Bit Of A Yarn

Auckland Cup next week..

The big 3200m race next week.Going by nominations it looks like an even capacity field with several chances.

Possibly 3 x past winners will line up.....Uareastar , Ocean Billy and Roger That.

As well as those three , previous winning trainers who have won the event include Lance O'Sullivan , Bruce Wallace ,Debbie Sweeney,Alan Sharrock and Bill Thurlow.

A winning jockey Grant Cooksley likely to be a co-trainer..

Wellington Cup winners Mary Louise and Waisake are likely starters ditto 2023 NZ Cup winner Mahrajaan.

Should be another great days racing at Ellerslie...Fields out Wednesday

2 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Possibly 3 x past winners will line up.....Uareastar , Ocean Billy and Roger That.

They possibly don't quite have the same aura about them as some of the earlier winners of the race.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Doomed said:

They possibly don't quite have the same aura about them as some of the earlier winners of the race.

Indeed they no Il Tempo or Castletown or Apollo Eleven but a lot of 'average' stayers from smaller stables have won the race over the years !

The odd Hurdler and West Coast winner too !

The General Admission charge of $30 is a negative. Previously just turning up at the gate still had the advantage of knowing ones mates or friends would be in attendance. Nowadays that is a rarity. The on the day gate charge is simply there as a backstop to encouraging function or social group bookings.

The dismal looking "crowd" on Derby day will probably be worse on Cup day.

Promotion by showing splashy looking 20 year old models is a discouragement for middle aged women to attend. Certainly attendance by Mr Average or family groups on a budget won't happen.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

The General Admission charge of $30 is a negative. Previously just turning up at the gate still had the advantage of knowing ones mates or friends would be in attendance. Nowadays that is a rarity. The on the day gate charge is simply there as a backstop to encouraging function or social group bookings.

Promotion by showing splashy looking 20 year old models is a discouragement for middle aged women to attend. Certainly attendance by Mr Average or family groups on a budget won't happen.

Agree about the admission fee. Make it free and get people in the gate. I'm sure theyll make it up with bar sales and turnover.

5 hours ago, Assange said:

Agree about the admission fee. Make it free and get people in the gate. I'm sure theyll make it up with bar sales and turnover.

Assange,  you must be getting quite nervous. The expected appeal decision expected before March 10. Al least Albanese is now in your corner. Be lovely to see you at the races this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Strongly agree re the marketing. By now these clubs and Love Racing should have realised that by showing some posers all done up with wine glasses in their hands puts 95% of the market out of their comfort zone so they give it a miss.

Each year when The Auckland Cup rolls around, I chuckle about stupid Chris Weaver who screwed up the racing calendar by moving the Cup to a Wednesday in March as well as chasing away general punters and declared that The Cup would be "the race that stops two nations".

And the Auckland Racing Club swallowed it hook line and sinker.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, The Centaur said:

I saw a photo in the Herald and assumed the top tier of the public grandstand was closed on Derby day, which seemed strange to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doomed said:

I saw a photo in the Herald and assumed the top tier of the public grandstand was closed on Derby day, which seemed strange to me.

A nice , comfortable crowd there.....

I'd guess it will sneak into the Top 10 gallops meetings of year for attendance , as it did in the early days of the change over for Derby from Boxing Day to March around 2011. It was actually 5th in 2011  after Boxing day was top equal with NZ cup day with 20,000.Then in 2012 Boxing Day  day was 25,000 before the 'rot' set in with change in BYO liquor laws and every one leaving town.

Back then Auckland had 3 x days in the top10 for oncourse gallops attendance....now it has 5 in top 10 with Karaka day 12000 picking up a bit of slack.

Re betting , in year 2017-18 Wellington Cup day led with $5.4  on their day , NZ Cup next on $5.2 then ATR had next 4 slots with Jan 1 , then Cup day, Derby Day , and Karaka with Melbourne Cup day at Ellerslie  in 9th...

So with food and beverage offerings more intense now the overall result would be interesting with the years that the Infield was open for BYO.

The gate charge is an interesting one...been debated for years , Some say putting a value on Entry increases the 'value perception' to many. Maybe should encourage Membership as gate charges apply to main 5 x days and free book and some  privileges with other Clubs too.

Of course betting now encouraged to be on line.....less windows operating.

The beaut newly renovated  Birdcage Sports bar had no tills with people selling on Derby day ,but about 5 x machines.It was a big 'private' function so unsure about future operations.

15 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

I'd guess it will sneak into the Top 10 gallops meetings of year for attendance , as it did in the early days of the change over for Derby from Boxing Day to March around 2011. It was actually 5th in 2011  after Boxing day was top equal with NZ cup day with 20,000.Then in 2012 Boxing Day  day was 25,000 before the 'rot' set in with change in BYO liquor laws and every one leaving town.

Back then Auckland had 3 x days in the top10 for oncourse gallops attendance....now it has 5 in top 10 with Karaka day 12000 picking up a bit of slack.

Re betting , in year 2017-18 Wellington Cup day led with $5.4  on their day , NZ Cup next on $5.2 then ATR had next 4 slots with Jan 1 , then Cup day, Derby Day , and Karaka with Melbourne Cup day at Ellerslie  in 9th...

So with food and beverage offerings more intense now the overall result would be interesting with the years that the Infield was open for BYO.

The gate charge is an interesting one...been debated for years , Some say putting a value on Entry increases the 'value perception' to many. Maybe should encourage Membership as gate charges apply to main 5 x days and free book and some  privileges with other Clubs too.

The beaut newly renovated  Birdcage Sports bar had no tills with people selling on Derby day ,but about 5 x machines.It was a big 'private' function so unsure about future operations.

There is nothing difficult about oncourse betting.

1. No machines or operators required.

2. Patrons establish temporary account on the day receive card with id i.e. bar code.

3. Bets placed through qr codes bringing up the race and temp account linked to phone. Customers need no pre education how to bet online. Use of qr codes for access makes betting easy.

4. Payout end of day cashing up card with bar code etc.

Simple.

14 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

I am unsure if they are still counting attendance figures as I read somewhere that they had ceased as part of cost cutting. The two biggest this season I have seen were NZ Cup Day and Tauherenikau New Years meeting where they also had a big crowd on Waitangi Day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloke said:

I am unsure if they are still counting attendance figures as I read somewhere that they had ceased as part of cost cutting. The two biggest this season I have seen were NZ Cup Day and Tauherenikau New Years meeting where they also had a big crowd on Waitangi Day. 

May be cost cutting but a lot of security on hand...increasing that.

NZ Cup closed off at 15,000 so clearly tops from Karaka Day closed off at 12,000..

Yes Tauherenikau gets great crowds but judging from their accounts it not reflected in gate takings so obviously a hell of a lot of kids. Great country /picnic atmospher. They were on one lisI saw at about 6th best in NZ a few years back.

Against predictions on here , Riccarton managed big crowd without Public stand....the boot parties and music dancers didn't care. And I think entry $50 from memory ! So price OK for FOMO. The place to be !

45 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Against predictions on here , Riccarton managed big crowd without Public stand....the boot parties and music dancers didn't care. And I think entry $50 from memory ! So price OK for FOMO. The place to be !

Certainly one of the meetings I avoid these days, though I have free entry, even if I have a horse running.

Edited by curious

14 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

May be cost cutting but a lot of security on hand...increasing that.

NZ Cup closed off at 15,000 so clearly tops from Karaka Day closed off at 12,000..

Yes Tauherenikau gets great crowds but judging from their accounts it not reflected in gate takings so obviously a hell of a lot of kids. Great country /picnic atmospher. They were on one lisI saw at about 6th best in NZ a few years back.

Sure, there are many kids but Tauherenikau's contribution to racing is significant as they are introducing these kids to racing. All the entertainment is provided for the kids is met by the club, they are not parasites on the industry such as the Karaka Millions which is the costliest piss up of the year. 

As far as the so-called list of attendance goes, even in the days that they were supposed to be counting they would have to have got up early to count at Tauherenikau because by 9am on January 2, Race Day there are already thousands on course.

• Like 2
  • Bad Post 1

52 minutes ago, Bloke said:

Sure, there are many kids but Tauherenikau's contribution to racing is significant as they are introducing these kids to racing. All the entertainment is provided for the kids is met by the club, they are not parasites on the industry such as the Karaka Millions which is the costliest piss up of the year. 

As far as the so-called list of attendance goes, even in the days that they were supposed to be counting they would have to have got up early to count at Tauherenikau because by 9am on January 2, Race Day there are already thousands on course.

Those are the sort of race days that I remember as a kid, maybe not with Tauherenikau numbers, but that's what got me hooked both as a punter and for a career path.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, curious said:

Those are the sort of race days that I remember as a kid, maybe not with Tauherenikau numbers, but that's what got me hooked both as a punter and for a career path.

Sometimes true , and in your case it created a lifetimei interest. 

The families we often went with were involved in ownership and Club administration and not ONE of their whanau developed any interest at all. Sure kids like the running races , candyfloss and bouncy castle but very few nowdays create any interest in racing at all.

They can't even pick up the tickets off ground to check if they make any money.

All my kids , sisters kids and related family members never go near a race meeting....why....it is so damn boring ,a few horses running ,some plodding around a big track for 2 mins every 40 minutes.

Not one vaguely interested even if their parents and grand parents ,uncles etc went regularly before them and/or worked at races on day.

A lot of the so called 'parasites' are regular race attenders , bet regularly etc will become owners and  are the future of Racing. 

Picnic races on public holidays traditionally get the good crowds ,often the only thing on.

Young people too busy at beach ,waterskiing ,music festival , concerts , sport , malls...not interested to drive 60 - 180 mins to race meeting.

'Parasites' an inappropriate term and should be kicked to touch !

• Bad Post 1

We did the beach, waterskiing ,music festivals, concerts, other sport etc. too, as age appropriate but this started well before most of that. And there was no long drive. The racecourse was next door! We were there for pony club on Sundays as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

We did the beach, waterskiing ,music festivals, concerts, other sport etc. too, as age appropriate but this started well before most of that. And there was no long drive. The racecourse was next door! We were there for pony club on Sundays as well.

Which is a big difference now between NZ and OZ.  They seem to embrace and encourage the bush and country tracks.  We close them down!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Which is a big difference now between NZ and OZ.  They seem to embrace and encourage the bush and country tracks.  We close them down!

Yes.  They have the nous to understand how important community and even tourist involvement is in the country areas. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yes.  They have the nous to understand how important community and even tourist involvement is in the country areas. 

The lesson was learned, or should have been, in the late 90s when the Nelson Jockey Club stopped racing and TAB turnover from that region plummeted. A super course much favoured and supported by Canterbury trainers and owners as well as a number of NI ones.

It's pretty simple, take racing out of a community and you take the community out of racing.

TAB For Ever's negative view of this just does not stack up. Step aside and let those of us with a more positive outlook and constructive approach move forward so we can have racing the way it was meant to be and make it self-sustainable again rather than living on the dole.

My one year old granddaughter is already riding finishes on her rocking horse. Don't tell me kids can't become interested in or excited by racing because of other distractions. 

Edited by curious
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 3

On 3/6/2024 at 2:58 PM, The Centaur said:

There is nothing difficult about oncourse betting.

1. No machines or operators required.

2. Patrons establish temporary account on the day receive card with id i.e. bar code.

3. Bets placed through qr codes bringing up the race and temp account linked to phone. Customers need no pre education how to bet online. Use of qr codes for access makes betting easy.

4. Payout end of day cashing up card with bar code etc.

Simple.

Interesting .....is this something you have introduced or tried to introduce to Clubs ?

Calls for change ,and many of us  racefolk don't react kindly or quickly to change.

The meetings which have a big on-course  crowds nowdays like Cup Week in Christchurch , Kumara ,Nelson Trots ,Wellington Cup and few others have to ship or fly in Tote staff to sell tickets at the tote.

Many of these people brought in from other end of New Zealand eg Auckland. They fly down to Wellington and Christchurch and up from Dunedin. During Cup week I noticed several were leaving early before end of day , then returning again for the big Saturday. When Nelson/Kumara back to back they have the fun of a bus ride and tiki tour to man the tills !

18 hours ago, curious said:

The lesson was learned, or should have been, in the late 90s when the Nelson Jockey Club stopped racing and TAB turnover from that region plummeted. A super course much favoured and supported by Canterbury trainers and owners as well as a number of NI ones.

It's pretty simple, take racing out of a community and you take the community out of racing.

TAB For Ever's negative view of this just does not stack up. Step aside and let those of us with a more positive outlook and constructive approach move forward so we can have racing the way it was meant to be and make it self-sustainable again rather than living on the dole.

My one year old granddaughter is already riding finishes on her rocking horse. Don't tell me kids can't become interested in or excited by racing because of other distractions. 

I see your regular fans support , as per usual ,your take  on things racing !

I'm impressed your 1 yr old grand daughter heading for a 'horsey' future ....but I wouldn't bet on it.

Shame Black Beauty ,Ed the talking horse wasn't still on TV or National Velvet at the movies !

You have trotted the example of NELSON out before.......IMO somewhat embellished.

Some of my family has happily lived in Nelson for 50 years so experienced the demise of Gallops in the area plus the decline in Harness as well ...a sleepy inertia ,but at least there a still a few Trotters in the area.When the gallops folded there was basically NO local horse population ,Nelson was hosting only 2 x gallops a year ...also 4 x trot days , now down to 3. The 2x gallops were in early April and were mainly supported by North Island trainers even some of the best .....Eales, Temperton , RMarsh , Rogerson , Bergerson ,PCampbell ,Cutterbuck.

When the end was inevitable did they try and awake the sleepy locals in giving massive support to the gallops...NO......they turned to the poor people of Avondale in Auckland ! Genius !

Nelson was one of the first places to start Gallops in NZ and one of the first Jockey Clubs to form here. They had the famous Mr Redwood who bred horses , top horses and travelled far and wide to race them . However , as most Race Clubs struggled financially......there were far too many tracks most towns had one or two , The Nelson Club decided to sell their well laid out track and facilities to the Agricultural Club and rent thereafter. It wasn't long before the 'horse region' moved south to Canterbury. Nelson soon became a minnow !

Nelson gallops eventually folded because its locals had little interest and had found other things for their entertainment and gambling. By 1987 when LOTTO started things were grim. Nelson had become the retirement ,backpackers and dope smoking Capital of NZ. Around that time The Honda Car factory and Griffins biscuit factory closed and 'sunshine wages' became the norm. The high paying labour jobs in big Fish industry went to immigrants from Pacific or they just flew people in to hop on the trawlers.

Great place to live but the retired people don't bet much ,neither did the European/USA folk who started all the wineries and art& craft industries.Add the fact that Nelson was most expensive place in NZ to live with Grocery prices , Petrol and the greenie Council rates etc.

Around the time Gallops folded and Lotto etc emerged the 10 nightclubs all closed !

Nelson racing lacked  the tenacity and robustness of neighbours on the West Coast or even boring old Blenheim.

I believe Mikie from Blenhein kept the Nelson racing going for many years with his administration and funding ability.....from BlenheimDefinitely the Harness which since him have done some of their running of Club from Christchurch. Harness in early January gets boomer crowds cos half of Canterbury up there. Locals have little appetite for racing , they never have !

Even in other sports they have needed an ultimatum of sorts to wake them out of their retirement mode......most young folk leave area for good after School finishes....Nelson now has good Rugby ground ,Cricket ground for  Internationals , big Sprts stadium , Athletics track etc....

They have Blenheim to thank for saving rugby....when Gallops folded they were close to worst rugby team in NZ.....with Buller and East Coast....but that a story for another time.

If Nelson betting ever plummeted it was from very poor to atrocious !

You need to find a better and less embellished example........Wellington let Harness fold , and Dunedin which was one of the biggest Gallops areas in NZ and hosted the Interdominions in Harness[ 1965] let Trotting fold and the gallops scene looks bleak as well , in no small way thanks to the Anderton Dynasty . Their track still hosts plenty of meetings !