Bit Of A Yarn

The Anti-Te Akau Thread aka the Anti-Syndicators Thread.

On 20/04/2024 at 5:18 PM, Huey said:

Have we ever seen the other owners of this horse? It always seem like KFE is the owner?

Geez.  KFE IS an Owner AND the Syndicate Manager.  If you looked closer at the video instead of focusing on KFE you would have seen many of the other owners!

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Geez.  KFE IS an Owner AND the Syndicate Manager.  If you looked closer at the video instead of focusing on KFE you would have seen many of the other owners!

Wow CS didn't know you were also in the KFE fan Club as well, its just an observation . No getting away from the fact that she is made a very big deal of being an owner in the horse more so than the others, as I say just an observation and I'm all for you continuing to enjoy your fan club!

28 minutes ago, Huey said:

Wow CS didn't know you were also in the KFE fan Club as well, its just an observation . No getting away from the fact that she is made a very big deal of being an owner in the horse more so than the others, as I say just an observation and I'm all for you continuing to enjoy your fan club!

But your "observations" seem to have a common theme.  I was just pointing out she is an onwer and syndicate manager so has every right to be front and centre.  Can you think of anyone better to give the trophy speeches?  

45 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But your "observations" seem to have a common theme.  I was just pointing out she is an onwer and syndicate manager so has every right to be front and centre.  Can you think of anyone better to give the trophy speeches?  

Absolutely , how about someone who is a normal owner.

You only hear the good stories about this stable….

Talking to a few people at Riccarton races last week, 3 of them said they would never have a horse with the stable again.

One syndicate had a horse racing in the Nth Island, gelding showed a bit of promise earlier but was disappointing. Syndicate asked if they could race it from a  good stable in the Canterbury…. answer a BIG No… obviously scared of another trainer improving the horse

• Like 1
  • Fake News! 1

12 hours ago, Special Agent said:

I wonder what a normal owner looks like.

Well I've met 5 Te Akau owners recently who each have a share in over 20 of the stable horses.  I guess they're not "normal"  but they've clocked up quite a few major group wins in the last two seasons.  Needless to say they are very happy.

I know one first time owner who has a 100% strike rate (runners to winners) this season and has nabbed a number of group races.  

Back to Imperatriz you could have bought a 2.5% share (yes some people have a share that size) for $9,000.  You would have a share of $7m in stakes and probably close to that again when she sells.

Not to mention the 10 Group One wins.

Needless to say the not normal owners have reinvested.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Newmarket said:

You only hear the good stories about this stable….

That happens from most if not all big stables.  Ask Rogie!

Talking to a few people at Riccarton races last week, 3 of them said they would never have a horse with the stable again.

I met one of those types of owners recently at the races.  Quite frankly they were a dead set pain in the arse and should never have owned a horse in the first place even though over the years they had experienced a lot of success.

One syndicate had a horse racing in the Nth Island, gelding showed a bit of promise earlier but was disappointing. Syndicate asked if they could race it from a  good stable in the Canterbury…. answer a BIG No… obviously scared of another trainer improving the horse

The Syndicate Contracts are very clear.  Obviously they didn't read them.  But your story seems unlikely when Te Akau have a stable in Canterbury and I'm sure would have considered relocation.  Anyone who has owned a number of horses will tell you that they've had a really good one that shows enormous talent at home but just doesn't get it on raceday.

As for Syndicate communication I was with an owner on course recently just after their horse had raced.  It had shown promise winning a trial against good opposition.  The communication from the Syndicator (via text) and the relatively big stable was essentially that the horse was a dog and was sacked.  Some bigger stables have that sort of communication sorted out.

Anyway this Topic is about Imperatriz.  A horse that has been well trained and managed throughout its career.  Barely 16 hands standing on a stone but the winner of some of the biggest sprint races in Australia and New Zealand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

That happens from most if not all big stables.  Ask Rogie!

I met one of those types of owners recently at the races.  Quite frankly they were a dead set pain in the arse and should never have owned a horse in the first place even though over the years they had experienced a lot of success.

The Syndicate Contracts are very clear.  Obviously they didn't read them.  But your story seems unlikely when Te Akau have a stable in Canterbury and I'm sure would have considered relocation.  Anyone who has owned a number of horses will tell you that they've had a really good one that shows enormous talent at home but just doesn't get it on raceday.

As for Syndicate communication I was with an owner on course recently just after their horse had raced.  It had shown promise winning a trial against good opposition.  The communication from the Syndicator (via text) and the relatively big stable was essentially that the horse was a dog and was sacked.  Some bigger stables have that sort of communication sorted out.

You should open your eyes mate… horse was Sophisticardo….

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Open my eyes to what exactly?

If you know as much as you infer you do then you'd know why the horse was retired.

Obviously worth trying in weaker Sth Island company don’t you think? 
Was nothing wrong with the nag, 

• Like 1
  • Fake News! 1

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well I've met 5 Te Akau owners recently who each have a share in over 20 of the stable horses.  I guess they're not "normal"  but they've clocked up quite a few major group wins in the last two seasons.  Needless to say they are very happy.

I know one first time owner who has a 100% strike rate (runners to winners) this season and has nabbed a number of group races.  

Back to Imperatriz you could have bought a 2.5% share (yes some people have a share that size) for $9,000.  You would have a share of $7m in stakes and probably close to that again when she sells.

Not to mention the 10 Group One wins.

Needless to say the not normal owners have reinvested.

Be interesting to see what ones 2.5% payout would end up, given all other fees travel ect, mind you it's all about the passion and joy of winning races.

8 minutes ago, Shad said:

Be interesting to see what ones 2.5% payout would end up, given all other fees travel ect, mind you it's all about the passion and joy of winning races.

Not Te Akau but, a small shareholder of Jennifer Eccles once told me that he had not had to top up his contribution a long way out from retirement.  I think the syndicate were paid out because she was sold too.

Most people join syndicates to race, not breed.

Edited by Special Agent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Imperatriz has won $7m.  Take off $1m for Training Fees, trainers and jockeys %.  That leaves $6m.

Let's argue she sells for $7m.  Take off the Trainers clip and other expenses including the original investment and round the sale price to $6m.

$12m net multiplied by 2.5% and you clear $300,000.

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Imperatriz has won $7m.  Take off $1m for Training Fees, trainers and jockeys %.  That leaves $6m.

Let's argue she sells for $7m.  Take off the Trainers clip and other expenses including the original investment and round the sale price to $6m.

$12m net multiplied by 2.5% and you clear $300,000.

That's a very nice return 

21 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

That person took a ticket in the annual TA lottery , I don't get your point here? 

The same person could have spent 2.5% of the cost to get into Espionage (who at least won a race I guess) but cost $875k & won $22k in stakes & there are countless examples of this.

1 hour ago, Huey said:

That person took a ticket in the annual TA lottery , I don't get your point here?

Of course you don't get my point as you are blinded by bias.

Aside from the fact that ANYONE who buys a share in a horse with any trainer is buying a lottery ticket some investment strategies have a better chance of return than others.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Of course you don't get my point as you are blinded by bias.

Aside from the fact that ANYONE who buys a share in a horse with any trainer is buying a lottery ticket some investment strategies have a better chance of return than others.

So what you're saying is you have a bad chance of a ROI on a horse with TA?

• Champ Post 1

11 minutes ago, Huey said:

So what you're saying is you have a bad chance of a ROI on a horse with TA?

Where did I say that?  As with any investment in the bloodstock industry where and how you choose to invest can affect your return.  It also depends on what your strategy and goals are.  If you are looking for a black type success then an investment with Te Akau is better than most.  For example you could have been the lucky last to buy the last share available in Te Akau's 2019 yearling draft which just happened to be Imperatriz.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Huey said:

The same person could have spent 2.5% of the cost to get into Espionage (who at least won a race I guess) but cost $875k & won $22k in stakes & there are countless examples of this.

If they bought two 2.5% shares one in Espionage and one in Imperatriz they'd still be way ahead.  But you are not comparing apples with apples.  Espionage was bought for a Stallion making syndicate.  Now that really is a lottery regardless of the tax breaks.  Imperatriz given her breeding always had residual value as a broodmare.  

• Chief Stipe changed the title to The Anti-Te Akau Thread aka the Anti-Syndicators Thread.