Bit Of A Yarn

Greg Kerr

32 minutes ago, Aussie aussie aussie said:

Haha , it will never happen , it will cost him the 500 dollar fee they already get as well , if taken to court it would be overruled by the trading agreement between nz and australia , next thing he will be known for is making australia charge nz horses $100000 to bring your horses over here for our stakemoney , 

What a load of bollocks , Cer still stands between the two countries the only difference here is New Zealand won’t now be the dumping ground that it’s become for their unwanted Greyhounds.

The old story out of sight out of mind, so Aussie Aussie Aussie how does New Zealand stand then regarding Australia sending back what you Aussie’s see as undesirables .

Closer  Economic Relations I think NewZealand is being fucked up the arse by you guys .

To be honest $2000 is far to light ,should be between $5000 to $10000 .

But it’s a start

• Like 1

The difference is Australian owners have a free get out clause , it is so much harder to have a dog euthanised in Australia than in New Zealand . 

Send the dog to New Zealand and the problem disappears for the owner in Australia.

How many dogs go across to Australia from New Zealand , maybe one or two in the last ten years .

250 a year for the last ten years from Australia to New Zealand .

Australia 2500 over the last 10 years

New Zealand 1 or 2 over last 10 years 

I think the difference is the New Zealand dogs probably came back here.

The Australian dogs just end up on the Greyhounds as Pets Register .

Sounds a fair deal .  not

1 hour ago, Arsenic said:

What a load of bollocks , Cer still stands between the two countries the only difference here is New Zealand won’t now be the dumping ground that it’s become for their unwanted Greyhounds.

The old story out of sight out of mind, so Aussie Aussie Aussie how does New Zealand stand then regarding Australia sending back what you Aussie’s see as undesirables .

Closer  Economic Relations I think NewZealand is being fucked up the arse by you guys .

To be honest $2000 is far to light ,should be between $5000 to $10000 .

But it’s a start

Gezz come on guys , we have European horses coming here all the time have we cried like you babies, cause not because we want the best ,no wonder the warriors are what they are second best and thats what you loosers want you dogs to be

It’s about bringing dogs into New Zealand then after racing it becomes New Zealand’s problem , just becomes another number on the Gap register .

I didn’t think this had anything to do the racing side of it  , it’s about what happens to the animal after it’s racing career is over .

Dont have an issue with it racing here , but when it’s racing career ends it should be sent back to its country of birth .

It should not be allowed to be registered with the Gap New Zealand as its Australian bred should be placed on the Australian Gap Registry .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Another big difference is when NZ sends a dog to Australia to race, it's there because it was a stand-out dog in it's place of birth. Most dogs that are sent from Australia to NZ are on a stand-down because of their racing manners.

Outstanding aye?

• Like 1

does it really matter where the dogs come from??

last time i looked they all have 4 legs 1 tail and a mouthful of teeth........

on current rules there is a maximum of 250 imported greyhounds a year so lets say this drops too 50 ( i'm sure some very handy ones will still come and win most of the big races) so that's a shortfall of 200 dogs a year.......

so the code either loses racing dates or it has too breed another 200 dogs a year too counter the shortfall

so who breeds these 200 dogs??  and i would imagine too get 200 qualified race dogs it will probably take close too 300 pups born 33% failure rate??  

so i'm guessing by decreasing Aussie imports this will actually put more stress on our re-homing groups not improve them........

happy too be proved wrong but i just cant see how putting tariffs on these dogs will make one iota of difference too improving dog welfare in this country......... 

i think the issue around dogs coming here with marring or failing too pursue charges is something that can be debated but all policies should be made sensibly and for the benefit of the overall sport i just cant see any benefit too the code by banning perfectly good race dogs just because they are not born in nz  

24 minutes ago, shodsie said:

i just cant see any benefit too the code by banning perfectly good race dogs just because they are not born in nz  

No dogs are banned by this new ruling. A fully refundable tariff is going to be put in place.

Someone that wants to export a dog to race in NZ will have to pay the tariff. When it's done racing here it then can be returned to it's place of birth & the money refunded or the owner decided to leave it in NZ & forfeits the tariff. 

Pretty basic really....

Further to this, if the owner doesn't like the tariff, then they can simply not export it to NZ.

Edited by Yankiwi

Mehe......No I don’t breed racing dogs, but I would just about bet you anything you like that litters breed/reared in nz has no where near a 66% success rate.... and I don’t call a success a dog winning a race I’m talking racing through too 3.5 or years of 4 years of age I’m probably being generous at 66%....                                                 

Yankee.. can you tell me the difference between someone paying $15k or 20k for a dog let’s use Sparta as an example been a good dog created plenty of turnover been a good advertisement for our code.... the dog gets rehomed privately or through gap or mayhounds why should the owner be penilised $2000???  Then someone breeds a litter of pups 4 make it too the races and 2 are off too gap at 18 months of age and it costs them $150 a dog too use excately the same service dosnt make sense too me.... if you want too ban imports just ban them don’t make welfare as an excuse 

• Like 1

Your going to have a problem filling fields, hard to see people like Wheelers sending many more unless Craig wants to foot the bill for it. Same for imports in the sub 5k bracket. Ultimately NZ will have to breed 90% or more of it's own dogs. Are we going to rely on dog farmers to do this, the same ones who aren't held accountable for where the dogs go when finished..? Hard to know exactly but I'd guess NZ would need to breed probably 15-20 dogs for every 10 imports missing from racing population. Ultimately for the same racing population you will have a larger overall population draining into gap.

Nothing against clamping down on importing fighters and nonnies, long overdue but there will be unintended consequences of the policy in the medium to long term. Not to mention breeding line development in decades to come.

8 hours ago, shodsie said:

Yankee.. can you tell me the difference between someone paying $15k or 20k for a dog let’s use Sparta as an example been a good dog created plenty of turnover been a good advertisement for our code.... the dog gets rehomed privately or through gap or mayhounds why should the owner be penilised $2000???  Then someone breeds a litter of pups 4 make it too the races and 2 are off too gap at 18 months of age and it costs them $150 a dog too use excately the same service dosnt make sense too me.... if you want too ban imports just ban them don’t make welfare as an excuse 

Because a foreign dog racing in NZ is a privilege, not an inherent entitlement.

If the $20K dog is put into the GAP program or rehomed privately in NZ, then that makes one less willing member of the public to rehome a dog such as Bigtime Disappearance or Homebush Hideaway. Then after the next review we'll hear about one nameless retired greyhound per day that has been rehomed & the three greyhounds per day that have fallen off the radar, which no one knows what has "officially" happened to them.

Maybe NZ should ban the ownership of all breeds of dog as a family pet other than a greyhound. That would solve the abundance & backlog of retired greyhounds in NZ & make the tariff redundant. 9_9

• Champ Post 1

Most people in NZ do not even rehome there dogs. Look at the people with dogs on the list and than look at the total number of public trainers alone. It doesn't add up

Now I do have my own personal opinion on the matter which I believe is irrelevant in these circumstances, but if anyone thinks this is the solution to rehoming more dogs, than you are crazy when only a small percentage of dogs on the gap list are Australian anyway.

Plus what is 2k for those who are spending 15-20k on a dog? It's ridiculous. On top of that, I presume the $500 gap fee will also be removed meaning less funding for gap.

If the current regime were serious on the rehoming of dogs, they should look at limiting the amount of dogs bred per licensed person and per property to ensure the industry is sustainable into the future. 

We already have a gap tarif on imports and they have been limited in numbers. The few dogs that this will stop entering the country will be replaced by homebreds. You may cheer now, but the same people will complain when people like Cole and McInerney become even more dominate.

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 1

The welfare issue is a ruse. It is my understanding that the $500 import fee charged subsidises rehoming in NZ. You commend Kerr, but where are the stats? Someone above made the comment that Aus is sending dogs here because it's easier to euthanise than in Australia. Put up the evidence that shows the percentage of imports being put down. Following on, if what you say is true, then the problem isn't the imports, it lies with us. Why is it easier here, we are supposed to be governed by the same set of rules?

Take a good look at the rehoming stats. As a member above stated, it is quite clear which kennels are rehoming and which are not. Look at the big breeders. Do they take responsibility for the numbers they breed? And what about their lesser dogs? No, flick them off to whoever and make it someone else's problem. How is that different? What about their euthanasia stats? These breeders are allowed to churn out litter after litter, they buck the rules that are supposed to safeguard breeding bitches by continually being granted exemptions. They are puppy farmers whose business model is saturation.

240 a year doesn't even come close to the saturation numbers of the puppy farmers. The sale of thoroughbred stock to overseas buyers is the only thing that is keeping that code a float. When you start imposing tariffs there is a flow on effect. There is also room for legal challenge. Another member mentioned free trade agreements which encompass owner rights. Our whole industry is based on Australian breeding and imported semen. Take a look at the percentage of NZ sires to litters bred. On the whole, we don't support our own, which makes us a bunch of hypocrites. We are more than happy to send money to Australia for breeding straws. What is the percentage of race dogs to semen imported? How many of the progeny make it to the races, how many are rehomed, and how many fall into a hole.

It makes better business sense to import one ready to run race dog than import a straw and take my chances. The only thing that has ever stopped me is the fact I can't afford to. I do not agree that this is some sort of win. Our problems lie here. Imports are not pushing trainers out, our own are.

Edited by Cockyaleg
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

10 hours ago, bamboozla said:

Your going to have a problem filling fields, hard to see people like Wheelers sending many more unless Craig wants to foot the bill for it. Same for imports in the sub 5k bracket. Ultimately NZ will have to breed 90% or more of it's own dogs. Are we going to rely on dog farmers to do this, the same ones who aren't held accountable for where the dogs go when finished..? Hard to know exactly but I'd guess NZ would need to breed probably 15-20 dogs for every 10 imports missing from racing population. Ultimately for the same racing population you will have a larger overall population draining into gap.

Nothing against clamping down on importing fighters and nonnies, long overdue but there will be unintended consequences of the policy in the medium to long term. Not to mention breeding line development in decades to come.

Filling fields won’t be an issue because at this very moment week after week dogs are having to sit in their kennels because of not being able to get a start 

• Like 1

Look at the good contribution too the code the Ferguson’s are making,I would imagine the dogs they have brought Havnt been overly expensive they have copped the $500 import fee and have done a good job and winning races and now listed races, I would imagine they have brought in new owners too the game and we’re planning on expanding their greyhound involvement....... now it’s over bang sorry Peter it will now cost you $2000 a dog too rehome one even if you want Robson on the couch......  let’s hope this is just another captains call that gets banged on the head and quickly......

• Champ Post 1