Bit Of A Yarn

Ellerslie Fields

I wonder if the club would be slightly disappointed with the fields for Derby Day, especially given the stakes on offer? No capacity fields and only 4 races with more than 11 starters.

Interesting to see only 12 in the much vaulted Rangitoto race. No need for ballots, unlike the ODT race at Wingatui for a similar class. Perhaps it is a good indicator that we really do need those top few trainers to maintain decent field sizes. Of all the new gimmick races it is probably fair to say this has been the most disappointing one so far, at least in terms of numbers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I wonder if the club would be slightly disappointed with the fields for Derby Day, especially given the stakes on offer? No capacity fields and only 4 races with more than 11 starters.

Interesting to see only 12 in the much vaulted Rangitoto race. No need for ballots, unlike the ODT race at Wingatui for a similar class. Perhaps it is a good indicator that we really do need those top few trainers to maintain decent field sizes. Of all the new gimmick races it is probably fair to say this has been the most disappointing one so far, at least in terms of numbers.

Do we need them to maintain bigger field sizes or would we be better offer helping a few of the smaller ones out to maintain fields sizes? 

I have a feeling its the smaller trainers not really having a go, for obvious reasons.

Surely there are more than 12 decent jockeys in the whole NI?

It would be quite interesting to know why trainers haven't supported it, or targeted it, in contrast to the Wingatui race. I notice there is only one trainer with more than one starter.

3 hours ago, Doomed said:

Surely there are more than 12 decent jockeys in the whole NI?

It would be quite interesting to know why trainers haven't supported it, or targeted it, in contrast to the Wingatui race. I notice there is only one trainer with more than one starter.

Possibly because of a lack of confidence in the safety of the track?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, curious said:

Possibly because of a lack of confidence in the safety of the track?

Maybe they could try this track.

Surely a few horses wouldn't make it any worse than it already is.

image.png.1394aba55f65d757492c3a214f62d95c.png