Bit Of A Yarn

TAB Promotions

Mark D

So for a while now I have been willingly been taking part in TAB promotions like the Match 3 and "top up account with $20 and get $10 free" and while I would have much preferred a points rewards programme they've been OK.  But a few days ago I thought I'd won a $5 account deposit from playing their Match 3 promotion but I was told that it was now a bonus bet to be spent in one go - fixed odds only.  The same applies to make a single deposit of $30 or more (up from $20) and get a $20 Bonus Bet.

I am, to a large degree, a tote punter which is the type of betting which gives the TAB and industry the best return.  Except for the odd sports multi I don't take fixed odds.  I am also a punter who bets in small amounts but turns over multiple bets in a days betting (or I used to - my turnover has decreased markedly recently - in the main due to the dog).  This is of more benefit to the TAB and the industry.  Therefore I believe this is a stupid strategy by the TAB but that should not shock anyone.  So I've withdrawn from their promotions and my betting in the future will be at an absolute minimum - just when something spikes my interest.

Finally I believe that it is a bad promotion from an ethical standpoint - the TAB is hoping to lull punters into making bigger bets when they can't afford to.

I realise they are desperately trying to recoup their massive losses but you have to draw the line somewhere.

• Like 2

I can't see what is wrong with what they are doing, all the big bookies are doing the same thing they need to compete and I'm sure their approach like the bigger online bookies is aimed at those that can afford it. 

How is it any different to the up selling that goes on in banking etc.

Their job is generate turnover and to create returns for the industry. 

I got a deposit $30 and get $20 bonus bet. Great, nothing wrong with that. 

But I find the whole approach so substandard compared to their competition, some thoughts:

-The offer came through Wednesday and had to be taken up that day. Is hump day the best day to encourage betting when so much focus is on the weekend and is only 12 hours a reasonable time frame?

-Zero reference or mention of WHY I should top up - this is in comparison to competitors who will revolve the top offer around an up coming large race IE ALL STAR MILE this weekend top up.

-Besides a graphic which is hidden on email clients zero reference to racing.

I just don't believe this TAB has the expertise or personal to be competitive. They prove this time and time again and regardless of the corporate spin we get on the global wagering market they are going to get creamed. Feels like moving the deck chairs.

7 hours ago, Fred said:

I like the weekend [race 1&2] win bet were you get your stake back if it finishes 2-3-4 -am still waiting for the 4 horse field tho !

I have bet each race and normally would not have.

Agree I have also had a bet when I wouldn’t ordinarily. The other one I tend to be on is the super rugby within 10 points refund. If you pick the right horse/rugby game it’s almost a free hit. 

• Like 1