Bit Of A Yarn

Some very poor riding today

barryb

I try not to get into bagging jockeys, but its very hard not to today when witnessing at both venues so below par stuff.

Very cheap leads handed to many today and as a result they have been able to kick on, frustrating for Owners and Punters alike looking on at it that's for sure. 

34 minutes ago, barryb said:

I try not to get into bagging jockeys, but its very hard not to today when witnessing at both venues so below par stuff.

Very cheap leads handed to many today and as a result they have been able to kick on, frustrating for Owners and Punters alike looking on at it that's for sure. 

I have been saying that for a long time Barry, one reason i stick to aus

20 hours ago, barryb said:

a ring could be operating ?

Guest CrossCodes

We get the odd freak jockey like McDonald every now and again, but the calibre of riders in NZ is getting worse by each generation, less and less apprentice riders coming through and more and more older riders just going through the motions, we just get the scraps that nobody else wants.

3 minutes ago, pete said:

When even Rich Billie Marsh is slow away you just have to say it's one of those days.

Hmm that bet makes me wonder about the punting public, how the heck did it shorten so much? was seriously outclassed in that race and needed a miracle to win it. Not up to 1300 mtrs Open company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

We get the odd freak jockey like McDonald every now and again, but the calibre of riders in NZ is getting worse by each generation, less and less apprentice riders coming through and more and more older riders just going through the motions, we just get the scraps that nobody else wants.

Afraid that is becoming the case more often than not.

The terrible situation with Stick McKee and the poor girl just highlights how hard and how risky it is becoming to get local young people to start an apprenticeship,  so many of these kids announce confidently that they 'can ride' but they can't,  and it is just not worth the risk to take on a novice and try to teach him/her to ride.

I have had occasion recently to advertise for a trackrider/stablehand - and have received 12 replies/CV's from India,  several from Mauritius,  Malaysia,  and one very polite lad who rang at 2.30 in the morning from Japan.

Not ONE Kiwi.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, pete said:

Didn't say I backed it Barry. Just noted that it normally pings the gates.

The fourth horse looks a class animal and will win something big over a longer distance if they can keep him sound.

Yep, sorry mate wasn't emplying you had backed it. Typical of how the written word is easily miss-interpreted.

Apologies Pete.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 5:52 PM, barryb said:

Hmm that bet makes me wonder about the punting public, how the heck did it shorten so much? was seriously outclassed in that race and needed a miracle to win it. Not up to 1300 mtrs Open company.

Note: looks like it'll back up at Ellerslie Tuesday with Lisa Allpress aboard and back in trip to 1200m...will be at usual good odds in R82 class ...the Tauranga hiccup was the first time in at least 20 starts that RBM has not led the field from the outset! 

Was looking for the Ellerslie final field odds. 

If you click on Fixed Odds Final Field/NZ racing and then click on the Ellerslie races that are listed, you end up on a Newcastle Harness racing meeting that was run on 26 October :(

Wingatui seems to work ok