NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Forbury Park- Local Trainers

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Since the closure of Forbury, how many trainers in the Dunedin area have given up training? 
Really sad Forbury closed

Wouldnt think there would be any trainers left training  in Dunedin.

Waikouaiti on the beach like Amber Hoffman would be the closest to Dunedin.

Yes Forbury closing  was a shame for harness racing in the South.

Provided some real good racing for many decades.

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Wouldnt think there would be any trainers left training  in Dunedin.

Waikouaiti on the beach like Amber Hoffman would be the closest to Dunedin.

Yes Forbury closing  was a shame for harness racing in the South.

Provided some real good racing for many decades.

Yes, agree. 

I am trying to find out who the local harness trainers were, those that are still training and those that have tossed the game in. Ta

I would be keen to knowt what HRNZ are doing with the funds from the sale of Forbury, hopefully they ain't going to squander it lifting Auckland out of the hole it's created, it just seemed last weeks announcements didn't seem to include the south in any way.

Anyway going to watch second half of Euro semi, not sure who I  want to win, Netherlands knock out England or Spain, kick England's arse in final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

I would be keen to knowt what HRNZ are doing with the funds from the sale of Forbury, hopefully they ain't going to squander it lifting Auckland out of the hole it's created, it just seemed last weeks announcements didn't seem to include the south in any way.

Anyway going to watch second half of Euro semi, not sure who I  want to win, Netherlands knock out England or Spain, kick England's arse in final.

Great to see extra money going into stakes, but it is only the money that Entain said they would to  get McAnulty to give Entain the TAB for 25 Years!

Entain may appear to be the White Knight for racing but they are not!

They have racing people sucked in at the moment with their media promotion but unfortunately it is not going to continue with the stakes as high as they are.

They dont care that they are wasting money putting it into North Island racing, they will say that they tried and didnt work out!

They only want control of the Sports wagering that is where they see their profits, not racing!

They have it all planned out, these gambling agencies are ruthless!

Use to be a guy Ashton who apparently lived at Portobello, seems to have gone, he used to clock up some miles,actually don't think any trainers in Dunedin but still one or two in surrounding area, Graeme Andersons name crops up at Wyndham workouts often.seems a wee way to go from Brighton, but it is what it is.

You would imagine a few owned by people in Dunedin, trained elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Craig Buchan & Graeme McLay

McLay hasnt had a runner since 2018!
Craig Buchan trains out at Mosgiel which is outside Dunedin about 14k from Forbury and doesnt line many up nowadays.

the only one is Probably the duel gaited Top Pocket Chance, he would be getting on a bit lol

42 minutes ago, Brodie said:

McLay hasnt had a runner since 2018!
Craig Buchan trains out at Mosgiel which is outside Dunedin about 14k from Forbury and doesnt line many up nowadays.

the only one is Probably the duel gaited Top Pocket Chance, he would be getting on a bit lol

French Lord was handy.

11 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

French Lord was handy.

Graeme Mclay recently qualified one recently.Other Forbury trainers to have finished, Eian Lamb,Kerry Dance,Kevin Court, Ray Hanson ,Bob Straight, Darryl Trainor to name a few

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wobbler said:

Graeme Mclay recently qualified one recently.Other Forbury trainers to have finished, Eian Lamb,Kerry Dance,Kevin Court, Ray Hanson ,Bob Straight, Darryl Trainor to name a few

Kevin Court had some beauties.

Seafield Inca

Tuapeka Knight

Cullen Who

Borderline

Smokin Bird

Watch Me Fella

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

was handy.

Think this one from the area. maybe done a fair few laps of Forbury.

Set some track records on his day.

C'mon Ranga , try and get this one. Driver , horse , Dunedin Trainer I think ? 

give ya a clue. driver has won a few NZ Cups . 🤣🇳🇿🏆😁 but not with this horse.

DSC03260.JPG

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Wasn't there a guy Campbell who trained out of Forbury for a while?

Maybe that's him in the photo, I'm trying to rack my brain as to who that is.

Stu Campbell.

Looks like he has given it away as he is not currently licensed and hasnt lined one up for nearly 10 years.

There is no one really in Dunedin training now.

The late Ali Malcomson used to train  at Tomahawk Beach in Dunedin.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Wasn't there a guy Campbell who trained out of Forbury for a while?

Maybe that's him in the photo

Spot on Mikey . you and Brodster doing well with that tough one.

Stewart Campbell training this horse to win 7 races ,( all in one season ) getting the great Ricky May driving for him. 

might have  Ranga stumped on naming Stu's horse ? victory could be mine at last 🏆 😎 with Ranga running at 100% to date naming them old stagers. bout time he was a 99 %er 😂   

DSC03261.JPG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Spot on Mikey . you and Brodster doing well with that tough one.

Stewart Campbell training this horse to win 7 races ,( all in one season ) getting the great Ricky May driving for him. 

might have  Ranga stumped on naming Stu's horse ? victory could be mine at last 🏆 😎 with Ranga running at 100% to date naming them old stagers. bout time he was a 99 %er 😂   

DSC03261.JPG

Strange as it was the braces on the driver's colours that got me thinking, I'm pretty sure Campbell's colours were cerise and something, maybe brown braces, I think Campbells had a hardware shop in South Dunedin, I stand to be corrected though, if he was one of that tribe.

As for the horse, can't remember, easy I guess to Google but by googling everything we have lost the ability to think, we have heard of a thing called artificial intelligence,  and that's what using a computer for everything is, we have been duped by technology.

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

Strange as it was the braces on the driver's colours that got me thinking, I'm pretty sure Campbell's colours were cerise and something, maybe brown braces, I think Campbells had a hardware shop in South Dunedin, I stand to be corrected though, if he was one of that tribe.

As for the horse, can't remember, easy I guess to Google but by googling everything we have lost the ability to think, we have heard of a thing called artificial intelligence,  and that's what using a computer for everything is, we have been duped by technology.

Eion Latimer another who trained there now training at Oamaru 

• Like 1

Stu Campbell had a useful trotter called Daisy Belle who won 8 races and often raced off backmarks in Southern races.

She raced in the early to mid 2000's.

His best years as a trainer were in the 1990's.

In the late 1970's and early 80's Stu was a lock for Green Island Rugby when they had a good team with a few All Blacks...Jaffrays[ x 2] and Brian McKechnie.I recent years they have had Ben Smith.

• Like 1

Dunedin trainers or Trainers close to Forbury Park would be one of the smallest books printed.

No mention above of Alan Clark [ The Fiery Ginga] who must have won over 50 races from Dunedin area .A lot of small time dabblers over the years.I see Eian Lamb mentioned ,who could forget the tiny Pat The  Monkey. Other names from my memory from decades ago would be DSimpson, Hansen, KRobertson, Bill Cadogan[Mosgiel] and Viv Anngow [Car Dealer] and George Mills [ Butcher] .One of first females Letty Ferguson ,Paterson [Mosgiel] who trained his pacer Forest Gratten around the streets. 

Then the dude that trained good horse Meadowbank.Out at Wingatui Syd Brown from a galloping family had his own track and trained a few before sending his good ones to Tim Butt[ Foreal, Field Marshall]. He had a recent winner with Tony Herlihy ,Skipper.

Shame the city of Dunedin and the Harness folk there let the Sport disappear.There were always horses trained nearby at Palmerston, Waikouaiti, Lawrence, Balclutha  etc

More memory bubbling to the surface...

Meadowbanks trainer Gordon Morrison 

Stu Campbell scored several wins with Tricky Michelle and trained a usefil trotter Francis JayBee after Phil Williamson.

Other trainers...Wayne Ferguson [Son of Letty], AGeorgeson ,RWilkie, AClyma, Harley, Fergus Mathieson, ACayford,BO'Connor 

A lot of hobby trainers !

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Viewfield Duke was a handy enough pacer for Stuey.

Yep .you are on the money . Ranga ''short changed' this time 😁.

Viewfield Duke winning the Waimate Cup sound 1993ish,  is the quiz horse photo's earlier in this thread. well done Blackie. 

Ross Payne trained on the Taieri I think as a private trainer for some period of time, some guy set up a complex, what ever became of it is anyone's guess, there was a Smolenski on the Taeiri for a while too.

Forbury used to be a significant event in Dunedin, Cup class races in October, Festival meeting and some big meetings in April.

Then the Cup class horses stopped going, the Festival meeting ended up one night, latterly in February, then they started shifting to Thursdays, then the winter meetings, maybe more and more racedays  but lesser quality saw interest decline, interesting on their final night they got a good crowd turn up, maybe had they not taken things for granted and turned a bit more  then it might still be racing.

Getting back to overkill maybe those same decisions flooding the Northern region with more and more meetings might have them backtracking after a time, more and more isn't necessarily better.

Edited by mikeynz