Bit Of A Yarn

MARLBOROUGH, RACE 1, KIWI SEED TROT

Poor fields at Waterlea Racecourse on Friday. The worst field of all would have to be Race 1, Kiwi Seed Trot. This race has seven, I repeat SEVEN, horses on unruly. In a 14 horse field half of them are unruly. This is flaming ridiculous. I have been following harness for over four decades and I cannot recall ever seeing a race with that many unruly horses. This race is crying out to be a P. Lamb special. The commentators is going to need an extra-strong pair of binoculars for this race because the field will be stretched out over hundreds of metres. The stewards' report on that race will make excellent reading. Talk about an accident waiting to happen, tune into the Kiwi Seed Trot for the spectacle of the year.

14 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Poor fields at Waterlea Racecourse on Friday. The worst field of all would have to be Race 1, Kiwi Seed Trot. This race has seven, I repeat SEVEN, horses on unruly. In a 14 horse field half of them are unruly. This is flaming ridiculous. I have been following harness for over four decades and I cannot recall ever seeing a race with that many unruly horses. This race is crying out to be a P. Lamb special. The commentators is going to need an extra-strong pair of binoculars for this race because the field will be stretched out over hundreds of metres. The stewards' report on that race will make excellent reading. Talk about an accident waiting to happen, tune into the Kiwi Seed Trot for the spectacle of the year.

Poor fields? You must be a grass track racing hater. Those fields by far exceed those offered up at Nelson last week. Even racing on a big grass track is always a good day of entertainment and punting possibilities. 

As for the maiden trot, that's unlucky there are seven unruly starters - shame on the trainers and drivers for trying to give the horse, the owners and the punter the best possible opportunity to get away on even terms with the rest of the field. 

Helga's Monarch will go close to winning if it trots the entire. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

9 hours ago, Counter Punch said:

Poor fields? You must be a grass track racing hater. Those fields by far exceed those offered up at Nelson last week. Even racing on a big grass track is always a good day of entertainment and punting possibilities. 

As for the maiden trot, that's unlucky there are seven unruly starters - shame on the trainers and drivers for trying to give the horse, the owners and the punter the best possible opportunity to get away on even terms with the rest of the field. 

Helga's Monarch will go close to winning if it trots the entire. 

Agree the fields are better than Nelson but that is probably because not as far to travel as Nelson and better stakes?

Methven the only grass track for me. The rest are mediocre to poor.

Perhaps the trainers could give the owners and punters "the best possible opportunity" by actually training the horse to trot all the way, step the mark and race kindly. P. Lamb is also a worry with so many unruly beasts to keep an eye on. He cannot get a field away as it is without seven unruly donkeys causing a fuss at start. How many false starts will there be?

Helga's form seems to have tapered off... first two starts on coast not bad... downhill from there.

The Stewards report from Kiwiseed Trot. As I predicted the race was a shambles with 10 of the 14 horse field breaking either at the start or during the running or both. Our old friend Gotta Ticket received another warning about his barrier manners. This horse received a warning four starts back and had to trial once. It trialled at Richmond in two horse field in a mile rate slower than a pregnant lame Clydesdale could do and was cleared to race. Since then it has galloped at the start three times but still only receives another warning. With weak penalties like this there is no incentive for the trainer to try and improve the horses' barrier manners. 

Will the maiden trotters perform any better on Sunday?

Race 1 KIWISEED TROTVideo  Video 
PHOEBE ONYX - held up for clear racing room in the early and middle stages of the run home.
PASTRANA - broke near the 550 metres when racing over the crossing.
CALL ME TROUBLE - broke at the start.
STEEL LEGEND - broke at the start. Authorisation of 3rd placing was withheld until Stewards were satisfied the gelding had complied with the Breaking Horse Regulations in the early stages.
MUCHACHA BONITA - broke near the 2150 metres when racing over the crossing.
THIS WAY COMES - slow to begin. Shifted inwards in the early stages to avoid a breaking runner. Broke near the 2150 metres when racing over the crossing.
CHAMPAGNE PRINCE - fractious prior to the start. Broke near the 550 metres when racing over the crossing.
MAKE MY SUNDON - broke near the 300 metres. A final warning was placed on the racing record of the filly.
PALISADE - broke shortly after the start after being crowded for racing room. Broke again near the 400 metres.
HELGA'S MONARCH - trotted roughly near the 1200 metres and had to be steadied.
BREAK FREE - fractious prior to the start. Slow in the early stages. Broke briefly near the 500 metres.
GOTTA TICKET - broke shortly after the start. A warning was placed on the barrier record of the gelding. Broke near the 550 metres when racing over the crossing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Very weak, I think gotta ticket even beat it home!

I didn't back it today as I thought the crossing and track would get him again.

He went awful. Might be dehydrated or got a cold. All the stuff you read after the race in the stipes report.

Even if leading is not his go, he got a trail and then started to fade miles out. Most uncharacteristic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I didn't back it today as I thought the crossing and track would get him again.

He went awful. Might be dehydrated or got a cold. All the stuff you read after the race in the stipes report.

Even if leading is not his go, he got a trail and then started to fade miles out. Most uncharacteristic.

Got to be more to it alright happy run was too bad ,it does have some ability