Bit Of A Yarn

Is Trentham now really short of cash?

Chief Stipe

Plan to build 850 apartments on Trentham racecourse scratched

Nicholas Boyack
Nicholas Boyack

9Tzi8ywRz924XE3uHaD6DZ3Ef+IdbOiYlvIROR5v

0:57
Historic Trentham grandstand is being demolished.
VIDEO CREDIT: JUAN ZARAMA

A bold plan to build 850 apartments on the Trentham Racecourse has been put on hold.

It’s the second major Upper Hutt housing project to suffer a setback in recent weeks, after the Upper Hutt City Council knocked back a plan change that would have potentially opened up land on the hills behind Silverstream.

The two projects would have potentially resulted in more than 2300 new homes in Upper Hutt.

Malcolm Gillies, the developer behind the Trentham project – which also included retail, hospitality and facilities for the racing club – said that in the current market the development did not stack up.

In August 2023, Mayor Wayne Guppy said the Gillies project would “future proof” the racing club and be a major boost to the Wellington economy, saying he hoped to see shovels in the ground in three years.

The project, which received $12.4 million from the Infrastructure Acceleration Fund, did not have resource consent. Gillies said he still believed the site had potential but with interest rates high and business confidence low, there was no money to be made.

“We are in a different market now, times are tough, and everything is now on hold.”

The club is currently demolishing the main grandstand, which was classified as earthquake prone.

Malcolm Gillies had bold plans for the Trentham Racecourse.SUPPLIED
ADVERTISEMENT

Guppy, who is the president of the racing club, said he had not spoken to Gillies but remained optimistic that a development would still go ahead, even if that was “plan B or C”.

Guppy said the racing club neededfacilities to continue to operate and he was confident that something would go on the site.

The main grandstand at the Trentham racecourse is being demolished.JUAN ZARAMA PERINI / THE POST

The club had no choice but to demolish the grandstand, as it was only 8-12% of the New Building Standard and riddled with asbestos. It was an impressive structure with an interesting background but the racing club really only had one option, Guppy said.

“The choices were minimal. The fact of the matter is no one wanted to bring it down.”

Racing Trentham chief executive Tim Savell said his short-term focus was getting the grandstand down and preparing the site for Wellington Cup day in January.

The demolition was going well and in the long term he remained confident the site would be developed.

Racing Trentham chief executive Tim Savell says the main grandstand was earthquake prone and had to come down.JUAN ZARAMA PERINI / THE POST

Trentham had a good relationship with Gillies, and his company was still the preferred developer.

He agreed with Guppy that a way forward would be found. “There are definitely irons in the fire.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Previous plans for demolishing the grandstand and developing the site would have required the course to have closed, Savell said.

“Doing it this way, we can keep the Wellington Cup here now. We were going to relocate for a couple of years to Palmerston North.”

Demolition is expected to be finished by December.JUAN ZARAMA PERINI / THE POST

Savell said the original plan had involved Kainga Ora but with the government housing agency withdrawing from many projects, that may have also influenced Gillies’ decision not to proceed.

In 2023, Race Trentham said the five to 10-year plan was to “transform the venue into one of the world’s premier racecourses”.

A delegation that included architects, developers and racing personnel had toured five Australian racecourses, to gain insights to assist with the planning and delivery of the project.

“The basis of the redevelopment is new race day hospitality and operational areas, along with 850 apartments and purpose-built commercial spaces, along with a hotel and associated facilities.”

The grandstand was only 8-12% of the New Building Standard.JUAN ZARAMA PERINI / THE POST

Gillies hoped the Trentham development would one day proceed but in the current climate, with house prices falling, it was not feasible. A recent development, Back Straight, launched on land next to the racecourse was a tough sell and making money from such developments in the current market was not easy.

I have been privileged to have travelled widely! never for me were the so call Great Church's of  the World! No for me, it was (and still is) the Great Sports and Racing Stands!!!! I would visit them be the Full or empty! The come and go. Sadly on of NZ Best, RIP

sigh,  the once Great, as the sun sinks into the....image.png.07332f676f1e5be836dcb3763ead0300.png

actually! might just be storm clouds on the horizon!

• Like 1

Shame to see another iconic stand bite the dust, who will be next one must wonder, the ole earthquake strengthening chesnut will see a few more no doubt, I just wonder what the odds are of an earthquake event coinciding with a day out at the races, when they dont race week in week out, fairly long one would imagine, but rules are rules these days and must be adhered to I guess.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2024 at 6:31 PM, Huey said:

Best track in the country on borrowed time an insult to the once great sport which is now nothing more than a circus. 

The club, the track, the history... 

Hard not to be a tad melancholy!

That of course is qucikly negated by the 'real politics' on the Industry! 

The Elitisms! so shown historically by the building of the stand coming down!

Public very much Over there! the further the better!  Not one great stand like a proper race course stand! 

As ever, I still be hoping for a decent track for their upcoming Groups Races! Still a track I will attempt to bet if the track is playing OK.

9 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

The club, the track, the history... 

Hard not to be a tad melancholy!

That of course is qucikly negated by the 'real politics' on the Industry! 

The Elitisms! so shown historically by the building of the stand coming down!

Public very much Over there! the further the better!  Not one great stand like a proper race course stand! 

As ever, I still be hoping for a decent track for their upcoming Groups Races! Still a track I will attempt to bet if the track is playing OK.

The Oaks will never be the same without Trentham!

Ellerslie Oaks, Te Aroha even..??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Huey said:

The Oaks will never be the same without Trentham!

I feel ya re the Oaks!  I still feel the excitement of getting to seethe good fillies each new season, starting out their 3 yr old years!  Was there one in the CD that starts of slow and has the ability to mature and stay!

Though personally, it  would be all the Black Type 1600/Miles, be the for the colts or fillies or open or wfa, spring, summer or winter!

The Telegraph would get a few honorable mentions!

The old 3 day Winter meetings had their own logic and sorted out the real form re ND/CD/South...

nek minute!