Bit Of A Yarn

This is what NZTR don't understand

Like most things, horse racing becomes someone's passion after being introduced to it by a parent. Then, the parent and the passion become forever linked. 

That is no different for Lance Gasaway, co-owner and co-breeder of Mystik Dan , who is set to run in the Kentucky Derby (G1) May 4 at Churchill Downs

Gasaway's father, Clint, would make the nearly two-hour trek from rural Gould, Ark., to Oaklawn Park with Lance and his brother Greg. That began a life-long passion for the sport. 

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/276534/gasaway-relishing-mystik-dans-run-to-the-derby

• Like 2

Yep that's how I got introduced.  Dad and I at the Westland Racing Club meetings in Hokitika.

Not to mention the complicated math he got me to do at the fund raising Calcutta's!

Or going up to the course on a Saturday morning to watch Johnny Hurren and Cathy Wildbore gallop their charges.  Sometimes a working bee to follow.

• Like 2

my first introduction was via 3ZB, Mum's first cuzzy was Reon M,  Every race that he commentator-ed was listened to.. then aged 16,  started going to Addington and Riccarton, never a meeting missed, ran with the likes of 'Pitty' way before he started training... family interest at the coalface, actually goes way back further, G G Dad, trained the winner of Kumara Nuggets back in 1926? My late Dad had a horse back ground, in the '30's he had a team of 30 Clydesdales.... memories, doesn't racing make them!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2