Bit Of A Yarn

Another New Role

I see there is another brand new role, General Manager for the CD Club Hub.

In a world where organisations are making redundancies and streamlining it is amazing that racing just keeps throwing more cash at projects and even just ideas.

I wonder if racing administrators have been on some sort of positivity seminar because every one of those you come across is buzzing about all the great things that are happening in racing.  I'm all for acting in a positive manner but, I wonder if common sense and hard work is still alive in this bubble we seem to be in.

• Like 3

The Central Districts Club Hub is a standalone not-for-profit that provides vital operational services to 11 thoroughbred racecourses in the lower North Island. The Hub owns shared raceday infrastructure and employs a number of staff who travel around the region on behalf of 16 well-stablished racing clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

Well, I'm not totally sure about that as, and I stand to be corrected, I thought the trials at Foxton used the Club Hub starting gates which are funded by the clubs of the group.

No. They bought their own gates (8), and volunteers assembled them, partly funded by a Racing Safety Development Fund Grant. I was on the committee when that application was written.

29749845_450273405406226_7355637527972628138_o.jpg.f0cbe48c18b04bdac43c78e58887eb41.jpg

Edited by curious
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

That's great, and Levin did the same.

The question is though, as Foxton is an NZTR trials venue, what is provided and funded by NZTR?

Nothing for trials I don't think. They are self funding.

All a bit stupid isn't it.  Small insignificant clubs that provide such important services to the industry are self funding and told they must close, yet the big clubs are top heavy with staff, run up debts in the millions, have unsafe track surfaces and get handout after handout.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 2

9 hours ago, Special Agent said:

All a bit stupid isn't it.  Small insignificant clubs that provide such important services to the industry are self funding and told they must close, yet the big clubs are top heavy with staff, run up debts in the millions, have unsafe track surfaces and get handout after handout.

It is the modern way. Rugby seems to be following the same path.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doomed said:

It is the modern way. Rugby seems to be following the same path.

Yes, just spoke to a mate who coaches Football at Kurapuni College just out of Greytown. The college has 10 Football teams and only one Rugby team, so they have closed the Rugby ground down at the college and the Rugby Team has to play their games at the Greytown Rugby Club ground.

Featherston just down the road from Greytown no longer has a Senior Rugby team.