Bit Of A Yarn

Ellerslie StrathAyr - are they stuffing up the irrigation already?

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Correct.20240206_103632.jpg

Speaking of that they haven't fixed it.  Well not for horses.

Still up hill and tight.  The Derby field will fight for position.

It also looks like it has a crest in the centre falling away to the outside rail, not that horses are likely to be racing that far out there

7 minutes ago, curious said:

It also looks like it has a crest in the centre falling away to the outside rail, not that horses are likely to be racing that far out there

I saw that too.  The problem with it is that it is hard to irrigate evenly.

I've got another picture of the whole straight and it still has the same hump and undulation in it.

7 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I've walked it several times.

Good on ya......you can't have walked over the hill....LOL.....if you had it looks right down on the reservoir !  Near the 600m hark!

ps..for those who missed my last joke re Newmarket , the hill is no longer ! Hold the phone !

25 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Good on ya......you can't have walked over the hill....LOL.....if you had it looks right down on the reservoir !  Near the 600m hark!

ps..for those who missed my last joke re Newmarket , the hill is no longer ! Hold the phone !

Right and you rang someone to find out apparently.

• Like 1

I can't work out why there was so much sand in the top 5cms as evident in the cores I picked up.  That may explain why the roots matted in the top layer and why there may have been water tension of the next layer down was significantly different in soil structure.  I would have thought that soil would have been consistent through all layers except the very lower layers which would of a type to facilitate rapid excess water removal.

If they are coring already then it may need to continue on a regular basis.  Next they'll be poring more sand onto it to fill the cores!!!  Te Rapa springs to mind.

2 hours ago, curious said:

I thought the whole growing medium below the turf was supposed to be sand and mesh elements?

BELOW THE TURF maybe.  But solely sand in the top layer is a recipe for disaster.

I note Imperatriz ran around on the Moonee Valley StrathAyr today and love it.

58 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

BELOW THE TURF maybe.  But solely sand in the top layer is a recipe for disaster.

I note Imperatriz ran around on the Moonee Valley StrathAyr today and love it.

Do you think we are overdue to start another Imperatriz thread?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yep.  But here's an interesting fact.  The best performed horses in NZ and OZ over the last 20 years have been mares who had big 2 yr old years.

Define "big"

Black Caviar 2 starts as a 2yo

Winx 2 starts as a 2yo

Makybe Diva Unraced

6 minutes ago, Jim Green said:

Define "big"

Black Caviar 2 starts as a 2yo

Winx 2 starts as a 2yo

Makybe Diva Unraced

I was referring to NZ trained horses.  However Makybe Diva would be on the cusp of 15 years.

However Makybe Diva did trial at 2 and won 17 days later as a 3yr old.

Winx had two starts as a 2 yr old and won both.  2 trials before that that starting in May.

That's bigger than most 2yr olds.

yes she sure did

Just wanted a definition of "big" as avoiding the Big 2yo races in Aus seemed to help those 3. Weren't gutted by tough runs

Agree with the Nz trained assesment. Te Akau have had great success with mares Karaka Millioning then training on. Perhaps Nz 2yo races aren't as taxing as the golden slipper/blue diamond etc because they certainly seems to grow another leg as they train on. OR Maybe Australian 2yos are bred for pure speed,get black type as a 2yo and don't worry about 3,4,5yo racing.

Legarto was also 1 for 1 as a 2yo.

Credit to the NZ industry seeing them training on. I see YONCE was backing winning on saturday after disappearing for a long while. Believe she started off in Cambridge before going to Aus

13 hours ago, Jim Green said:

Just wanted a definition of "big" as avoiding the Big 2yo races in Aus seemed to help those 3. Weren't gutted by tough runs

The point I was making is that it is somewhat a myth to "give horses time" and avoid a 2yr old season altogether.  

13 hours ago, Jim Green said:

OR Maybe Australian 2yos are bred for pure speed,get black type as a 2yo and don't worry about 3,4,5yo racing.

The 2yr and 3yr old races are the focus of the colts for stallion making.  The fillies can take a slightly lower path however in my opininon you still need to be up and running as a 2yr old.

some horses need more time than others and I guess the good ones are naturals from the start

How often do we hear that. A good horse and the breakers and trainers say they were natural and easy to deal with from the start,ahead of the others at the gates etc

Or breeders say the good one was the fastest to stand up etc

In Europe where they breed stayers I'd be guessing time is more of a factor.

would be interesting to see data on classic winners at 3 vs starts as 2yo.

Surely working,trialling and racing at 2yo must have benefits to bone structure as long as it not over done.

I do remember another good one Silent achiever. Roger James always said she was "fragile" and needed time.She trialled at 2 but never raced. The best trainers can obviously see how far they can/should push the young stock.

Another great topic. The more the look the more you learn Racing is alot more complex than horses running around a track. There are so many variables. I have great respect for all in the industry .Maybe trackside should do a show on a Monday night showing us different aspects of the industry. Stories from behind the scenes with the stablehands,trackwork riders,trainers,jockeys,breeders,vets,farriers etc

would be a fanatastic learning experience for all punters and maybe we would throw the remote at the TV alot less when we realise how hard everyone is working and how hard they are all trying to win.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Are they irrigating enough?

Withdrawal Morning

Weather: Fine

Track: Good 4

Moisture Meter: 20.9%

Rail: Out 6m

Rainfall: N/A

Irrigation: 

Weather and Track updated at 8.28am Wednesday 14 February

Nomination Morning