NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Pukekohe Abandoned 17 July 2024 due to Broken Truck

27 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Don't you mean doesn't the Auckland Racing Club racing at Pukekohe have gates they can move from Ellerslie?

ATR has their own gates at Ellerslie.

ATR @ Pukekohe rely on the gates provided by Northern Raceday Sevices (based in Cambridge) that are transported to the likes of Tauranga, Matamata etc.

They have been specifically designed to be transported on the large trailer from NRS.

The Ellerslie gates could not be put onto a transporter without being over height or too long. They are a bank of 18 gates, where as the Northern Raceday Service gates are a set of 14

• Like 1

Just now, Bill said:

The Ellerslie gates could not be put onto a transporter without being over height or too long. They are a bank of 18 gates, where as the Northern Raceday Service gates are a set of 14

So what you are saying is the Ellerslie gates can only be used at Ellerslie.  Yet Auckland Thoroughbred Racing now runs the meetings at both tracks.

The nearest gates then are 120km away.

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So what you are saying is the Ellerslie gates can only be used at Ellerslie.  Yet Auckland Thoroughbred Racing now runs the meetings at both tracks.

The nearest gates then are 120km away.

Correct…set of 18 too large for the NRS trailer. And the axels on the transportable gates lower so they can be in the road. On hydraulics

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

Correct…set of 18 too large for the NRS trailer. And the axels on the transportable gates lower so they can be in the road. On hydraulics

Listening to the explanation on Trackside I got the impression that the trailer has a custom connection to the truck unit.  Assuming it was the truck unit that broke down and not the trailer what stops them from having a standard connection i.e. so any truck cab large enough can cart the tralier?

Who owns Northern Raceday Services?

• Like 1

I still don't understand how ATR can have their own gates at Ellerslie, spend 50mil on a track there, and not be able to afford a set of gates for Pukekohe where they now hold most of their meetings?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, curious said:

I still don't understand how ATR can have their own gates at Ellerslie, spend 50mil on a track there, and not be able to afford a set of gates for Pukekohe where they now hold most of their meetings?

Very good point.  Although ATR just spent approximately $44,000 on sand before transport and spreading.

And instead of abandoning, why did they not implement the flag start protocol as per the starters manual? That way, connections still get a crack at the stakes instead of a big bill for nought, jockeys their riding fees, punters a winner or two, attendees, something to watch, and the club and caterers some return for their efforts.

Edited by curious
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, curious said:

And instead of abandoning, why did they not implement the flag start protocol as per the starters manual? That way, connections still get a crack at the stakes instead of a big bill for nought, jockeys their riding fees, punters a winner or two, attendees, something to watch, and the club and caterers some return for their efforts.

That raises the point that if the gates broke down during a meeting would they abandon the meeting from that point on.

28 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

That raises the point that if the gates broke down during a meeting would they abandon the meeting from that point on.

Not at the CJC. They just carry on using the supposedly faulty gates.

Edited by curious
  • Haha 2

Pukekohe Now Sunday.

MEETING NEWS

Pukekohe Races Now Sunday

The ATR meeting at Pukekohe Park that was abandoned today (Wednesday) has been re-scheduled to Sunday 21 July.

All scratchings have been re-instated. NZTR are awaiting new race times to be confirmed by Entain.

2 hours ago, curious said:

Because before ATR it was Counties Racing Club.

They no doubt will probably find the $$ now so they dont have to hire NRS

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Because before ATR it was Counties Racing Club.

They no doubt will probably find the $$ now so they dont have to hire NRS

Good idea. I thought ATR came into being in 2021. Just now deciding to buy gates for Pukekohe when that is where they have held most of their racing seems a bit belated. Better late than never I guess.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Pukekohe Now Sunday.

MEETING NEWS

Pukekohe Races Now Sunday

The ATR meeting at Pukekohe Park that was abandoned today (Wednesday) has been re-scheduled to Sunday 21 July.

All scratchings have been re-instated. NZTR are awaiting new race times to be confirmed by Entain.

Against Oamaru with its feature level stakes....and now creating a rider availability issue.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Freda said:

Against Oamaru with its feature level stakes....and now creating a rider availability issue.

Yeahh that doesn't make a lot of sense with the likes of Kennedy and Parmar already committed at Oamaru.

Edited by curious

1 hour ago, curious said:

Good idea. I thought ATR came into being in 2021. Just now deciding to buy gates for Pukekohe when that is where they have held most of their racing seems a bit belated. Better late than never I guess.

Does ATR need Pukekohe now?  Only need it when they need to renovate the Ellerslie Track!

4 minutes ago, curious said:

Aren't they still doing that?

Apparently "Warren and Craig are happy now"...  Having ridden around on the inside of the track under non-race conditions.  Actually I wonder if they went 3 to 5 wide at full noise where the problems are?

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Apparently "Warren and Craig are happy now"...  Having ridden around on the inside of the track under non-race conditions.  Actually I wonder if they went 3 to 5 wide at full noise where the problems are?

If they think they are going to race on it this year, at a minimum they have to test it with some serious gallops under similar conditions to those where the problems occurred. Half  a dozen gallops at 3/4 pace aren't a hell of a lot of use imo.