Bit Of A Yarn

Karaka Millions Turnover and an Extra Day!

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Entain turned over $9.5m yesterday which pays the stake for one race.

Good news for all the enthusiasts is it will be a 2 day carnival next year.

Entain may even have a horse running as they intend to spend $1.5m at the Karaka sales.

Oh cheer up Chief .....your bitterness will turn into envy soon !

Get back to the tele and spend big on a horse , the losses there will hury you more cos it will be your money not the TAB's !

And aren't the Karaka races partly sweepstakes ,from money collected  at the time ,or soon after a horse has been purchased at sale.

Plus some Industry monies ........and didn't they get great value from that.

Several mentions /video on mainstream TV ,even the main news ,plenty coverage in Australia and around the world as punters bet into NZ races via the World fund.

The Entain boss at trots on Friday night couldn't celebrate his 3 x wins as owner at Trots in Auckland cos he was busy on overseas links spreading the NZ Racing 'word' around the punting globe. He has skin in the game here !

Fantastic !

8 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

And aren't the Karaka races partly sweepstakes ,from money collected  at the time ,or soon after a horse has been purchased at sale.

Partly.  The majority of Stakes for the day comes from TAB revenue.  You have a lot to say so I mistaknlenly thought you'd be across that.  But please don't divert to negative issues.

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Partly.  The majority of Stakes for the day comes from TAB revenue.  You have a lot to say so I mistaknlenly thought you'd be across that.  But please don't divert to negative issues.

Go and buy a horse ...or go to the beach ! Please .....your state of mind worries me !

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Where the hell is the bitterness in my post?  I just posted facts.

You first sentence you sarcastically ,cynically and many other traits compare turnover with stakes of one race .

The first race was sponsored by Cambridge Stud Almanzor and total stake was $225,000 of which ATR contributed $105,000.

So relating this to $9.5 miilion TO.

You are a worry !

1 minute ago, TAB For Ever said:

You first sentence you sarcastically ,cynically and many other traits compare turnover with stakes of one race .

No it's a fact.  On turnover of $9.5 you'd clear about $1.2m to $1.4m on an average yield.  I doubt the yield would be higher although they BGP certainly help.

The revenue generated for the day is unlikely to have covered Stakes let alone cost of sales.

So it has to be subsidised from somewhere else.  That's fine I guess but is it sustainable?  Do we keep selling silver to pay the way?

$9.5m is pretty impressive, but given Entain made the KM the only show in town PR wise for the last 3 months you'd want to be doing pretty well. 

Some nice horses seen there last night , I think the Champions Day concept may be a better watch for real racing enthusiasts though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huey said:

$9.5m is pretty impressive, but given Entain made the KM the only show in town PR wise for the last 3 months you'd want to be doing pretty well. 

Some nice horses seen there last night , I think the Champions Day concept may be a better watch for real racing enthusiasts though.

Yep some top liners there last night who would be competitive in OZ Group racing.  

I thought Legarto wasn't well ridden again.

Shame Master Fay was lame after the race.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yep some top liners there last night who would be competitive in OZ Group racing.  

I thought Legarto wasn't well ridden again.

Shame Master Fay was lame after the race.  

Yes, great pity about Master Fay, looked quite impressive.

When they do the two racedays next year will it be two six race cards? Be interesting to compare the costs and returns of two days with Cup Day at Riccarton when they hold 12 races on the one day.

29 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Yes, great pity about Master Fay, looked quite impressive.

When they do the two racedays next year will it be two six race cards? Be interesting to compare the costs and returns of two days with Cup Day at Riccarton when they hold 12 races on the one day.

That's where the focus is too much oncourse at the Karaka Millions.  Even @TAB For Ever would agree with this - why not have a couple or three lead up races for offcourse punters?  That way they are spending their hard earned locally rather than on the quality OZ racing that starts earlier than Karaka.  Although they'll argue you have Riccarton and Trentham on the UNDER card.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's where the focus is too much oncourse at the Karaka Millions.  Even @TAB For Ever would agree with this - why not have a couple or three lead up races for offcourse punters?  That way they are spending their hard earned locally rather than on the quality OZ racing that starts earlier than Karaka.  Although they'll argue you have Riccarton and Trentham on the UNDER card.

I think its a mistake making in 2 days, I don't think you should messing with the current setup , they dilute the occasion. Whose left at the end of the sales only us local peasants, end up like the in between day they used to have years ago at Ellerslie.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Huey said:

I think its a mistake making in 2 days, I don't think you should messing with the current setup , they dilute the occasion. Whose left at the end of the sales only us local peasants, end up like the in between day they used to have years ago at Ellerslie.

Yep and they cut out the peasants with privileged entry.

• Like 1