9%
• Track temperature: 20°C

Track data will be released through the Canberra Racing Club’s Twitter account (@ThoroughbredPK) on all Acton Track race days from Friday, 23 June.

• Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, curious said:

And inform punters. Not sure that a comparison with turf would be relevant but maybe.

There's no comparison with the information provided elsewhere. This from Canberra when they opened their poly last year:

As well as a Racing and Sports-produced synthetic form pointers preview, other key pieces of data will be made available on race morning for all Acton Track meetings. The following pieces of key data will be readily available to help better inform interested parties.

• Clegg Hammer reading – the Clegg Hammer is a tool used to determine shock absorption. The higher the Clegg Hammer reading, the firmer the surface. An average reading will be published.

• Moisture reading (%) – this is the moisture content of the track surface material. An average % will be published.

• Track temperature – this is the temperature of the track surface material. An average temperature will be published.

For reference, the readings obtained prior to the official barrier trial conducted on Friday 19th May 2023 are below;

Track data will be released through the Canberra Racing Club’s Twitter account (@ThoroughbredPK) on all Acton Track race days from Friday, 23 June.

Brilliant information.  Oh we wish in NZ......

20 hours ago, Special Agent said:

There is nothing hazy about the maintenance expense.  They cost truckloads to maintain.

Aren't they maintained by the installer, Martin Collins? The last time I frequented Riccarton, Martin Collins were machine leveling the Polytrack. Ironical that Martin Collins also underwrote that abandoned NZ Cup meeting... on turf.

8 hours ago, Freda said:

An acquaintance, who is a very fit soul and runs k's daily, tried it out and won't again.  Reckoned it was awful to run on.

Surely the Polytrack is an improvement on that old sand track at Riccarton. In my time there the most used tracks were the sand, the plough and the inside cinder track for warm-ups. The sand (which was a piss-poor track) was open winter/summer and the plough, summer only whereas grass/turf tracks were mainly available for fast work with one open per session. In winter the grass/turf tracks cut up very badly after a single fast work session and had to be rested to recover.

As alluded, the drawback with Riccarton's Polytrack would be the fact that it has decimated all the former grass/turf tracks which provided very good footing throughout spring/summer/autumn but in its favour the Polytrack would provide consistency of footing year-round.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

You have no idea what I know.  I'm not sure why you need to be aggressive about opinions that differ from your's.  Chief has not banned me from his site yet, and as far as I am aware, anyone has the right to contribute on whatever subject they see fit.

Maybe as a person of racing significance and long time employee or fan of the TAB you can fill in the gaps that others are struggling with.

Have you factored in the replacement surface after the short life of the original?  Where do you think that money will come from?

Did you read the paper submitted to the Provincial Growth Fund by Alasdair Robertson which stated the financial benefit to the community when horse numbers trained at Awapuni increased to 400 once the AWT went in?  How many more than 100 horses are currently in work at the CD's premiere training venue?

Have you walked or ran on the Awapuni synthetic surface?  Have you seen the thin layer of top over the tarseal?  Have you studied the injuries out of training on the track?

If Cambridge as the largest training centre in New Zealand has posted a loss, what hope have any other tracks got of being saved from the NZTR hatchet?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, curious said:

Fact, not fiction.  We can only dream about such professionalism.

43 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

You have no idea what I know.  I'm not sure why you need to be aggressive about opinions that differ from your's.  Chief has not banned me from his site yet, and as far as I am aware, anyone has the right to contribute on whatever subject they see fit.

Maybe as a person of racing significance and long time employee or fan of the TAB you can fill in the gaps that others are struggling with.

Have you factored in the replacement surface after the short life of the original?  Where do you think that money will come from?

Did you read the paper submitted to the Provincial Growth Fund by Alasdair Robertson which stated the financial benefit to the community when horse numbers trained at Awapuni increased to 400 once the AWT went in?  How many more than 100 horses are currently in work at the CD's premiere training venue?

Have you walked or ran on the Awapuni synthetic surface?  Have you seen the thin layer of top over the tarseal?  Have you studied the injuries out of training on the track?

If Cambridge as the largest training centre in New Zealand has posted a loss, what hope have any other tracks got of being saved from the NZTR hatchet?

Well thanks, that much better a comment than your previous one ....it was very flippant and contained no FACTS at all.

Sarcasm....a person of racing significance , no way . After years of reading this site I decided to post of my racing experiences with a little bit of opinion.

Never been to the synthetic track at Awapuni so what would that prove if I ran on it.....I am an  gelding of declining pace so certainly wouldn't run on it ....rarely do you see people running on horse tracks. But at least some  horses I have an interest in have run on them ...all 3 ....in both trials and races ! Plus these horses have had a couple of wins and possibly extended one horses career. So far none of these horses have suffered injuries and the trainers are supportive of the tracks.

Actually very supportive ,and one trainer still rides work on them.

Yes I have walked on the Cambridge one and very impressed.

In my opinion the Cambridge one , probably Riccarton too was a much needed addition to NZ racing especially for training and especially when weather is bad.

As a small time owner....not a person of significance.....I also pleased my horses don't have to be carted all around our vast country to get a race on OK track eg Ruakaka . Cambridge ideally situated among horse population , and Riccarton heading that way too in South IMO. 
As for running at a loss..no real surprise...most businesses run at a loss first few years. Again I know this from personal experience , and in early years  can't spend your time worrying about how you gonna replace your main assets before both you and them have started earning their keep.

A quick check of a couple of my accounts from Cambridge show the most recent track fee was $150 plus GST a month per horse I note 5 years ago it was $135 plus GST. In the scheme of overall cost this is a very low charge IMO. The reason so many clubs rusted away has been the lack of investment in infrastructure. And to date Cambridge is chipping away at improving their facility .I've watched as too many Clubs /courses have put unnecessary strain on the industry.Many should have been closed and more regionalisation happened years ago...they been talking about the need for this since 1970's. And if the axed clubs wanted to maintain their status they should have done more to attract members , and connected more with their local communities and not become irrelevant. I used to live in a place that must have had 50 x trainers made up of full-timers ,part-timers and O/T.Most gone.And another place that lost their meetings thru lack of local interest ,but thats another topic.And JMO.

I read a bit about NZ racing , but again why would I get my knickers in a twist about the hardness of a training track or whose going to replace it in 20 years.

It doesn't concern me ....and I guess it shouldn't concern you. Why not concentrate on things you are responsible for and can do something about. If I was involved in the decision making , I certainly wouldn't be pounding out rubbish on an anonymous internet site thinking I was making a difference !

I watched a few races today ,had a horse run second , one a pleasing 5th .Will watch a few tomorrow on TV and most likely attend one meeting live over the next week.Have a few bets . Enjoy racing. Reading chosen and known negative stuff about racing is a waste of time.

All above is my experience with a little bit of Opinion. I actually like the Cambridge Synthetic track .I guess that obvious by now !

And remember ,we all put our trousers on the same way.

Just watched a race from Pau...like many of the overseas races on TV ...they run on clay ,dirt , synthetic all-weather...some of best racing in World , someone must know something !

5 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

All above is my experience with a little bit of Opinion. I actually like the Cambridge Synthetic track .I guess that obvious by now !

And remember ,we all put our trousers on the same way.

Just watched a race from Pau...like many of the overseas races on TV ...they run on clay ,dirt , synthetic all-weather...some of best racing in World , someone must know something !

Getting back to the original post...

Why were the Cambridge Synthetic Track trials cancelled and replaced by trials on turf at Taupo?

Why has there only been two trial meeting in the last four months at Cambridge?

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Getting back to the original post...

Why were the Cambridge Synthetic Track trials cancelled and replaced by trials on turf at Taupo?

Why has there only been two trial meeting in the last four months at Cambridge?

Because it's summer

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Right so it's only for the winter months?

As an outsider looking in,thats the impression I got when they used my tax dollars to pay for it.

To stop abandonments of trials/races in winter a to give the local trainers a consistent surface to gallop on instead of thrashing them around on the wet sand or grass.

I can only assume if your the last of the however many horse gallop on a Saturday morning it would be similar to playing a game of cricket on a 10 day old pitch which would be terrible. Correct me if I'm wrong but watching the races they seem to go wider and wider as the track deteriorates in winter. Do they have that luxury at morning trackwork? They appear to be restricted by road cones to 1 strip?

Do they race on the all weather's in the UK in summer? I ask as I have no idea

• Like 2

On 11/01/2024 at 11:53 PM, TAB For Ever said:

Just thought about this...

Does that mean the taxpayer is still paying as the depreciation on the asset they funded defers any tax being paid on any profit until who knows when?

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Just thought about this...

Does that mean the taxpayer is still paying as the depreciation on the asset they funded defers any tax being paid on any profit until who knows when?

Quite possibly Chief but should you or I be worried about this, does this concern us. I assume Chief that you 'love' racing and want it to continue and flourish. As Taxpayers we should be happy to pay for things that we really need to enjoy life.Like water ,power , health education ,roading ...all infrastructure. Think of the chaos if we contacted Government and Councils on every thing our taxes used for. 

Wasn't it the Government/Taxes who bailed out the TAB when it couldn't pay its monthly creditors and gifted us the Synthetic tracks to help future proof the Industry.Winston saw how desperate racing was .Historically NZRacing has paid a lot of taxes over the years , when I trained as a Cost Accountant with free tax-payers Education ,Taxes from NZ Racing always mentioned as a good source of funds for Government along with PAYE , Sales Tax , Income tax and then GST etc

If we gonna get all woke and morally concerned we should have been refusing to live off the pokies ,like racing did for years . The poor folk of South Auckland were funding many of our biggest races and racedays like the Harness Jewels.Earlier it was the booze and tobaco industries.Non racing must be getting pissed with the new barrage of Ads during sports events and ads on Facebook etc . Bet responsibly !

Dunno why horse racing lovers so averse to selling up the excess racecourses and land if they deemed to own them !

As for Accounting and Financial results...often just smoke and mirrors .Easy to manipulate ! Revalue , accrue , timing decisions etc

The odd poster must be reading my contribution , I'm actually surprised a few more aren't attacking my 'over positive views' but I guess they want to just give their oxygen to the negative posts toward NZ racing , or trying to convince  us their racing district of interest [ South Island  ] is actually doing pretty well.

Which is nonsense of course....but thank the Lord for NZCup week. It is without question the top week for betting and attendance in NZ and nicely placed a week [ usually] after the Melbourne Cup. 

Many post comments on on-course attendance.It fell away years ago , various attempts like Summer Holiday promotions,Xmas at races picked numbers up but generally meetings between Feb and November have been dwindling in attendance.Today is example of this..for years only Wellington Cup day has mirrored Trenthams halcyon days .15 years ago I flew up from South for Monday Anniversary day , I was only person in Public stand and the place resembled Chenobyl. I had been going to Trentham since I was a foetus !

Repeat....racing is now a TV sport/business. Folks encouraged /paid to bet on phones and folk prefer the TV courage , even tho they moan their arse about it.

I enjoyed today, interesting to see a few all-weather tracks to bet on..USA racing most of morning , Darwin , Glen Inness ,Korea during NZ racing . And Telegraph winner a previous Synthetic winner as was 4th horse ,and Times Ticking used Ricc Syn Trial to fit itself for Trentham stakes .

Reading the other Channel geez they moaning their arse off about Trentham ...racing was good [ Telegraph a little rough] so why worry about the other stuff. They let it rust away before their eyes. Its an all-in moanathon...Misery loves company !

7 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

As Taxpayers we should be happy to pay for things that we really need to enjoy life.Like water ,power , health education ,roading ...all infrastructure.

Really?  You put a racetrack in the same category as hospitals and schools and the roads to get to them? I suppose you expect the Government to fund you next Lamborghini!

Wasn't it the Government/Taxes who bailed out the TAB when it couldn't pay its monthly creditors and gifted us the Synthetic tracks to help future proof the Industry.Winston saw how desperate racing was

Yes and it shouldn't have happened.  The TAB was insolvent and should have been sold.  Instead we had Mackenzie play smoke and mirrors, rob the taxpayer and make no substantial changes to the fundamental issues the TAB had and still has. 

If we gonna get all woke and morally concerned we should have been refusing to live off the pokies ,like racing did for years .

Agree and I have been consistent with that line.  @Michael disagrees of course.

Many post comments on on-course attendance.It fell away years ago , various attempts like Summer Holiday promotions,Xmas at races picked numbers up but generally meetings between Feb and November have been dwindling in attendance.

Primarily at the big tracks.  The Westland Racing Club was still pulling the same crowds but the experts deemed it needed to be closed down.  As I said there were more people at Kumara on Nuggets Day than at Trentham on their Group Race day with the best horses in the country going round.  Who's got it wrong?

Trentham has been screwed by the administrators (the industry and their own club) and is suffering a death of a thousand small cuts.  Many many posters on BOAY have posted the reasons.

Repeat....racing is now a TV sport/business. Folks encouraged /paid to bet on phones and folk prefer the TV courage , even tho they moan their arse about it.

Not at Kumara or Te Aroha.  But a bit pointless having phone betting apps if you can't get internet access on course like at Motukarara!

Racing will fail unless it provides a point of difference between other entertainments and the hospitality industry.  The biggest difference is the horse and the oncourse experience.  Both should be promoted and facilitated.  

Times Ticking used Ricc Syn Trial to fit itself for Trentham stakes

Probably because all the options have been closed down both in the CD and Riccarton!

As for the Trentham track it was as rough as and inconsistent.  You only had to look at the patchwork colours of the grass. Anyone thinking otherwise is in dreamland.  The Club doesn't have any money to renovate the track even after selling off land around the shute while turning it into an urban housing and development rubble eyesore.  

The WRC awaits the promised land with the Joint Venture it has signed up.  That worked well for the Auckland Trotting Club - NOT!

Even if they do get the windfall I bet they don't spend it on a complete renovation of the turf (a horse focus) but will waste money sprucing up the amenities for punters that no longer turn up.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:06 AM, TAB For Ever said:

I read a bit about NZ racing , but again why would I get my knickers in a twist about the hardness of a training track or whose going to replace it in 20 years.

If you are hell bent on facts check how many years the synthetic track surfaces have before it is necessary to replace them.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 12:32 AM, TAB For Ever said:

Quite possibly Chief but should you or I be worried about this, does this concern us. I assume Chief that you 'love' racing and want it to continue and flourish. As Taxpayers we should be happy to pay for things that we really need to enjoy life.Like water ,power , health education ,roading ...all infrastructure. Think of the chaos if we contacted Government and Councils on every thing our taxes used for. 

Wasn't it the Government/Taxes who bailed out the TAB when it couldn't pay its monthly creditors and gifted us the Synthetic tracks to help future proof the Industry.Winston saw how desperate racing was .Historically NZRacing has paid a lot of taxes over the years , when I trained as a Cost Accountant with free tax-payers Education ,Taxes from NZ Racing always mentioned as a good source of funds for Government along with PAYE , Sales Tax , Income tax and then GST etc

If we gonna get all woke and morally concerned we should have been refusing to live off the pokies ,like racing did for years . The poor folk of South Auckland were funding many of our biggest races and racedays like the Harness Jewels.Earlier it was the booze and tobaco industries.Non racing must be getting pissed with the new barrage of Ads during sports events and ads on Facebook etc . Bet responsibly !

Dunno why horse racing lovers so averse to selling up the excess racecourses and land if they deemed to own them !

As for Accounting and Financial results...often just smoke and mirrors .Easy to manipulate ! Revalue , accrue , timing decisions etc

The odd poster must be reading my contribution , I'm actually surprised a few more aren't attacking my 'over positive views' but I guess they want to just give their oxygen to the negative posts toward NZ racing , or trying to convince  us their racing district of interest [ South Island  ] is actually doing pretty well.

Which is nonsense of course....but thank the Lord for NZCup week. It is without question the top week for betting and attendance in NZ and nicely placed a week [ usually] after the Melbourne Cup. 

Many post comments on on-course attendance.It fell away years ago , various attempts like Summer Holiday promotions,Xmas at races picked numbers up but generally meetings between Feb and November have been dwindling in attendance.Today is example of this..for years only Wellington Cup day has mirrored Trenthams halcyon days .15 years ago I flew up from South for Monday Anniversary day , I was only person in Public stand and the place resembled Chenobyl. I had been going to Trentham since I was a foetus !

I enjoyed today, interesting to see a few all-weather tracks to bet on..USA racing most of morning , Darwin , Glen Inness ,Korea during NZ racing . And Telegraph winner a previous Synthetic winner as was 4th horse ,and Times Ticking used Ricc Syn Trial to fit itself for Trentham stakes .

Reading the other Channel geez they moaning their arse off about Trentham ...racing was good [ Telegraph a little rough] so why worry about the other stuff. They let it rust away before their eyes. Its an all-in moanathon...Misery loves company !

It appears amalgamating Te Rapa , Cambridge and Waipa Clubs has not been a cost saving measure either?  Surely one CEO for the new group instead of retaining the Cambridge JC CEO albeit under a new Job Title. Typical of what is happening within NZ Racing Administration in general.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1