Bit Of A Yarn

Ellerslie StrathAyr - are they stuffing up the irrigation already?

From the Race 4 Stipe Stewards Report:

Following this race comment was made by some riders that their mounts were shifting in the ground. Films from 
Race 3 were also further reviewed where it was apparent that TEVERE had lost its footing rounding the final turn. 
Stewards convened a meeting with all riders and after viewing available film footage it was agreed that the meeting 
should continue.

From Race 5:

Following further comment from riders regarding the footing including W Kennedy who reported that his mount lost 
its footing passing the 600 metres, a further meeting was convened with all riders. After reviewing film footage and 
considering submissions from all riders present the decision was made to run the last race as scheduled.

Race 6:

PENDRAGON (M Zahra) – Lost its footing entering the final straight.
LUPO SOLITARIO (R Elliot) – Rider reported that the gelding had failed to handle today’s shifty track conditions.

LUPO SOLITARIO (R Elliot) – Rider reported that the gelding had failed to handle today’s shifty track conditions.

MOLLY BLOOM (B Shinn) - When questioned regarding the performance the rider advised that it had appeared

difficult to make ground from the back today adding that the filly had then peaked on its run over the concluding stages.

There were two issues - shifty top and slipping.

So what caused those conditions?  We can eliminate the soil factor in this case (the primary cause of other track abandonments) because it is a new soil with a layered system and the soil structure is artificially maintained.

So that comes back to the grass and irrigation.

Hopefully they chose the right species of grass mix for the local conditions.  The grass probably hasn't had time to fully put down roots and form a thatch hence the shiftiness.

The grass could also have been too long and the showers during the day wouldn't have helped.

The second factor is the irrigation.  I imagine they haven't been irrigating enough at times or even inconsistently across the track.  Cost is a factor - unless you have good bores that you own water isn't cheap in Auckland.

Does anyone know if they upgraded the irrigation system?  What type it is?

I saw in one of the zillion promo videos water spraying from a section of the inside running rail.  It caught my eye because it was a fine spray not going very far out onto the turf.

One would hopefully assume that the track maintenance team have been well schooled on maintaining the StrathAyr and have abandoned their old practices completely.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Huey said:

So it's racing like The Valley i.e hard to come from the back.

That's not true.  My observation is they win from all positions but you need to get moving to be handy before turning for home.  The straight is the shortest in Australasia.  But the shape and camber plus surface allows you to improve.

As for yesterday let's look at the sectionals first.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Hopefully they'll have a review after the meeting rather than wait until an actual abandonment.

Do you think they will do that Chief ?

You a genius ...they need your ideas , ring em up !

3 of the winners came from the trail ...they were among the best horses in race so no trouble getting there.

Belclare went fast from wide gate for 400m to sit outside the leader then kicked clear....very dominant !

The other two were basically four places back and into clear air at top of straight and won well ,the last winner very strong last 100....both favourites.

It was always going to be a 'good horses day' and so it turned out.....and the jockeys obviously have read LanceO'Sullivans book and his view that if you are in the first four you only have to pass a maximum of 3 x horses to win !

1 minute ago, TAB For Ever said:

Do you think they will do that Chief ?

You a genius ...they need your ideas , ring em up !

3 of the winners came from the trail ...they were among the best horses in race so no trouble getting there.

Belclare went fast from wide gate for 400m to sit outside the leader then kicked clear....very dominant !

The other two were basically four places back and into clear air at top of straight and won well ,the last winner very strong last 100....both favourites.

It was always going to be a 'good horses day' and so it turned out.....and the jockeys obviously have read LanceO'Sullivans book and his view that if you are in the first four you only have to pass a maximum of 3 x horses to win !

The issue was the slipping and shifty track.  Did you read the extracts from the Stipes report?  They were close to abandoning the meeting.  Isn't that concerning?  They abandoned Trentham for arguably less on the same day.

As for any bias I have an open mind on it.  I think the "nothing finished on from midfield" or "you need to be handy on the pace" is not because of the track.

If you are slow away and the best horses in the field are half the field in front of you then you are not going win.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The issue was the slipping and shifty track.  Did you read the extracts from the Stipes report?  They were close to abandoning the meeting.  Isn't that concerning?  They abandoned Trentham for arguably less on the same day.

As for any bias I have an open mind on it.  I think the "nothing finished on from midfield" or "you need to be handy on the pace" is not because of the track.

If you are slow away and the best horses in the field are half the field in front of you then you are not going win.

One of the runs of day came from Rogerson horse in last race who came from last on turn to run 3rd ! 4th horse in 2yr old came from close to back.

The sectionals will prove that horses arent machines .

Its early days....too early to make assumptions ...only a handful of races been run and a few trials !

Let them find their way...its all new !

Change is difficult ,new ideas and changes in technique and attitude come hard.......Anything worth doing ,is worth doing poorly at first !

Thats how you learn !

From chatting to Club officials casually these last few years it was apparent they were very nervous/anxious as how the new track would come back and when etc.

I'd say more recently they were terrified....some trial and error with irrigation ,until a few weeks ago there been a lot of rain around.Some officials thought the restart too soon...how would the grass react , would it be bedded in enough to provide good safe footing after such a short period ,and some shocking rain and delays etc.

Would it be too hard ...another major worry  !

Maybe not as easy /straight forward as it appeared.

Overall the Officials were optimistic but cautious. The drizzle on day heightened any worries.

The day went off  well IMO, no postponement.

A great days racing ...much will be learned and much to look forward too !

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Didn't Orchestral come from off the pace?

Indeed , 8th early then 7th in a field with gaps until just before the turn.Off and out in clesr soon after.....a very impressive last 100 m

Velocious  was 3 rd early then eased to 5th travelling sweetly in clear. Always looked the winner from 600m .

I was working as Race Analyst so pleased to assist 😊

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Indeed , 8th early then 7th in a field with gaps until just before the turn.Off and out in clesr soon after.....a very impressive last 100 m

Velocious  was 3 rd early then eased to 5th travelling sweetly in clear. Always looked the winner from 600m .

I was working as Race Analyst so pleased to assist 😊

Sounds to me like your just repeating what they said on TS.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well the BGP has never won much on the punt so you know what they say about doing the same thing again and expecting to get a different result!

Look a bit closer and you will see BGP much more than a big punting pool......don't 95% of people lose on the punt anyway so what chance when a small group of guys get together to try and find some success with other peoples money. A huge ask!

I believe Ted was a regular contributor to sites such as this with opinion ,form and trial updates. His passion also spread to Club administration and also as an owner and jockey manager too ! And of course he represents the older generation.

BGP is not solely about the betting wins and losses , and I know for a fact that people who put money into the pool aren't necessarily expecting to win....The average investment is $60 I read. Personally I used to invest $100 and was never disappointed. Some wins and the odd free bet from TAB.

Look at the positives Chief...IMO certainly making a useful contribution to NZ Racing. They even invested in the odd horse , I doubt this is something that an online site of grumpy old stale male cynics could organise .

I doubt folk would cross the road to attend a function organised by online site....so to close the doors at 850 people , with visitors from all over NZ is very impressive.

Get amongst  it Chief , you'd love it....I'll send you my red sox too ! Get out of the quicksand !

Numbers and facts don't lie...BGP is an impressive group !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

.don't 95% of people lose on the punt anyway so what chance when a small group of guys get together to try and find some success with other peoples money. A huge ask!

$1.2m to punt with.  A downside of the huge publicity is it also shows the losing aspect of gambling.

But good luck to them.  

But is handing over money to an intermediary to bet on your behalf going to provide a sustainable long term increase in revenue?  Hopefully a few of the 850 who have got the stitch have learnt enough about racing to continue to bet and get to understand what racing is about.

Legarto still Flemington-bound | RACING.COM

www.racing.com

Super Kiwi mare Legarto remains on track for the $3 million Australian Cup at Flemington this autumn despite her defeat as hot favourite at Ellerslie over the weekend.

Legarto ran second in the NZ$1m Aotearoa Classic (1600m) as the $1.30 favourite but co-trainer Ken Kelso said the conditions on the day had more to do with her defeat than a possible underwhelming performance.

"The track was very shifty and they (stewards) had discussions through the day as to whether they should keep racing," Kelso said.

"It was a biased track there on Saturday. She really had no hope from where she was and the way the track was racing. The track was a bit of a disappointment."

4YO

Sex

Mare

Colour

Bay

Prize Money

$1,234,403

Last 5

-3110-

Career

11-8-0-1

POS Jockey Track Date DIST Race WGT MRG Odds  

10 – 17 M.J.Dee RHIL 4 NOV 2023 1500m GOLDEN EAGLE 55.5kg 3.3L $5.50 

1 – 12 R.Elliot MATA 7 OCT 2023 1600m MATAMATA CUP 58.5kg 0.8L $1.60 

3 – 16 R.Elliot HAST 9 SEP 2023 1400m TARZINO TRPY 56.5kg 0.4L $3 

1 – 15 M.J.Dee FLEM 4 MAR 2023 1600m AUST GNS 55kg 0.2L $6.50 

4 – 12 R.Elliot PUKE 21 JAN 2023 1600m KRKA 3Y CLSSC 55kg 2.1L $2.30 

The Auckland Thoroughbred Racing stewards twice met with jockeys during the six-race Karaka Millions card on Saturday after two horses slipped on the surface during their races.

An extract from the stewards' report read: "Following this race, comment was made by some riders that their mounts were shifting in the ground.

"Films from Race 3 were also further reviewed where it was apparent that TEVERE had lost its footing rounding the final turn. Stewards convened a meeting with all riders and after viewing available film footage it was agreed that the meeting should continue."

After Race 5, stewards reported: "Following further comment from riders regarding the footing, including W Kennedy, who reported that his mount lost its footing passing the 600 metres, a further meeting was convened with all riders.

"After reviewing film footage and considering submissions from all riders present, the decision was made to run the last race as scheduled."

During the final race, it was reported that Mark Zahra's mount Pendragon also slipped on the surface.

Kelso said that despite the racing surface, Legarto emerged from the race unscathed.

"She's come through it very good," he said. "She ate up that night so all good.

"She'll go to 2000 metres next in the Herbie Dyke (February 9) then hopefully, all going well, she'll go to the Australian Cup."

11 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Bit of a joke really…. After all the time & money spent, we still have huge issues after a few showers. 

If it wasn’t a big meeting and the money was up…. I doubt the meeting would have gone ahead 

That last sentence is of much concern to me.

Modern H&S rules now [ supposedly ] preclude riders and horses being put at risk in unsafe conditions.  Yet time and time again we see races being run, horses slipping - or worse - and then the inevitable abandonment .

At which point does Workplace Safety become involved?  or does racing get a free pass somehow?    

We have Reefton abandoned without a slip, just a parcel of lies and stakeholders put to great inconvenience and cost.    More recently, Trentham and Hastings abandoned. Does nobody actually LOOK and see how things are?

Then Ellerslie, with all the hooplah, and slipping reported during the day.  Money up of course, visiting jockeys, all that.  So does that make the conditions somehow safer?

No horses or people injured, I saw in a comment.  The picture I saw of Pendragon on the turn clearly slipping badly - lucky to stay on his feet, I should think - begs the question, how could he not be hurt?  maybe  not seriously, but he had to have pulled muscles at least.  And that's acceptable because 'the money is up ' ?

That's just bollocks for mine.

My understanding of Strathayr, is that it is supposed to provide  'cushion' and never become compacted and very firm, like conventional turf tracks.   Also, the superior drainage in the construction makes it able to cope with flooding or heavy rain very effectively.

I've never seen Mooney Valley have horses slip...or Shatin.     So how did a shower of rain get the blame for all this?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Freda said:

I've never seen Mooney Valley have horses slip...or Shatin.     So how did a shower of rain get the blame for all this?

The report is saying that an incorrect pattern of mowing and irrigation cause increased surface tension (which reduces the ability of the surface to uptake water), so when the rain came, it wasn't absorbed as it should have been making the surface slippery. Common problem on turf surfaces which is why golf courses etc. apply wetting agents to counteract it.

• Like 2