Bit Of A Yarn

Who can beat the trend? I wouldn't back Tom Magnier!

Where are they now? Top lots from previous Magic Millions sales
www.racenet.com.au

Spending a fortune on a yearling doesn't always mean they will be a success on the track.

We take a look back at the top five lots from the past three Magic Millions sales and see where they are now.

2023 MAGIC MILLIONS YEARLING SALE (now two-year-olds)

I Am Invincible – Anaheed colt — $2.7 million

Purchased by Tom Magnier. Hasn't raced yet.

Zoustar – Solar Charged filly — $2.6 million

Purchased by Yu Long Investments. Hasn't raced yet.

I Am Invincible – Booker colt — $2.5 million

Purchased by Ciaron Maher Bloodstock. Hasn't raced yet.

I Am Invincible – Flippant filly — $2 million

Purchased by Tammy Rigney. Hasn't raced yet.

Exceed And Excel – Ichihara colt — $1.8 million

Purchased by Kia Ora Stud/TFI. Hasn't raced yet.

2022 MAGIC MILLIONS YEARLING SALE (now three-year-olds)

I Am Invincible – Suspicieuse colt — $1.9 million

Purchased by Tom Magnier. Suspect had three runs for Chris Waller for one third at Warwick Farm in a maiden. He's now gelded and trained by Mitchell Beer at Kembla Grange. He ran fifth of seven in a trial at Kembla Grange on January 5.

Not A Single Doubt – Miss Admiration colt — $1.7 million

Purchased by Ciaron Maher Bloodstock. Unquestionably had three starts for Ciaron Maher and David Eustace for one win and a third. He ran ninth at Cranbourne in a three-year-old handicap over 2025m in November, beaten 10¼ lengths. He was sold online for $85,000 in December and is now gelded. He's now in the care of Neil Dyer at Kyneton and listed as spelling.

I Am Invincible – Najoom filly — $1.55 million

Purchased by Sheamus Mills Bloodstock. Charm Stone has won three races from six starts, including two Group 3 wins for Mick Price and Michael Kent Jnr. She is currently listed as spelling and last ran fifth in the Group 1 Golden Rose in September.

Pierro – Ravi colt — $1.5 million

Purchased by Ciaron Maher Bloodstock. Pasima has had three starts for a second and two thirds. He ran second to Vanquished in the Magic Millions maiden on January 6.

Snitzel – Sweet Sherry filly — $1.35 million

Purchased by Badgers Bloodstock/Glentree Thoroughbreds. Madeira is yet to race and is trained by Ciaron Maher and David Eustace.

2021 MAGIC MILLIONS YEARLING SALE (now four-year-olds)

Snitzel – Bonny O'Reilly colt — $1.9 million

Purchased by Tom Magnier. Raced as Basquiat in Australia, winning a maiden at Doomben and placed twice in Group races, before being purchased at an online sale in November 2022 for $290,000. He now races as Pacific Warrior in Singapore. He's won one race from 13 starts in Singapore. His overall race record is two wins and seven placings from 23 starts.

Kingman – Florentina colt — $1.8 million

Purchased by Tom Magnier. Spanish Empire ran last in two trials in November and December 2022. He was subsequently gelded and is now listed as retired.

Not A Single Doubt – One More Honey colt — $1.8 million

Purchased by Tony Fung Investments/Phoenix Thoroughbreds. Man In The Mirror has won one race from seven starts and $97,775 in prizemoney. He ran second in the Group 2 VRC Sires' Produce in 2022. He was purchased by Lizzie Jelfs and Annabel Neasham Racing at an online sale in October 2022 for $135,000. He is now a gelding and won a trial at Warwick Farm on January 2.

Not A Single Doubt – Soleil Brulant colt — $1.5 million

Purchased by Tom Magnier. Diaco has had 18 starts for three wins and three placings and $85,525 in prizemoney. He was originally trained by Chris Waller but is now trained by Olivia Cairns at Beaudesert in Queensland. He was purchased at an online sale in March 2023 for $32,500. At his most recent start, he won a BM65 at the Sunshine Coast over 1600m.

I Am Invincible – Maastricht filly — $1.2 million

Purchased by Ciaron Maher Bloodstock/Nxt Level Syndication. Greece has won one race (a maiden at Geelong in September 2022) from seven starts and $80,375 in prizemoney. She is trained by Ciaron Maher and David Eustace and is currently listed as spelling.

• Like 1

As always the main goal is to spend other peoples money , plenty of off the track winners when that can be done.

The part I find so funny about the sales is people in particular TV presenters. sales company execs,fanboys etc congratulating buyers on spending huge sums of $$ to purchase a horse. Whilst ignoring those who do the hard yards to find value.

• Like 2

Fascinating reading. I suppose when most of the high priced youngsters are bought to be 2yos and sprinters there isn't much upside when they fail at those roles.

The original famous "flop" was Paint The Stars in the early 80s. The most expensive yearling to that point from memory.

9 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

But the majority of expensive flops are colts bought with the intention of making a stallion.  It only takes one good one to make up for a lot of duds.

Sure,but that makes spending $2mil plus on a yearling filly look pretty....dumb.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Sure,but that makes spending $2mil plus on a yearling filly look pretty....dumb.

You might not realise this but a filly doesn't have testicles.  On a well bred stallion one testicle is worth a minimum of $500k.  Remove them and you have a gelding with ZERO residual value.

Now what residual value after racing does a well bred filly have?

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You might not realise this but a filly doesn't have testicles.  On a well bred stallion one testicle is worth a minimum of $500k.  Remove them and you have a gelding with ZERO residual value.

Now what residual value after racing does a well bred filly have?

Depends on her race performance and that of any near relatives.

Her price at a sale,probably not the defining factor.

As you say ...you're 'not sure' you would spend that sort of money on a yealing filly.

You and most people with a functioning...brain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Depends on her race performance and that of any near relatives.

But she won't be worth zero will she?  A couple of black type wins and she may well be worth twice what they paid for her.

3 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Her price at a sale,probably not the defining factor

Except that is what the market determined her value was.

4 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

As you say ...you're 'not sure' you would spend that sort of money on a yealing filly

I know this is a difficult concept for you but there are other ways to approach purchasing yearlings.  I prefer the looking for value approach but that's not to say that different approaches are not valid.  

7 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

How many horses have you purchased that have won races, black type or increased their residual value?  Let me guess...🤔😏

5 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Not an enterprise I am involved in,

Obviously as you don't have a clue about what you are talking about.

Yet you have the gall to say some who have millions of dollars invested and 4 decades in the game have "half a brain"!!

48 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Obviously as you don't have a clue about what you are talking about.

Yet you have the gall to say some who have millions of dollars invested and 4 decades in the game have "half a brain"!!

You don't need to make things up.I didn't say any of that.

But go ahead and list your 'value' results.

1 hour ago, holy ravioli said:

As you say ...you're 'not sure' you would spend that sort of money on a yealing filly.

2 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

You don't need to make things up.I didn't say any of that.

My apologies it was worse than "half a brain" - the inference was that the people that did spend that much on a yearling didn't even have a "functioning brain".

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

My apologies it was worse than "half a brain" - the inference was that the people that did spend that much on a yearling didn't even have a "functioning brain".

You do realise you contradict yourself in your own inimitable style....Magnier is hardly a newbie...has decades and millions invested in the game and yet you deride his judgement!

Btw as you wouldn't spend that much on a yearling filly,does it mean your brain is functional...or not?

• Bad Post 1

1 hour ago, holy ravioli said:

You do realise you contradict yourself in your own inimitable style....Magnier is hardly a newbie...has decades and millions invested in the game and yet you deride his judgement!

Btw as you wouldn't spend that much on a yearling filly,does it mean your brain is functional...or not?

I don't actually contradict myself.  Bit I'm not interested in discussing the topic with someone who has no interest, no experience and basically is an anti-fan.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Huey said:

Making what up?

The best 2yr old colt in OZ at the moment and Golden Slipper favourite.  Nice big horse that is doing it easy and with authority.