Bit Of A Yarn

‘Racing. Marketing. CoMmunications’ a la HRNZ. “news”

Friday post was made without any knowledge of todays NZTR declaration of their plan for their future….such a pro-active attitude  is to be commended , of course, but begs the question as to why the other Codes have not participated in something similar…..also, how about other Codes engaging NZTR ‘machine’ to manage other Codes affairs ?

1 hour ago, cyclops said:

Friday post was made without any knowledge of todays NZTR declaration of their plan for their future….such a pro-active attitude  is to be commended , of course, but begs the question as to why the other Codes have not participated in something similar…..also, how about other Codes engaging NZTR ‘machine’ to manage other Codes affairs ?

Seems Entain only talks to the Thoroughbred admin.  Probably a tie up there somewhere with Sharrock.

• Bad Post 1

It is interesting you praise the thoroughbred administration but their recent “new” program, series and renamed carnivals etc were near a copy of HRNZ , CEO and dates taskforce group-

A) Slot race

B) South circuit

C) Summer Racing grouped

D) Grand-prix day 

E) Central feature day(s)

This is what HRNZ put in place and got abused for as the existing clubs hated  change - we now have a Country Cup with great $ stake , southland Cup with $ stake plus supporting races, big age group day with $ Stake better than the old Jewels and Auckland big days etc.

But the harness racing supports/dinosaurs can only complain and never give anything a chance.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Seems Entain only talks to the Thoroughbred admin.  Probably a tie up there somewhere with Sharrock.

Who is driving the 2 year old racing?

Entain is a breath of fresh air for harness racing - they are proactive. Surely you are not suggesting Dean Mckenzie rein was a great period and lead  the sport to be better !

6 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

Entain is a breath of fresh air for harness racing - they are proactive. Surely you are not suggesting Dean Mckenzie rein was a great period and lead  the sport to be better !

Don't you think that Thoroughbred racing is getting disproportionately more funding than the other codes?  I'm not knocking Entain although I can't see where the money is coming from for them to make anywhere near a profit.  You can't keep buying revenue.

My opinions of Mckenzie have been posted many times and none of them were favourable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongOwner said:

big age group day with $ Stake better than the old Jewels and Auckland big days etc.

But the harness racing supports/dinosaurs can only complain and never give anything a chance.

I'm not complaining

I'm not not giving anything a chance, but since you have your finger on the pulse could you tell me what Profit Harness Racing made on the Grand Prix day versus the stakes paid out?

Thanks

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'm not complaining

I'm not not giving anything a chance, but since you have your finger on the pulse could you tell me what Profit Harness Racing made on the Grand Prix day versus the stakes paid out?

Thanks

Isn't that mainly Entains problem?  

7 hours ago, LongOwner said:

personally i think the level of the subsidies is so high that it makes it the most hair brained/discriminatory scheme to ever come out of HRNZ.

Have you ever asked yourself why the owner/breeders of a 2 year old are prioritised with $12,000 bonuses  at the expense of owners of 3 year olds and above.

Have you ever asked,who are the people who came up with this scheme and do they have self interest. i.e. will the decision makers fall into the cateory of owners/breeders who will benefit from the bonuses.

I thought they are supposed to have a handicapping system designed to race like against like to generate  turnover.

Given 5 horse races will  generate next to no turnover,why have they guaranteed the running of these programmed races with only 5 acceptors? 

If Entain came up with the idea,what type of idiots are running that place,if they think 5 horse 2 year old races will generate turnover and are good for the industry.

All those races at places like auckland and cambridge and manawatu and southland. They will not get big numbers.

There is only so much of the pie stakes wise to go around. Give a bigger slice to one group and whats left of the rest of the pie is smaller.

Even some of the conditions in the scheme are a bit odd.

for example.. if a breeder/breeding entity ceases to exist ,only the owner portion of the bonus will be paid.... breeder/breeding entity ceases to exist if they have not bred in the previous 5 years. I mean why do they need that 2nd part of the conditions. After all,2 year old s will not have been bred over 5 years ago.

Also,what happens to people who have say a 2 year old trotter up and running early. Given they can't race anything but 2 year olds,do they just run around at the trials for months on end. Thats going to happen in the areas where there are small numbers like southland and auckland.

And who do these winners of 2 year olds race. Are they going to run more small fields for 2 year old race winners?

I think its a poorly thought out scheme which will just accelerate resentment and disillusionsment amongst many who think their degree of participation is not valued simply because they have a horse older than 2. 

59 minutes ago, the galah said:

personally i think the level of the subsidies is so high that it makes it the most hair brained/discriminatory scheme to ever come out of HRNZ.

Have you ever asked yourself why the owner/breeders of a 2 year old are prioritised with $12,000 bonuses  at the expense of owners of 3 year olds and above.

Have you ever asked,who are the people who came up with this scheme and do they have self interest. i.e. will the decision makers fall into the cateory of owners/breeders who will benefit from the bonuses.

I thought they are supposed to have a handicapping system designed to race like against like to generate  turnover.

Given 5 horse races will  generate next to no turnover,why have they guaranteed the running of these programmed races with only 5 acceptors? 

If Entain came up with the idea,what type of idiots are running that place,if they think 5 horse 2 year old races will generate turnover and are good for the industry.

All those races at places like auckland and cambridge and manawatu and southland. They will not get big numbers.

There is only so much of the pie stakes wise to go around. Give a bigger slice to one group and whats left of the rest of the pie is smaller.

Even some of the conditions in the scheme are a bit odd.

for example.. if a breeder/breeding entity ceases to exist ,only the owner portion of the bonus will be paid.... breeder/breeding entity ceases to exist if they have not bred in the previous 5 years. I mean why do they need that 2nd part of the conditions. After all,2 year old s will not have been bred over 5 years ago.

Also,what happens to people who have say a 2 year old trotter up and running early. Given they can't race anything but 2 year olds,do they just run around at the trials for months on end. Thats going to happen in the areas where there are small numbers like southland and auckland.

And who do these winners of 2 year olds race. Are they going to run more small fields for 2 year old race winners?

I think its a poorly thought out scheme which will just accelerate resentment and disillusionsment amongst many who think their degree of participation is not valued simply because they have a horse older than 2. 

You have confirmed my view of the dinosaur harness supporter.

Go and bred some horses and stop crying about not owning a 2 year old .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LongOwner said:

You have confirmed my view of the dinosaur harness supporter.

Go and bred some horses and stop crying about not owning a 2 year old .

Do you think people are going to breed more horses because of an initiative that in 3 years may pay dividends for them.

An initiative that i would confidently predict will not exist in such generous terms in 3 years time.You do realise there is no guarantee the bonus will be around in the same form next year,let alone 3 years time.There may be no bonus whatsoever in 3 years.

That would be like a car importer buying up  electric cars in japan just before the last election,due for delivery next month,thinking at the time he bought them he can get a top price onselling them because of the clean car rebate.

There may be people who breed horses who think the same as the car dealer,but no i would not be one of them. I'm not that stupid.

Edited by the galah

Personally liked the 2 year old racing decades ago when there were good numbers around!

Would be good to have them again,  but as it has been stated, having 5 horse fields is not going  to do anything  for attracting punting!

We know that these fields are going to be dominated by Allstar, Stonewood and Diamond racing stables!

The big problem is the fact that many meetings are now running at a loss and we know why this is!

Personally think that without the punters there will be no bonuses needed!!!!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Michael said:

No, it's not Entain's problem at all

I am bewlidered as to how you think it is

HRNZ fund stakes from their payout don't they?

Entain have guaranteed a set amount of funding to the codes for the next 5 years.  Entain earns their revenue off wagering.

Therefore the profitability of an event that Entain offer wagering on is Entains problem. 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 8:52 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Entain have guaranteed a set amount of funding to the codes for the next 5 years.  Entain earns their revenue off wagering.

Therefore the profitability of an event that Entain offer wagering on is Entains problem. 

That's utter stupidity

You're saying that HRNZ  shouldn't be fiscally responsible nor worry about throwing money around because their payout is gauranteed for 5 years

I'm an Entain supporter but even calling it a payout is stretching it a bit isn't it (although that's the terminology everyone is using)

In 5 years if GBR isn't covering stakes what do you think will happen?

Or is your attitude "oh, it's 5 years away, nothing to worry about?"

As preparation for the future (after 5 years)  there should be more alignment between funded stakes and return to the industry. If things are flying at that time there will be nbo problem. If they aren't flying will you remain such a fan of regional subsidation?

If it pleases you I can amend my query to "Could you please enlighten me as to how the GBR from Grand Prix Day compares to the HRNZ funded stakes, bearing in mind that the deal with Entain only has a gauranteed code funding component for 5 years"

Happy now Noodlum?

Edited by Michael

20 minutes ago, Michael said:

In 5 years if GBR isn't covering stakes what do you think will happen?

That's a question I've been asking repeatedly.  What do you propose they do with money instead of Stakes?  Very few races run a profit as more revenue that stakes paid.  Been like that for a very long time and you more than anyone know that.  You're also assuming that HRNZ are privy to ALL the data that they require to make an assessment.  I don't think Entain will be a forthcoming as before.

As preparation for the future (after 5 years)  there should be more alignment between funded stakes and return to the industry. If things are flying at that time there will be nbo problem. If they aren't flying will you remain such a fan of regional subsidation?

Hell even in your day they were subsidising the clubs with pokie money.  Where did I ever say I was a "fan of regional subsidisation"?  Whatever that means.  Does it matter where Entain gets the revenue from?  Some argue that the codes own the TAB therefore they are entitled to receive funds from outside of wagering on racing.  Hell you'd know that better than anyone!!

If it pleases you I can amend my query to "Could you please enlighten me as to how the GBR from Grand Prix Day compares to the HRNZ funded stakes, bearing in mind that the deal with Entain only has a gauranteed code funding component for 5 years"

You keep repeating the same question many of us having been asking for quite some time.

Happy now Noodlum?

I'm not Noodlum.