Bit Of A Yarn

Southland Guineas as a G3?

Doesn't make any sense at all and it's no good talking to Sharrock about it. He needs to talk to the Pattern committee if he has an issue. It's nothing to do with NZTR otherwise. The Southland Guineas was under alert for its listed status because of weak fields, but that was lifted in 2023 because its rating was well above listed status for that renewal - 99.75 (cf. benchmark 98). The benchmark rating for a G3 is 103. It would need to achieve that for a few renewals to be upgraded. I doubt it will reach that level  let alone listed status from this year's running.

He's either ignorant or dreaming and a journalist of Searle's standing and longevity should have pointed that out to him and in the article imo.

Edited by curious
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, curious said:

Doesn't make any sense at all and it's no good talking to Sharrock about it. He needs to talk to the Pattern committee if he has an issue. It's nothing to do with NZTR otherwise. The Southland Guineas was under alert for its listed status because of weak fields, but that was lifted in 2023 because its rating was well above listed status for that renewal - 99.75 (cf. benchmark 98). The benchmark rating for a G3 is 103. It would need to achieve that for a few renewals to be upgraded. I doubt it will reach that level  let alone listed status from this year's running.

He's either ignorant or dreaming and a journalist of Searle's standing and longevity should have pointed that out to him and in the article imo.

We need less group races, not more!

Good on the club for not sitting on their hands though.  Their work has to be commended.

I'd like to see more clubs with energy, and backing themselves.

As curious said, they need to side step contacting NZTR and put a case to the Pattern Committee.  I'd also contact clubs like Matamata to see if they could share any tips on turning ideas into something, and partnering with studs, trainers, owners and businesses in their region.

I'd like to say well done to Southland, and good luck.

• Like 1

Southland Racing Clubs seems to be financially in a good position, must be the Trotting Club keeping them going  but must have other income streams as well, probably farm the place, training centre etc etc, I know they even sponsored the Stags in the NPC, wonder what they get out of that, probably a big fat fucking zero.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Special Agent said:

Good on the club for not sitting on their hands though.  Their work has to be commended.

I'd like to see more clubs with energy, and backing themselves.

As curious said, they need to side step contacting NZTR and put a case to the Pattern Committee.  I'd also contact clubs like Matamata to see if they could share any tips on turning ideas into something, and partnering with studs, trainers, owners and businesses in their region.

I'd like to say well done to Southland, and good luck.

Some good points & they'd be best steer well clear of NZTR, I imagine it must be very challenging get a race in the deep south upgraded. 

Certainly wish them the best.

A total reconstruct of the pattern/calendar would give those smaller but financially sound 'country' clubs a real chance at hosting genuine G3 races. They are realistic, they understand the days of e.g. Levin racing club hosting a G1 race are gone, however there are a good few clubs in both Islands that deserve a better opportunity then currently afforded, at putting on high class races on a Saturday.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wingman said:

A total reconstruct of the pattern/calendar would give those smaller but financially sound 'country' clubs a real chance at hosting genuine G3 races. They are realistic, they understand the days of e.g. Levin racing club hosting a G1 race are gone, however there are a good few clubs in both Islands that deserve a better opportunity then currently afforded, at putting on high class races on a Saturday.

Ascot Park on Saturday was a excellent days racing, I think the calendar the way it structured from Boxing Day until Easter is well structured in the South Island, even the West Coast get a fair go,  with meetings mostly alternating from Riccarton to a Southern feature every fortnight for a short period , after Easter it starts to be a bit of a challenge down South, maybe the stakes being better might help.

Edited by mikeynz

25 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Ascot Park on Saturday was a excellent days racing, I think the calendar the way it structured from Boxing Day until Easter is well structured in the South Island, even the West Coast get a fair go,  with meetings mostly alternating from Riccarton to a Southern feature every fortnight for a short period , after Easter it starts to be a bit of a challenge down South, maybe the stakes being better might help.

Where are the feature meetings in Canterbury/West Coast during that period post Cup week? I must have missed them.

13 minutes ago, curious said:

Where are the feature meetings in Canterbury/West Coast during that period post Cup week? I must have missed them.

Canterbury does fine in the context of things, Riccarton want everything at Riccarton, do you ?

10 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Canterbury does fine in the context of things, Riccarton want everything at Riccarton, do you ?

Might be getting a bit off topic but no. That's not what I said. 3 months with no Feature meeting in Canterbury- Westland. It's nuts. Doesn't have to be at Riccarton. If NZTR don't sort the programming issues, they've no hope of helping Entain achieve wagering targets. They have to programme races in line with demand. Have a look at this week.

Riccarton has a 30k 75 1400 with 20 acceptances, 6 balloted out. The equivalent feature race at Otaki has 10 runners. Likewise the R65 mile and sprint have 11 and 9 runners respectively whereas the equivalent 18k R65 1400 at Riccarton on Friday has 2 balloted out in each race after splitting it. As I said it's nuts if they want to develop wagering revenue. Stakes need to be aligned with available horses. The Riccarton races will generate way more revenue than the Otaki ones.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, curious said:

Don't forget, the Sth Island is now considered to be 'one region',  so I am told.  Therefore, feature meetings somewhere the other side of Cook Strait would fulfil any obligations that might be felt in H.Q.

Maybe send them a map?

• Like 1

To me it is as obvious as the nose on your face but, I didn't realise until recently how many in the industry were totally against all the gimmick races.  It does appear very few agree with the amount of stake money being pumped into a few select races, particularly more than $300,000 attached to a maiden instead of, for example, 3 x $100,000 races.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Special Agent said:

To me it is as obvious as the nose on your face but, I didn't realise until recently how many in the industry were totally against all the gimmick races.  It does appear very few agree with the amount of stake money being pumped into a few select races, particularly more than $300,000 attached to a maiden instead of, for example, 3 x $100,000 races.

But do not fret , there is no cartel in NZ racing!