Bit Of A Yarn

Foals from New Sires

As in all years - spring 2017 saw first-crop foals born in NZ from new sires like Vespa, The Bold One, Complacent, Contributer and several more.

I would love to hear accounts and initial impressions of the new stock from `yarners.  Or better still - photos!  (if anyone needs help posting those I'm sure the Chief will be able to guide you).

In some cases it's possible to spot a few photos on the internet but I haven't heard much about The Bold One's progeny in particular - and the stud's website is not very comprehensive / informative either.   

Really hoping BOAY becomes a busy place for breeding buffs and amateurs like me to get together and share our experiences.  Slow here so far on the breeding forum but I am prepared to be patient!  Looking forward to lots of interesting posts & heavier traffic here in the near future!

Would also love to think with a passionate but respectful group of members - BOAY may even be able to attract some of the studs to post under their own identities - without fear of unreasonable attack or unfair treatment.

I recall seeing Letham TBs post under their own name on another site and really appreciating that refreshingly open attitude and the fact they were prepared to join the masses on a discussion forum.  

All the best, J 

Edited by jess
  • Champ Post 1

Missed the christchurch sales after going the last two years, would have like to see some of the atlante's stock, and a few others, its always interesting to go to see these sales, and see the stock sold, and then see them at the races, did see the raise the flag horse sold at the first sale, name civil disobedience done well on the track in Australia, and zacinto horse thats won its first two starts lately..The poor breeders are battling, i remember my uncle had a saying.Wise men ride them, fools breed them, have never forgotten it. Having a wee interest in a broodmare that has a filly by duelled, that did have some issues when foaling, i can see him smiling from above.Must admit to enjoying the breeding and researching the lineage of some lines.

• Like 2

I never met your Uncle, Shad but I can nevertheless hear his words echoing in my head as I continue to battle to breed a champ!  Not there yet & hv had my heart (and bank balance) broken a few times now so I'm obviously a slow learner!

Agree about the sales - always interesting to mark down what you liked and see what becomes of them.

A couple that come to mind that I saw up close are one at national weanling sales some years ago and one at a stud yearling parade.

First was a weanling by Kings Chapel that I just really took to when I was up at Karaka working with some weanlings for an owner. Just kept thinking what a nice animal he was.  Was out of Dorrington - came to be known as the grand SI campaigner King Montrose.  So sad for his owners to lose him they way they did.   

The other was a filly out of the grand mare Tall Poppy - by Pins.  Something about that yearling made her my favorite out of the stud's (Fairdale) draft that year.  "All in Vogue" has gone on to furnish a fine career on the track & has every chance of proving a fabulous broodmare in time.

Not saying I have any special talent for picking them, but some just make an impression on you as youngsters and stick in your mind ...

Cheers, J 

Well jess, you may just have that eye for a nice horse, good on you for following your dream of breeding a nice one, and the satisfaction when you achieve that, my late uncle had a few interesting sayings, a few more spring to mind, about horses, easily to get hold of, hard to get rid of, if your going to ruin a racehorse, you may as well do it to your own specifications, a fool and there money are easily parted. He battled away with a few, had a nice mare by grey gull, we thought, work and trial like a very good horse, unbeaten in her trials, but alas race day didn't want to be their, won a race with her, went to stud and got injured and passed on, when he did get a promising one he broke down, certainly gave me as a young boy, a lesson in just how tough the game is, im under no illusions just how hard it is, in my wee foray in the breeding and racing, if we are lucky enough to get one there, nothing is a given in this game, thats for sure.Good luck with your team, and we will keep the breeding thread ticking over.

Now we're talking! A sight for sore eyes on a Friday morning. What a beautiful looking filly Beau. If she's yours you must be pretty happy so far. Thanks for posting  - would love to see some more newbies..   keep em coming ....

14 hours ago, jess said:

Now we're talking! A sight for sore eyes on a Friday morning. What a beautiful looking filly Beau. If she's yours you must be pretty happy so far. Thanks for posting  - would love to see some more newbies..   keep em coming ....

Thanks Jess, I think that she is exquisite too.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the stock of Complacent at the recent sales, I think he has thrown athletic types with a bit of leg under them, they look a durable breed to me.

Contributor really appears to have stamped his stock they are very much in the mold of him, however looking at some of their reserves they seemed like they were only there for the experience.

Although not a 1st Season Sire some of the stock of Sacred Falls were really impressive types, I really liked Lot 221 a Hallowed Crown filly and I'll watch her progress with interest.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/02/2019 at 9:47 PM, Weasel said:

they look good to my amateur eyes too... i see this one, ex Starring was Psd In ..hope you did a deal afterwards Beau!

Not yet!  Shows you how hopeless the market is at the moment because she is a very correct, athlete filly, well grown too for her age - 7 Nov foal. 

Now hoping to lease her, taking in some partners etc. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/02/2019 at 10:36 AM, Dark Beau said:

Not yet!  Shows you how hopeless the market is at the moment because she is a very correct, athlete filly, well grown too for her age - 7 Nov foal. 

Now hoping to lease her, taking in some partners etc. 

Update

I have just learned that the mating (Saddlers Wells line stallion over a Stravinsky mare) is A+. 

Of the 160 foals bred this way, 10% of all runners become SW. Even better still, 16% of the race winners bred that way become SW. 

The filly broke in beautifully and has now gone down to Matthew Eales, who absolutely loves her. 

If anyone is interested in being involved racing her,  and would like to talk to the breaker or Matthew, private message me for further information, costs, contact details etc. 

• 1 year later...

Just re-read the posts here.

Yes, he is certainly stepping up, that's for sure.  How did your nice filly fare in her career so far?

There are quite a few by Complacent at the track, but the only Contributer I have seen so far is Follow Your Dreams, down here at the beginning of the season with southern passport-holder Kenny Rae...[ ..!! we think of Kenny as a local ]

He is just such a gorgeous little guy,  fantastic temperament, attitude plus.   We were all hoping that he could perform well in the K.M,  but, not to be.   And to be fair, watching him in the parade [ albeit only on TV ]  he did look overshadowed by the sheer physique of some of the other runners.

Well Pam, as a trainer you know that it’s not all beer and skittles! All along Matthew has rated her but low and behold, a month or so ago she chipped a hind fetlock which has since been removed. (Cost $3797.00 plus the transport to Cambridge and back of approximately $800.00) then the box rest, small yard, and paddock, so Spring it will be before she is back at the trials! 😃

Oh dear....yes, I certainly do know the downs...far more of them than ups.!

To quote her Majesty [ with all due respect and apologies to that august lady for putting myself in the same sentence ]  this has been my 'annus horribilis' - the worst I can recall in 50 years involvement with racehorses.

Hopefully, the enforced rest will be to her benefit..you can tell yourself that, anyway!