Bit Of A Yarn

commingled pools

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Punters aren't looking at the pool sizes - they are looking for value in the prices available.  The TAB has long ago killed the Tote pools with their Fixed Odds product.

Punters may well look for value in the tote prices.

However, if there is buggerall in the tote pools and someone has a semi decent wager it will kill the tote dividend!

Have seen many times this last week of tote win and place pools of 3k each!

Surely this is showing that the punters are just not bothering now?

Races with this amount of tote wagering on win and place just has to be losing money without knowing how much is in The fixed odds book?

I watch the Fixed Odds movements and there is not many punters offloading decent amounts or being allowed to offload big amounts.

TAB needs to lift the shackles and encourage punters to have a go!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Have seen many times this last week of tote win and place pools of 3k each!

Surely this is showing that the punters are just not bothering now?

Not bothering with the Tote perhaps but you have no idea what the bookies have taken on Fixed Odds.  The Fixed Odds have been pillaging the Tote pools more and more from the day they were introduced.

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Not bothering with the Tote perhaps but you have no idea what the bookies have taken on Fixed Odds.  The Fixed Odds have been pillaging the Tote pools more and more from the day they were introduced.

I have no idea whatsoever why punters bother betting on the tote?

Why are we not being shown exactly how much the Bookies have actually taken on fixed odds book?

I personally do not give a toss about how much is in the tote pools!

Does anyone actually need to see the tote only betting pools, give us both!

If there is plenty of $ actually being offloaded into the Fixed Odds Books, then that should mean that the Bookies shouldnt be needing to placing restrictions on punters!

When they slash the odds on a horse 3 times after a bet, all it is doing is stopping anyone else wagering on that horse, as the odds are then unders!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

When they slash the odds on a horse 3 times after a bet, all it is doing is stopping anyone else wagering on that horse, as the odds are then unders!

Supermarkets do it by limiting how many items you can buy at a special price.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why?  How would having that information change your assessment of price value?

It wouldn’t change any assessment but it would show how much interest there is on the race and meeting!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Supermarkets do it by limiting how many items you can buy at a special price.

So letting only one punter on at the opening fixed price is a good business decision?

Hardly encouraging wagering.

22 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why do you need to know that?

I wouldnt need to know that, but supposedly the $ are going on fixed odds instead of the tote!

If we knew the fixed odds amounts being wagered we would be able to judge if this is the case.

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Why are we not being shown exactly how much the Bookies have actually taken on fixed odds book?

I doubt we will ever see race by race fixed pools information freely given out. Why? Well several reasons come to mind. 

1. They would want to keep a competitive advantage on competition and disclosing this information could reveal certain things they want to keep in house.

2. Disclosing information on fixed odds pools could affect public perception and confidence in their operations. They would not want Brodie kicking up a stink if he was denied a bet and there was $1million dollars in the pool.

3. Giving out details about the amounts wagered in fixed odds pools could potentially impact their risk management strategies.

There would many more reasons but these would be the main ones I reckon. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nowornever said:

I doubt we will ever see race by race fixed pools information freely given out. Why? Well several reasons come to mind. 

1. They would want to keep a competitive advantage on competition and disclosing this information could reveal certain things they want to keep in house.

2. Disclosing information on fixed odds pools could affect public perception and confidence in their operations. They would not want Brodie kicking up a stink if he was denied a bet and there was $1million dollars in the pool.

3. Giving out details about the amounts wagered in fixed odds pools could potentially impact their risk management strategies.

There would many more reasons but these would be the main ones I reckon. 

So why do they post what the tote pools are on Trackside?

All they are now showing is that interest is significantly dropping off on tote wagering!

If it continues the way it currently is, there is going to be very few betting on the tote, as the pool wont be able to sustain any semi reasonable wager?

personally I can not see why they need to hide the amount being wagered on Fixed Odds, it could well be a positive for the TAB if it show significant growth!

The odds are always in the TAB’s favour with the % they offer and therefore they need to be acting in good faith by accepting all punters wagers to an acceptable level!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

So why do they post what the tote pools are on Trackside?

All they are now showing is that interest is significantly dropping off on tote wagering!

If it continues the way it currently is, there is going to be very few betting on the tote, as the pool wont be able to sustain any semi reasonable wager?

personally I can not see why they need to hide the amount being wagered on Fixed Odds, it could well be a positive for the TAB if it show significant growth!

The odds are always in the TAB’s favour with the % they offer and therefore they need to be acting in good faith by accepting all punters wagers to an acceptable level!!

I'm disappointed @Brodie you are clearly showing you don't know how a book maker works.  If they showed the total book value AND the price you'd have a fair idea what their liability per horse was.  They are trying to make money not give it to you!

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I'm disappointed @Brodie you are clearly showing you don't know how a book maker works.  If they showed the total book value AND the price you'd have a fair idea what their liability per horse was.  They are trying to make money not give it to you!

Never been a Bookmaker, Chief and wouldnt be the first time I have been a disappointment😂.

They dont need to advise everyone how much is being put into each horse on every race!

would be more interesting if they advised us how much in total they were accepting on fixed odds betting each meeting!

Does anyone that has bet on the tote give a rats as to how much is in the tote pools?

Showing how little is in the tote pools is actually showing the decline in tote beting, and is that beneficial to anyone?

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Does anyone that has bet on the tote give a rats as to how much is in the tote pools?

Probably not given the trend has been to fixed odds.  I can't remember the last time I had a bet on the Tote.  The biggest issue being the amount of money that suddenly appears in the pool after the horses have run 600m.  I've long suspected the TAB lays off on the tote.

Now if the wanted to revive the Golden Goose (The Tote) again the best thing they could do with the Tote is have real time updating and lower the % they take on each bet iiiowhich would improve prices...I think.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just out of interest ,here are the win pools on tabcorp compared to our tab for todays trots. they are the tote pools and don't include ff .

Nz then (tabcorp) in brackets.6836 (6793),5290 (3516),6352 (2750),8820 (5265),6647 (7336),6255 (6320),,8429 (10740).

Exotic pools seemed well supported overall as well.

So the point i could make is racing midweek in canterbury does get good overall punter participation if they are run in the right time slots.

It seems HRNZ wasted the  opportunity to generate more industry income by not programming the bulk of the extra meetings announced recently, in canterbury. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1