Bit Of A Yarn

G Boss sharing

4 hours ago, curious said:

Great to see and hear.

I liked how the head coach shared how he exposed his methodology and practice for criticism to GB!  Mentoring from someone who has Experience and the Ability to communicate that!  is often  rather hard to find!  Especially so in such a anti-intellectual Industry as Racing!  :) 

• Like 1

Well done to NZTR for investing in this type of education and upskilling to develop a career -path for participants.

A major part of the main Action points in their Strategic/ Business plan.

Of course another MAIN focus is investing in Tracks and the education of people involved in improving this.

Money sure helps but BSharrock explained these types of investments and great he NOT talking BS !

8 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Well done to NZTR for investing in this type of education and upskilling to develop a career -path for participants.

Of course, there is the reality of wage$ of nz v Au. Personally I know of so many that have moved over, very few come back.

31 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

Of course, there is the reality of wage$ of nz v Au. Personally I know of so many that have moved over, very few come back.

It does make me wonder though why we can't utilise some home grown expertise to do similar guest spots at the apprentice schools. CWJ springs to mind while he's on the sidelines.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Of course another MAIN focus is investing in Tracks and the education of people involved in improving this.

But that hasn't gone very well so far has it?  Will NZTR be reviewing the advice they have been given, the advice they are giving and who is doing the advising?  Perhaps Ellerslie, Te Aroha and Awapuni could be good case studies to start with.  

• Bad Post 1

Quite.

As for Glen Boss - a terrific opportunity for these youngsters to avail themselves of the expertise of one of the all-time greats, and super of Glen to do this.

However, he was one of the guest speakers at Riccarton on Friday, where an auction of Windsor Park yearlings, along with a luncheon and dialogue from not just Glen, but Israel Dagg and the mercurial Peter Moody was held to aid with fundraising for Rohan Mudhoo, recently diagnosed with cancer.   

The day was praised by all who attended, with all credit to the CJC for organizing/catering, etc as well as Windsor Park being involved in this very worthy cause.

I'm not sure that NZTR had that much to do with the overall initiative although no doubt they would have been very supportive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curious said:

It does make me wonder though why we can't utilise some home grown expertise to do similar guest spots at the apprentice schools. CWJ springs to mind while he's on the sidelines.

Jason Laking is mentoring our local lads and lasses here, and doing a great job.   Rides work regularly and is Johnny-on-the-spot if any problems surface.  One young man who has improved in leaps and bounds under his tutelage is Yogesh Atchamah, riding very well indeed currently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

But that hasn't gone very well so far has it?  Will NZTR be reviewing the advice they have been given, the advice they are giving and who is doing the advising?  Perhaps Ellerslie, Te Aroha and Awapuni could be good case studies to start with.  

As you remind us...over and over again, and then some more.

And as you roughly remind us too.......Rome wasn't built in a day ,plenty if time for fiddling !

Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly at first !

32 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly at first !

That is a total cop out. Endeavour to do it once and do it right and then if not right do your best to put it right. Ellerslie to date has been far more spin than substance however we shall now await and see what happens come spring time.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, curious said:

Anything worth doing is also worth doing well! I wonder when that will be.

Most find change difficult , new ideas and attitude come hard.Often fear of failure will prevent actions and advancing new things . Things are not always as bad or as difficult as they seem.

Of course one should endeavour to do things perfect from day 1 ..but often 

24 minutes ago, Wingman said:

That is a total cop out. Endeavour to do it once and do it right and then if not right do your best to put it right. Ellerslie to date has been far more spin than substance however we shall now await and see what happens come spring time.  

How has this affected you personally so deeply......

Many people disappointed in the performance of the new track ,but it should be able to be fixed...club members and those working on track especially disappointed ...and the spending of $55m of Clubs funds no laughing matter , nor the part -meeting abandonment . But the 'spin' to date has created a lot of positive 'noise' for the Industry.

Gives other Clubs the chance to shine ,upgrade etc 

10 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Many people disappointed in the performance of the new track ,but it should be able to be fixed...club members and those working on track especially disappointed ...and the spending of $55m of Clubs funds no laughing matter , nor the part -meeting abandonment . But the 'spin' to date has created a lot of positive 'noise' for the Industry.

You are so drowning in the kool-aid!  They had ample time AND money to get it right first time.  The fact they didn't and the damage caused on Karaka Millions night has left a lot of doubt in a lot of people's mind.  The actions since have done nothing to alleviate those concerns.  Anyway this Topic is about mentoring Jockey's and you diverged.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Most find change difficult , new ideas and attitude come hard.Often fear of failure will prevent actions and advancing new things . Things are not always as bad or as difficult as they seem.

Of course one should endeavour to do things perfect from day 1 ..but often 

They won't do anything perfect from day1 if they don't DO anything. What we continue to get is not new either. It's been the same for decades. It's all talk and hope, as Sharrock says, that they can find another pot of gold somewhere.

Edited by curious

43 minutes ago, curious said:

They won't do anything perfect from day1 if they don't DO anything. What we continue to get is not new either. It's been the same for decades. It's all talk and hope, as Sharrock says, that they can find another pot of gold somewhere.

Agreed ,they looking to find solutions to issues which emerged decades ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You are so drowning in the kool-aid!  They had ample time AND money to get it right first time.  The fact they didn't and the damage caused on Karaka Millions night has left a lot of doubt in a lot of people's mind.  The actions since have done nothing to alleviate those concerns.  Anyway this Topic is about mentoring Jockey's and you diverged.

Indeed I drifted off the thread subject but  for your benefit Chief.......educating you on The workings of NZTR and way the Board formulate the Strategies and Business Plan that the CEO works on.

Cos you stuck up some Marketing plan and tried to score points by suggesting it was the Stategic Plan.....get with the program Chief .

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Agreed ,they looking to find solutions to issues which emerged decades ago. 

According to Sharrock, they have an extra $10m for stakes next year. Heavens knows where that is coming from. If they want to fix /change anything, why not allocate that money to track infrastructure and substantive independent reviews of the programming and handicapping systems and actually implement some change. As I said more talk after decades of it, doesn't give most of us much hope.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Cos you stuck up some Marketing plan and tried to score points by suggesting it was the Stategic Plan.....get with the program Chief .

You obviously are drunk on the Kool-aid!!!  Or you didn't bother to read the document.  I post it in pieces for you so you play with it like a jigsaw!  First piece from the front cover - The Title.

screenshot-nztr.co.nz-2024.05.08-08_55_11.png

15 hours ago, curious said:

According to Sharrock, they have an extra $10m for stakes next year. Heavens knows where that is coming from. If they want to fix /change anything, why not allocate that money to track infrastructure and substantive independent reviews of the programming and handicapping systems and actually implement some change. As I said more talk after decades of it, doesn't give most of us much hope.

Throwing more stakes at the industry is just rinse and repeat of a past failed strategy.  What's the bet that $10m will be allocated to more Novelty Races screwing the pattern and top tier races.  I guess with the latter they might get them high enough to attract some OZZIE raiders.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Throwing more stakes at the industry is just rinse and repeat of a past failed strategy.  What's the bet that $10m will be allocated to more Novelty Races screwing the pattern and top tier races.  I guess with the latter they might get them high enough to attract some OZZIE raiders.

Yes. It occurred to me after I wrote that, I missed another important thing which you mention. So, maybe add in an independent review of the stakes allocation strategy with the objective of aligning the race stakes more closely in direct proportion to the wagering revenue generated from the events. That way the horses, connections and clubs might feel more fairly rewarded for their contribution to the product.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, curious said:

That won't happen, because they don't think there is anything wrong with it.        More stakemoney will drive improvement, so Sharrock told me.  How can any change eventuate with that attitude at the top?

33 minutes ago, Freda said:

That won't happen, because they don't think there is anything wrong with it.        More stakemoney will drive improvement, so Sharrock told me.  How can any change eventuate with that attitude at the top?

Probably won't. Never been much sign of it in recent times. Meanwhile, owners and licence-holders (not to mention small breeders and punters) are either leaving the game or leaving the country.