NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Looking forward to reading the Stewards report

Walt

6 hours ago, Walt said:

He was a regular visitor to Nelson and the Coast year after year and rarely returned back to base without a winner. Good to see him still in the game after so many years. 

and a classmate of the brodster

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Westview said:

Galah you are on the money with how we should be promoting our industry but unfortunately hrnz have chosen to promote a race day experience that doesn't exist just check out harnesslife on facebook this is where our money is being spent.

It's kinda fluffy .................. eek !!@#!!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Westview said:

Unfortunately the betting for these meetings hasn't been good but as you say catering for this class of horse's and their owners is.

Are you including the australian pools totaL

I gave last weeks nsw tabcorp figures on another thread.

If you combined the wednesday win pools of tabcorp nsw  and the entain/nz tab pools,i think you would get something not  too far off what you would get for a addington meeting  on a friday per race.The exoctic pools are always  relatively strong in comparison as well from tabcorp nsw,but the place pools not so.

Then compare the combined pools of tabcorp and nztab fro a saturday harness meeting and i'm sure saturdays are a very poor turnover day compared to wednesdays.

Then compare the combined sunday pools then you i would guess they will be slightly more,but will that last with all the extra meetings on a sunday now?

If they aren't making any money on a canterbury wednesday meeting after paying the stakes,then how could they be making money on a friday addington meeting or a friday auckland meeting?

also i would  have thought that given the reason tabcorp pools seem to hold up well on a wednesday would be because of the greater exposure those races get on those timeslots,then wouldn't it follow that logically pools on betting agencies like betfair,while not over large,would also see improved turnovers.

so are you taking the nz figures in isolation or are you including the total pools of all the betting agencies that HRNZ get a cut of.

Also have you factored in that there may have been an initial drop in pool sizes at the time the new website started. Its hard to tell exactly the significance of that and whether it was just a temporary thing,but you would have to factor in how the pools on other days of the week are comparing due to that factor.

so  are you looking at just part of the picture and not the whole picture, as the whole picture which includes turnovers/stakes paid/everything is what counts?

Edited by the galah

6 minutes ago, the galah said:

Are you including the australian pools totaL

I gave last weeks nsw tabcorp figures on another thread.

If you combined the wednesday win pools of tabcorp nsw  and the entain/nz tab pools,i think you would get something not  too far off what you would get for a addington meeting  on a friday per race.The exoctic pools are always  relatively strong in comparison as well from tabcorp nsw,but the place pools not so.

Then compare the combined pools of tabcorp and nztab fro a saturday harness meeting and i'm sure saturdays are a very poor turnover day compared to wednesdays.

Then compare the combined sunday pools then you i would guess they will be slightly more,but will that last with all the extra meetings on a sunday now?

If they aren't making any money on a canterbury wednesday meeting after paying the stakes,then how could they be making money on a friday addington meeting or a friday auckland meeting?

also i would  have thought that given the reason tabcorp pools seem to hold up well on a wednesday would be because of the greater exposure those races get on those timeslots,then wouldn't it follow that logically pools on betting agencies like betfair,while not over large,would also see improved turnovers.

so are you taking the nz figures in isolation or are you including the total pools of all the betting agencies that HRNZ get a cut of.

Also have you factored in that there may have been an initial drop in pool sizes at the time the new website started. Its hard to tell exactly the significance of that and whether it was just a temporary thing,but you would have to factor in how the pools on other days of the week are comparing due to that factor.

so  are you looking at just part of the picture and not the whole picture, as the whole picture which includes turnovers/stakes paid/everything is what counts?

Your on the money only looking at nz figures,  I'll see if I can get the totals 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nowornever said:

I could write a book on drivers doing that. One of my pet peeves also. Hope For Love at Rangiora in the last race on 5th May the latest of my hairpulling rants. Had a decent place multi finishing on that one, but she pulled off the fence and went nowhere while the horse behind her says thanks and goes on to run a place.

When you are three deep the fence and pull off, half the time it is onto the back of the parked horse who is on his way backwards. You right Brodie you see it time and time again.

Yep. Hear you on Hope For Love lol

Wasnt on her on this past Sunday but she was driven in front, when that doesnt suit her?

Thing is some punters know horses better than their drivers😂

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Westview said:

Your on the money only looking at nz figures,  I'll see if I can get the totals 

I have just spent 30 minutes recording the figures from the tabcorp website as relates to the last 5 nz meetings on wednesday to sunday.

i can't tell you the nz figures as entain don't have the pools in their results,except on the day of the races.

so for tabcorp nsw

the highest average win tote pools for the nz trots was 1) wednesday/addington 6104....  2) thursday /cambridge 6019....  3)friday/addington 5196.... 4)sunday/ashburton 2209.... 5) saturday/winton 2042

as to trifectas  1)thursday/cambridge 2031....2) wednesday/addington 1774....3)friday/addington 1767....4)saturday/winton 1096 ....sunday/ashburton/722....

so you can see the best performing days on the aussie tabcorp tote for nz harness are the wednesdays and the thursdays. 

wednesday addington average stakes are amongst the lowest yet perform the best .

Its obvious races with greater sky racing exposure and lead in times will get the best turnovers in aussie.. Saturdays and sundays will not get the necessary exposure so perform the worst.

the ff pools for tabcorp are not displayed on their website.

The nz tab/entain pools are obviously the most important part of the equation,but the aussie pools still  significant in the big picture.

Really you would think if nz harness is to survive they should be looking at running their meeting at times and on days where they will generate the most turnover. Just common sense.

theres different factors that come into play as regards generating turnover in my opinion but best not to complicate the subject too much and thats why i have stuck with just giving the above figures.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Rangatira said:

and a classmate of the brodster

I didn't know the brodster was a Museum piece Rangatira. Was wondering what to get him for his birthday but have now narrowed it down to two choices.

First option has an area ideal for his race book, bifocals, flask of hot tea and cheese scone his good lady made for him.

1846-SuperStrollerwithTrayandbasket_1.thumb.webp.3a092392011d4921ba1786357f3f8a9a.webp

7322540549034-0_600x600.webp.1ad9cf972da59d5348ace49cfb68bc64.webp

• Haha 4

On 13/05/2024 at 4:53 PM, Brodie said:

It is blatantly obvious obvious why our leading driver’s UDR are so much higher than the other drivers that have low UDR ratings!

Their IQ and ability to read a race and the desire to do best by the owner is clear to see.

Brodie did you get on George Elliot.  Biggest certainty of the year with John Morrison driving. Previous form with Trevor driving unlucky, unlucky, unlucky, three wide and parked, unlucky, unlucky.

$4.40 on opening was a gift from the gods and bookies got that one well wrong.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2024 at 7:45 PM, the galah said:

I have just spent 30 minutes recording the figures from the tabcorp website as relates to the last 5 nz meetings on wednesday to sunday.

i can't tell you the nz figures as entain don't have the pools in their results,except on the day of the races.

so for tabcorp nsw

the highest average win tote pools for the nz trots was 1) wednesday/addington 6104....  2) thursday /cambridge 6019....  3)friday/addington 5196.... 4)sunday/ashburton 2209.... 5) saturday/winton 2042

as to trifectas  1)thursday/cambridge 2031....2) wednesday/addington 1774....3)friday/addington 1767....4)saturday/winton 1096 ....sunday/ashburton/722....

so you can see the best performing days on the aussie tabcorp tote for nz harness are the wednesdays and the thursdays. 

wednesday addington average stakes are amongst the lowest yet perform the best .

Its obvious races with greater sky racing exposure and lead in times will get the best turnovers in aussie.. Saturdays and sundays will not get the necessary exposure so perform the worst.

the ff pools for tabcorp are not displayed on their website.

The nz tab/entain pools are obviously the most important part of the equation,but the aussie pools still  significant in the big picture.

Really you would think if nz harness is to survive they should be looking at running their meeting at times and on days where they will generate the most turnover. Just common sense.

theres different factors that come into play as regards generating turnover in my opinion but best not to complicate the subject too much and thats why i have stuck with just giving the above figures.

tonights turnovers down quite a bit with tabcorp from previous weeks.

win pool just averaging well under half of what was normal. 2727.

i noticed the addington races were due to start mostly 2 minutes after an aussie gallops meeting was due to start,so you would assume the sky racing coverge would have been very limited pre race for addington.

There was the one race which had a 5 minute gap lead in and it got 3 times the average win pool for tonight.

the average nz tote win pool was just 5810 for the 7 races with the highest pool being the same race that was highest for tabcorp.

Edited by the galah

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, the galah said:

tonights turnovers down quite a bit with tabcorp from previous weeks.

win pool just averaging well under half of what was normal. 2727.

i noticed the addington races were due to start mostly 2 minutes after an aussie gallops meeting was due to start,so you would assume the sky racing coverge would have been very limited pre race for addington.

There was the one race which had a 5 minute gap lead in and it got 3 times the average win pool for tonight.

the average nz tote win pool was just 5810 for the 7 races with the highest pool being the same race that was highest for tabcorp.

I agree with you nowornever that the fields weren't attractive betting wise and  i found it hard to get enthusiastic given all the hot favorites who appeared most likely to win and did.they aren't my cup of tea.

Only 1 paid more than $2.70 to win.

i often think some of those hot favorites start well under the realistic prices,but they seem to win so punters and the bookies seem to know what they are doing.

Nowornever obviously one of the early ones to get on george elliot at a reasonable price,but that didn't last long and besides I had thought natives inferno would be the one and put a bit more on when he went away so well the first time in the false start,but he must have known and galloped in the restart. 

Edited by the galah

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

Brodie did you get on George Elliot.  Biggest certainty of the year with John Morrison driving. Previous form with Trevor driving unlucky, unlucky, unlucky, three wide and parked, unlucky, unlucky.

trevor grant currently suspended until the 2nd of june.

Another one of those penalties thats inconsistent as regards how they have calculated which days are included.

Trevor grant got an 8 day suspension .

He only drives the one horse.

his suspension is calculated to include 8 meetings within 3 weeks.Would george elliott be likely to race 8 times in 3 weeks?

in my opinion i think the suspension is ok,just inconsistent . They need to at least treat everyone the same who doesn't drive that often.

Edited by the galah

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

Na didnt back anything.

Liked 2 both got in and both driven by Kyle C.

The fields were not great with so few starters and generally odds too short!

Looked at one race and the place pool for tote for all of NZ was less than Brodie will offload on a race fixed!!

George Elliot was a cert on paper with Trevor not in the cart!

Edited by Brodie

• 2 weeks later...

In the trail behind the driver on the leader being well known as a very good front running driver. Takes the lead. Dominates them.

Spot the difference.

Just saying.

Aside from that. The Brett Gray stable is firing on all cylinders.  

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=82B6209B-3705-4593-83CA-64CAF592AFBE&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

• Like 1