Bit Of A Yarn

ratings quiz

Heres one for you.

Which of these michael house trained runners has the higher rating

a)superstar legend-16 race winner,stakes $161,000. winner of 2 of its last 5 starts including the highest rating race today.

b)warloch-                 15 race winner,stakes $226,000

c)avenger-                   2 race winner, stakes $16,000

Edited by the galah

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, the galah said:

Heres one for you.

Which of these michael house trained runners has the higher rating

a)superstar legend-16 race winner,stakes $161,000. winner of 2 of its last 5 starts including the highest rating race today.

b)warloch-                 15 race winner,stakes $226,000

c)avenger-                   2 race winner, stakes $16,000

Remember ,before answering the above quiz,just remind yourself how clever the people are who came up with our current rating system.

Edited by the galah

29 minutes ago, the galah said:

Remember ,before answering the above quiz,just remind yourself how clever the people are who came up with our current rating system.

Avenger at R55. But I have never understood this ratings system. I am a bit slow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyril said:

Avenger at R55. But I have never understood this ratings system. I am a bit slow.

correct cyril.

obviously your not slow,the reason you can't make any sense of it it because it makes no sense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the galah said:

correct cyril.

obviously your not slow,the reason you can't make any sense of it it because it makes no sense.

For getting the answer correct, I get to pick tonights Grace Kelly movie.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Mid way through last year Hrnz had an independant working group come up with recommendations to

"achieve the fairest and most equitable method of handicapping"

The independent working group comprised rob lawson,tony thomas,jay abernethy,darrin williams,regan todd,nathan williamson,andrew morris,kevin smith and cameron kirkwood.

So these people don't seem stupid,but it doesn't take einstein to work out that no,they didn't " achieve the fairest and most equitable method of handicapping".

What they gave us is a system that rates a 2 win horse like Avenger,3 rating points higher than a 16 win horse like superstar legend who has won $145,000 more and who in its last 16 starts has had 4 wins,3 2nds,2 3rds,3 4ths($33500).

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

I just looked up the fields for thurday at the manawatu.

Would you believe it.

Superstar legend actually drops in grade,and gets  to run against 8 rivals,3 of which are 1 win horses and 2, 2 win horses.

meanwhile the 2 win avenger is running against 5 rivals who have won 54 races between them.

We can't blame the connections of superstar legend for taking advantage of such a farcically designed system.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

Michael House the master at making the most of these opportunities.

He turns up with the horses ,so those structuring the races often need to tweak the conditions to fit em all in....very clever of him when there are small fields and club needs all the horses it can get.

It seems weird that a horse can win the main race of day then 2 x days later race lesser horses.

Bet on Red !

• Like 3

Advertising for a new CEO at the moment for harness Nz!

Whoever it becomes has surely got their work cut out?

Double award winner, Nigel Armstrong/harness unhinged is doing the most active promotion for harness racing in Nz, and he is UNPAID??????????

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

A group of people from different areas within the industry,who called themselves a  reference group with john mooney their spokesman,have asked for change to the handicapping system,and suggested non win horses should be given a r40 after their first win.

Personally i think their is a lot more common sense from that group,although don't agree myself with the preferential treatment they suggest 2 year winners should get. They want 2 year old winners to return to be rated as a non win horse when they turn 3. All that will mean is you will get races where people will withdraw after nominating again and some non win races  dominated by hot favorites.

But at least the reference group has better ideas than the people they left it to last year.

The unfortunate thing is if they do change,it will only be from 1 august. something to do with IT.

Of course they could get around that and start making the badly needed immediate changes by doing so with setting programmes and making up fields with race condition that are fairer.

Whether the current handicappers and race programmers are capable of doing that,well i doubt it.

Another thing that i think is clear is they give too many concessions to junior drivers. 

If we take the example of superstar legend that i have been using,he has had the equivalent of 3 1/2 penalty free wins within the last 10 months. So she had been getting a penalty free rating win at a rate of 1 every 3 months or so when you include the full and half penalty free wins for the juniors.

As tab for ever has said,michael house is a master at getting the maximum benefits out of the current system.Hes just too clever for the system and gets rewarded accordingly. So you have to somewhat reluctantly  admire him for that.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1