Bit Of A Yarn

NZTR Announcement on the future of Avondale

Update on Avondale Racecourse 

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR), in conjunction with Avondale Jockey Club (AJC), would like to issue a joint statement regarding current discussions between the governing body and the racing Club. 

Representatives from both NZTR and AJC are working together constructively to agree on the future of the Racecourse land, as well as the direction of the Club entity. 

This week, the parties have become aware of a social media post created by the Avondale Business Association concerning a submission AJC made in 2022 about the future of the Avondale racecourse. 

In 2022, the AJC made a submission to Auckland Council’s Plan Change 78 - a housing intensification plan change mandated by the Government of the time. The Club’s submission asked the Independent Hearing Panel to consider whether a residential zoning for the land would be more appropriate, and consistent with the mandated purpose of Plan Change 78.

The AJC submission acknowledged that NZTR’s Venue Plan process proposed to cease racing at Avondale Racecourse after the 2024/2025 season and as a result, the Club has asked the Independent Hearing Panel to consider whether the better zoning for the land in the future is a residential zone. 

AJC’s submission forms part of the Plan Change process and is not directly related to NZTR or the Racing Industry Act.

NZTR understands that the recent social media post, which focuses on this Plan Change submission, may raise concerns about the future of the Racecourse land amongst participants and the wider public. 

The current discussions between NZTR and AJC are independent of Auckland Council’s Plan Change 78 process. Importantly, the Club intends to engage with its members and community about the future of the Racecourse at an appropriate time. 

NZTR would like to thank the Club for its willingness to engage in collaborative discussions to date. Both parties will continue to seek a positive outcome for the Racecourse land and the Club that will benefit New Zealand racing participants and the wider Avondale community. 

Corporate Communications
New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing
+64 21 071 2929

nztrcommunications@nztr.co.nz

Interesting that the Warriors with Cameron George at the helm have invested in a sports bar complex near Eden Park.

Now to keep racing interest out west perhaps a farm property to rehome ex horses, spell and break in racehorses. A place where enthusiasts can visit and meet other like minded racing followers. Somewhere suitable between say  Helensville and Orewa.

The circus has got itself in a great position to close all of these venues , the other tracks are easily coping the extra race days and other events.

What would be funny here is if NZTR miss out on the dosh for these venues , based around some government policy. Given the environment we are in now its very possible to happen. 

Then they look even more stupid than they have before, hard to believe I know.

• Like 1

It is at least60 years since I had horses training at Avondale but if I recall correctly a lot of the land was an infill dump.It may not be thhe Golden Kiwi ticket some hope for

• Like 3

I went to the meeting tonight. The speaker was Eryn Shields, a Senior Town Planner at Auckland Council.

Before the meeting, I read the "Update on Avondale Racecourse" from NZTR. After that, I thought I knew it all. Avondale Jockey Club is asking the "Hearing Panel to consider whether the better zoning for the land (Avondale Racecourse) is a residential zone." Just a simple little yes or no question.

Now for the reality. Avondale is asking for the entire racecourse, which is at present zoned Special Purpose - Major Recreation Facility Zone (SPZ), to be changed to Terraced Housing and Apartment Buildings (THAB). They also want the standard height limit for THAB, which is 21m or 22m, increased to 32.5m. Land adjacent to the racecourse is zoned THAB with a 32.5m height limit.

NZTR says in its statement that what is happening, "is not directly related to NZTR or the Racing Act." I am not buying that. 

Avondale Jockey Club is selling the racecourse because NZTR has revoked all their licences and said they won't get any more after 2024/2025. There are provisions in the Racing Act, such as clause 24 (2) that say, "... the assets of the racing club ... vest in the racing code ... . " NZTR can sell Avondale Racecourse if Avondale Jockey Club doesn't play ball and sell the racecourse themselves.

You can watch the presentation by Eryn Shields here https://www.facebook.com/avondalenz/videos/456374603385043/

The submission from the Avondale Jockey Club is attached.

How upfront is NZTR about what's happening?

AvondaleJockeyClubSubmissionPlanChange78.pdf

• Champ Post 1

11 hours ago, Delta Bro said:

I went to the meeting tonight. The speaker was Eryn Shields, a Senior Town Planner at Auckland Council.

Before the meeting, I read the "Update on Avondale Racecourse" from NZTR. After that, I thought I knew it all. Avondale Jockey Club is asking the "Hearing Panel to consider whether the better zoning for the land (Avondale Racecourse) is a residential zone." Just a simple little yes or no question.

Now for the reality. Avondale is asking for the entire racecourse, which is at present zoned Special Purpose - Major Recreation Facility Zone (SPZ), to be changed to Terraced Housing and Apartment Buildings (THAB). They also want the standard height limit for THAB, which is 21m or 22m, increased to 32.5m. Land adjacent to the racecourse is zoned THAB with a 32.5m height limit.

NZTR says in its statement that what is happening, "is not directly related to NZTR or the Racing Act." I am not buying that. 

Avondale Jockey Club is selling the racecourse because NZTR has revoked all their licences and said they won't get any more after 2024/2025. There are provisions in the Racing Act, such as clause 24 (2) that say, "... the assets of the racing club ... vest in the racing code ... . " NZTR can sell Avondale Racecourse if Avondale Jockey Club doesn't play ball and sell the racecourse themselves.

You can watch the presentation by Eryn Shields here https://www.facebook.com/avondalenz/videos/456374603385043/

The submission from the Avondale Jockey Club is attached.

How upfront is NZTR about what's happening?

AvondaleJockeyClubSubmissionPlanChange78.pdf 2.42 MB · 2 downloads

How upfront is NZTR about anything.

• Like 1