Bit Of A Yarn

Wingatui on Sunday

Murray Fish

Wingatui on Sunday,  stakes are 17000 , way different fields that the previous meeting with its 32K races

This time 7 races, was going to be 8...  6 in the Open, 2 rated above 67.  then   8 / 6 / 8 / 10 / 11 / 10 = 59 starters 

19 jockeys riding, 2 female, 17 male

6 apt 13 senior riders

No North Island

1 has 1 ride

8 have 2 rides

5 have 3 rides

2 have 4 rides

2 have 5 rides

1 has 7 rides

49 minutes ago, Doomed said:

What exactly is your point?

two things.... one was thinking about Chiefs comment recently about the fields not being to different re stakes,  going by the last couple at Wingatui they suggest other wise... the other was the lack of horses running around down this way... re the jockeys, reflecting on how it would be hard to pay off a mortgage for many..

3 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

two things.... one was thinking about Chiefs comment recently about the fields not being to different re stakes,  going by the last couple at Wingatui they suggest other wise... the other was the lack of horses running around down this way... re the jockeys, reflecting on how it would be hard to pay off a mortgage for many..

It's the middle of winter down south and there never used at be racing at this time of year at Wingatui. This is just an attempt to show Wingatui is an essential track and Oamaru and Timaru aren't really needed.

I think the Chiefs comments re stakes are largely proven correct judging by today at Otaki and tomorrow at HB.

The only good thing about Sunday is the southern jockeys getting a go without 7 or 8 northerners heading down to take all the best mounts. I think it's crazy the country's top jockeys flying all that way at massive cost to ride in $17,000 races.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Doomed said:

The only good thing about Sunday is the southern jockeys getting a go without 7 or 8 northerners heading down to take all the best mounts. I think it's crazy the country's top jockeys flying all that way at massive cost to ride in $17,000 races.

They get full books and obviously think the travel time and costs are worth it when they'd otherwise be sitting at home.

Edited by curious

10 hours ago, Doomed said:

It's the middle of winter down south and there never used at be racing at this time of year at Wingatui. This is just an attempt to show Wingatui is an essential track and Oamaru and Timaru aren't really needed.

I think the Chiefs comments re stakes are largely proven correct judging by today at Otaki and tomorrow at HB.

Yes.      Easter [ Riverton ] used to be the last meeting in Southland, and Queen's [ King's ] birthday the last Dunedin meeting.  Oamaru kicked in for Otago after that with a couple more esp with their excellent steeplechase course.

Even allowing for changing weather patterns there wasn't much wrong with those arrangements.   Even the locals were muttering about the very heavy ground at the last two meetings down south.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, curious said:

They get full books and obviously think the travel time and costs are worth it when they'd otherwise be sitting at home.

Can't comment about all the northern jocks, but Ashvin G does get his travel covered when T.A has runners south.  And he does his share of stable work too, when here, so fair play to him IMO.

The Parsons' would contribute to costs, as does Terri Rae and probably Marsh too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Doomed said:

my stats re the last two meetings suggest Not down this way...   as show by the Big Cant Stables not being on course :)

re the jockeys, 8 with two rides! hope they car pooled! and didn't give up other wages to attend!

On 28/06/2024 at 2:54 PM, Doomed said:

What exactly is your point?

@TAB For Ever <-- I'm trying to be positive, can you ride shot gun for me?

@Doomed three more points.

1: Speaking as a Photographer,  meetings like this can sometimes be a challenge, You do know that they(P's) turn up on the day, often having travelled from distance, never knowing, if they will make a Sale,.. some meetings like this, All the horse might be owned by people that would Never buy when/if their horse wins, Talking the likes of say the Big 4 stables (in SI) etc...  of course, a horse might finally win that Maiden race at its 50th try and the 20 owners all buy one!! :)
Personally, that doesn't effect me, as I don't need to make any sales, but with on 7 races and less that 60 horses then I don't get to 'take' that many shots to add to the 100,000's of racing shots in our photo library.    At the last meeting there, 10 races  'we' (Ms if in the mood takes some as well) took 1000 plus shots...  For the record, I posted up 50 plus (gave away) photos via my Facebook acc,  and a few in CWJ page and a couple of other Groups,  those photos generated 10000+ Views etc...  

2: Speaking as a punter,  lol, a meeting like this is about 387,900 miles from ones I like to bet into... having said that! there will be a nice bundle of 'fifty$' in the back kick should I take a Fancy...

3:  I am actually take a friend out, a interesting fella is he!  early 30's, Never been on a race track in his life.  lol,  the fact that he was born and raised  (in Privilege) in Istanbul might have something to do with that!, I don't know much about racing in Turkey!   English is his 4th language, one he has a PhD in!    I was hoping that there might be a bit of crowd and a bit of atmosphere, guess I might have to try and generate some of that sort of stuff  myself!!!

3.1:  could you point me in the direction of a winner, or two?

39 minutes ago, Freda said:

Atmosphere, crowd, at Wingatui in June?     Optimistic to say the least!  The poor guy will no doubt struggle to see any point in the exercise!

lol, for me! I be like that 7 year old awaiting the opening of me chrissy presents! Knowing I should be getting something!   Even after being 'on course' for many 1000's of previous meetings! each new one still gets me excited!!!  I'm sure I would get on well with the likes of Forrest Gump! :)

For the other fella,  I am keen to see his take on being there!  whatever that may be! :) I do know that our self-catering means at least the food is going to be great! :)

• Like 1

40 minute intervals for some races, that's dragging it out but TV dictates the terms. 

Not many runners but good pickings for those prepared to keep going, with 7 races this could almost be classed a mini meeting, sometimes these might be just the thing needed to keep some continuity, there are a few situations where there are no southern races for almost 3 weeks through the season, that's quite a gap.

I note a comment from Kelvin Tyler about Oamaru racing 2 days before Riccarton as being dumb, next year Oamaru moves forward to Sunday, maybe the powers that be got the idea off here or maybe not.

• Like 1

a busy day had by me! phew!  by chance it was my first day back with camera from a sort of retirement!   happy to report from that point of view it went well.  spoke to over 50% of people on course! I recon, it was nice to catch up with various members of 'the jockeys colony', a mixed bag of shapes and sizes and nationality's are they. will be putting photos up on my fb account, and find a suitable one for posting here. Did anyone have a interest horse wise? if I happen to have taken a photo! happy to gift it to ya!