Bit Of A Yarn

Tauranga

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You are contradicting yourself!  If they are not to blame for the allocation of stakes you can't give them credit either.

How? I haven't seen any evidence of a change in programming.  They are still doing the same old same old.  @curious mentioned Einstein's definition of insanity.

Bollocks.  The programmers did whoever the nameless creatures are.  Equally you could say Ellerslie "let Jumps racing go".  Supposedly to build a hidden 2m litre water tank.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Entain have NOTHING to do with programming races.

Obviously you haven't listened to the trainers that are complaining on both islands.  Both elite and battlers.

Don't the trainers mainly complain about the lack of grass-track trials so they can secure a good trials win and secure a juicy sale  ?

Entain are trying to change attitudes  . IMO doing well too !

Attitudes are Contagious.....is yours worth catching ?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Doomed said:

I will be interested to hear from Pam what the trainers attitude is towards 2yos in the south. My own totally removed feeling is that it is a chicken and egg situation. Because there aren't many races the trainers don't bother, and because the trainers don't bother races have small fields or have to be scrapped.

Most S.I. trainers don't have nice yearlings to point towards next year's 2 yr old racing in the south.  And without significant numbers of youngsters, the inevitable fallout when horses develop the usual issues that can hold up a preparation, leads to insufficient competitors.

I do feel that the pattern whereby virtually the only 2yo races are $40,000 races at Riccarton scares many trainers off. They can't see the point of taking on a couple of Te Akau horses down the big Riccarton straight with a horse that they don't think would be competitive. I do wonder whether some $18,500 maiden 2yo races away from Riccarton might help.

Possibly could do.   Certainly, giving a horse a 'run' for experience

would be a daunting occasion in a stakes race against N.I horses.

Interestingly, many years ago Wingatui used to have a Sept 2yo race, variously called the McLean Stakes or Kindergarten Stakes, and then the Champagne Stakes on Boxing day. And they used to get decent fields. These days, from memory, I think there is one 2yo race all season in Otago and just the one Southland 2yo race at Riverton. And of course Riccarton has long since scrapped their only race for 2yo fillies. And the Welcome Stakes has now moved from Nov, probably rightly so. I imagine that will gradually kill off spring 2yo racing in the South.

We had the Mclean and Champagne in Otago, and the Welcome [ Nov ] Challenge [  end Jan ] and Champagne [ Easter ] in Canterbury.  Along with ordinary 2 yr old handicap races on many if not most racedays.

With the move towards breeding more precious youngsters, the popularity of big syndicates who want early goers, and liberal watering of tracks so they don't have to race on rock hard surfaces I would have thought this would be the ideal time to encourage 2yo racing. Afterall, trainers no longer have to give a horse lots of time with the aim to have a jumper in 6 years.

I wonder if there is a plan? I wonder if the CJC is taking a leadership role, or will they leave it all to Entain for now?

• Like 1