Bit Of A Yarn

Otaki Track

jess

From the Stipes' Report:

"Track downgraded to Slow (8) retrospective to Race 1."

Why a reading taken after Race 1 - and then a retrospective, downgraded track rating applied? (when no rain fell from prior to Race 1).  Why was the track rating obtained around 6.30am relied upon up until that point?

My questions are genuinely put.  It strikes me as a strange way to do things - and maybe disingenuous.  But I'd love someone to post some rationale to ease my mind & convince me otherwise ...    

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jess said:

From the Stipes' Report:

Why a reading taken after Race 1 - and then a retrospective, downgraded track rating applied? (when no rain fell from prior to Race 1).  Why was the track rating obtained around 6.30am relied upon up until that point?

My questions are genuinely put.  It strikes me as a strange way to do things - and maybe disingenuous.  But I'd love someone to post some rationale to ease my mind & convince me otherwise ...    

seems a fair questin and nicely put.  Unlike the version from the gutter mouthed village idiot on the other channel.

A comment - and not a criticism of Otaki in general - while I am a staunch supporter of one-day country clubs, with the vista of rural NZ often showing in the background....snow-capped mountains, sheep peacefully grazing...such views add to the appeal of country racing,  IMO.

But a tatty wire fence and a weedy paddock isn't the appropriate background for a Grp 1.....also,  JMO.

Edited by Freda

13 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

Sadly Otaki Maori have chosen to go alone. They were not a good member of the original Wellington Cluster or RACE, (pulled out of RACE) so all decisions are their’s and their’s alone. 

Why would pulling out of Race be bad? Race was a bloody disaster and they are still suffering from the poor decisions of people like Fokerd and Co.

Tauherenikau has gone alone and they are thriving.

I have some sympathy for the caretaker.  They had nearly 25mls of rain on the Thursday and Friday prior to raceday.  The 8mls the caretaker put on wouldn't have made a hell of a lot of difference.

They hadn't had any significant rain in the previous 3 weeks.  Imagine the uproar if the 18mls they got on the Friday was only enough to wet the surface and the races were called off after Race 1 because a horse slipped.

All comes back to soil structure.  If it's stuffed then you don't have any buffer either way.  The 8mls probably helped rather than hindered.

I don't think any of our tracks could take an inch of rain in the 24 hours prior to raceday without a downgrade.

I agree Freda with regard to the dirty paddock and rough fence.  Surely there are still some farmers on the committee that take pride in the appearance of yards and paddocks.

1 hour ago, Bloke said:

Why would pulling out of Race be bad? Race was a bloody disaster and they are still suffering from the poor decisions of people like Fokerd and Co.

Tauherenikau has gone alone and they are thriving.

Exactly Bloke and the woeful decisions of RACE are still haunting them.  Only escaped 5 minutes ago.  Dark Beau is an eejit

On 24/02/2019 at 1:56 PM, jess said:

From the Stipes' Report:

There was no new reading taken after the first Jess....

Stipes always consult with the Jockeys after the first and they've assessed it at that new Rating as having run on that 8 rating

Obviously they've got the new reading wrong..'new' because they're now using a new contraption called the 'going stick'...which not only takes a depth 'pen reading' but also a 'shear' one...which is supposed to mirror a horse's action into the turf...

...maybe they're still trying to calibrate the readings...as they have previously with the penetrometer...

Stipe Coles said of Matamata..."Its a 6...but with this wind I'd expect it to go back to a 5 sometime"

Changed to 7 straight after the first and stayed that way all day!

Thats why Punters need to have the entire pen readings...30 odd readings in total...

...and let them decide where the best ground is...just as Allpress does with her walk each race day...

• Champ Post 1