Bit Of A Yarn

Ellerslie StrathAyr - are they stuffing up the irrigation already?

10 hours ago, Special Agent said:

To see that even farmers are abreast of modern techniques and skill sets.

Yes but the farmers referred to here on BOAY are invariably old timers from 30+ years ago.  I'm tired of hearing how "great it was 30 to 40 years ago and we never had this problems blah blah".  

The fact is the industry and its administrators at many levels never invested in maintaining and renovating tracks and now for many their backs are against the wall with a rock in front of them.

I've said it time and time again and I've posted official documents about what Flemington does every year to maintain their track surface.  They are the exemplar.

I disagree. I think there are a large number of modern day farmers who would have the capability of managing tracks way better than most seem to be managed at the moment and they would do so in a way similar to the Flemington programme that you cite. That's given they have the resources of appropriate equipment, irrigation systems etc.

• Champ Post 1

46 minutes ago, curious said:

I disagree. I think there are a large number of modern day farmers

If you read again I wasn't referring to modern day farmers. 

47 minutes ago, curious said:

That's given they have the resources of appropriate equipment, irrigation systems etc.

That's been a major problem and it would appear that even the new tracks don't have proper irrigation systems.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes but the farmers referred to here on BOAY are invariably old timers from 30+ years ago.  I'm tired of hearing how "great it was 30 to 40 years ago and we never had this problems blah blah".  

Why would any of us refer to old timers from 40 years ago, or want outdated ideas and techniques?   Quality modern farming is science based and innovative.

The fact is the industry and its administrators at many levels never invested in maintaining and renovating tracks and now for many their backs are against the wall with a rock in front of them.

That's very true.

I've said it time and time again and I've posted official documents about what Flemington does every year to maintain their track surface.  They are the exemplar.

27 minutes ago, Freda said:

Why would any of us refer to old timers from 40 years ago, or want outdated ideas and techniques?   Quality modern farming is science based and innovative.

Yes and the farmers of 30 and 40 years ago that had a part in managing racecourses were equally science based and innovative for their time but things have moved on and I don't think anyone is suggesting that 40 year old science should be applied to today's racecourses.

Edited by curious
  • Champ Post 2

The big thing is that 40 years ago in the CD, just as an example, they had tracks at Opaki, Levin, Fielding, Waipuk, Foxton, even Bulls, Marton, Ashhurst etc a few years before that, Now most of that racing has been concentrated on Awapuni and Trentham, and those two tracks just aren't up to it. Even Hastings has inherited meetings from all over. I see it is intended to use Awapuni only sparingly next summer, so god knows what will happen then. And bizarrely those smaller tracks have been partially replaced with a tight little AWT. A similar thing has happened in Canty.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

The glaring example of administrative folly is Foxton. That track is the perfect backstop when major tracks in CD need respite. But no...NZTR knows best and continues to thrash what are now shadows of their former glory e.g. Trentham and continues to put out endless memos regarding what they are doing to improve, and they are certainly not improving. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

We seem to be part of an industry that is not about "the industry" but, more focussed on a few venues and a select group of licence holders.  Unless NZTR and it's head honchos take a wider vision "the industry" will narrow into oblivion.

Also an industry that doesn't work together and quick to slay the tall poppies for any reason that can be found.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I was really surprised how much sand was in the top layer.  Seemed to be all sans.

20240206_103107.jpg20240206_103116.jpg

Looks like a lot of peat , moss and plastic squares ! Was this off the extreme outside or closer to inside rail !

There is a lot of sand in the make up......a matter of a few weeks ago it looked all sand.The grass seemed to take off very quick once sun came out. But still many thought that it was being rushed into use prematurely. Many were somewhat nervous !

4 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Looks like a lot of peat , moss and plastic squares ! Was this off the extreme outside or closer to inside rail !

There is a lot of sand in the make up......a matter of a few weeks ago it looked all sand.The grass seemed to take off very quick once sun came out. But still many thought that it was being rushed into use prematurely. Many were somewhat nervous !

And rightly so it proved.

Any sign of the root layer chief?