Bit Of A Yarn

Greg Kerr

20 minutes ago, Greyhounder said:

What happens if a dog dies after being.imported and the 2k bond has been paid. Is there a refund? If there is ...that opens a whole new can of worms due to some of the souless money.hungry scum.we have training here.

Surely, they'd give the money back to ensure the injury is repaired... Oh wait... Grnz does not care about this problem. 

Grnz do not care about animal welfare. This sounds like conflict of interest from some of the members on the board

3 hours ago, shodsie said:

let’s hope this is just another captains call that gets banged on the head and quickly......

No it will be the New Zealand bred dogs banged on the head , do the sums 250 imports a year come into NZ roughly 300 dogs find homes per year and NZ happens to roughly breed 800 per year so your list for finding homes is increasing by around 750 per year.

Race them here no problem but to be flown back to Australia at end of career.

No ticketed dogs allowed , genuine dogs only need apply

4 hours ago, Greyhounder said:

What happens if a dog dies after being.imported and the 2k bond has been paid. Is there a refund? If there is ...that opens a whole new can of worms due to some of the souless money.hungry scum.we have training here.

They would all die mysteriously after their racing career ends just to get the 2k back, don’t think so.

Either be prepared to pay the fees or don’t race them .

Easy

37 minutes ago, Arsenic said:

No it will be the New Zealand bred dogs banged on the head , do the sums 250 imports a year come into NZ roughly 300 dogs find homes per year and NZ happens to roughly breed 800 per year so your list for finding homes is increasing by around 750 per year.

Your figures aren't accurate but I'll play the game. Do you have the stats that confirm imports are "being banged on the head"? Do you have the stats that compare the mortality rate with NZ dog's bred in the same year of importation? Do you have the stats that show how many imports have been retained for breeding? Do you have the stats that show how many imports have been rehomed and how? Do you have the stats that show which trainers are banging dogs on the head across the industry? I would hazard a guess that the answer to my questions is no. And what about the ticketed NZ bred dogs? Have you got a plan for them as well?

Prove those figures wrong , 250 per year imported then roughly 300 out through gap or there associates ie night rave etc.  then breeding stats around 800 pups per year so that equates to the gap and their affiliates list increasing by and  its waiting list getting larger by 750 dogs per year .

Really if you can’t or don’t want to pay a $ 2000 bond then maybe you should look for something else as 2 k  is neither here nor there.

this is my last comment on this as like most discussions on here they get over taken by people with there own agenda and common sense goes out the window......

currently we need a set amount of dogs too full fill our racing licenses if you take 200 out of this system these dogs will need to be replaced with more NZ breed dogs this will do absolutely nothing too improve the gap waiting list and if anything make it worse......

this is nothing more than a political agenda too get of Australian imports it has nothing too do with welfare........

i for one enjoy watching the pinny macs dyna daves robsons natures gents dusty gamblers dyna weslyns rocket raccons nelso allens etc on the tracks in NZ some may not and everyone is entitled too their opinions .....

one thing seldom discussed in this matter also is betting revenue one thing i do know about, 

these dogs well and truly pay for a retirement in NZ without having too pay 1000% more than a NZ breed pup too enjoy it 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Arsenic said:

Don’t need the stats the numbers tell it all

I neither breed nor import, so I can see both sides of the argument. You are making claims you cannot substantiate. Is the quota not 20 per month? The GRNZ report states 517 dogs were rehomed in 2018 and that does not include the non GRNZ registered rehomers. The breeding cap is over a 1000 per annum, these stats are readily available if you find the time to look. You don't have the figures, do you? And you never answered my question regarding ticketed NZ bred dogs.

14 minutes ago, shodsie said:

this is my last comment on this as like most discussions on here they get over taken by people with there own agenda and common sense goes out the window......

currently we need a set amount of dogs too full fill our racing licenses if you take 200 out of this system these dogs will need to be replaced with more NZ breed dogs this will do absolutely nothing too improve the gap waiting list and if anything make it worse......

this is nothing more than a political agenda too get of Australian imports it has nothing too do with welfare........

i for one enjoy watching the pinny macs dyna daves robsons natures gents dusty gamblers dyna weslyns rocket raccons nelso allens etc on the tracks in NZ some may not and everyone is entitled too their opinions .....

one thing seldom discussed in this matter also is betting revenue one thing i do know about, 

these dogs well and truly pay for a retirement in NZ without having too pay 1000% more than a NZ breed pup too enjoy it 

I'm with you on this, removing imports will not make one iota of difference to rehoming numbers. And yes, I do enjoy watching good dogs race. Well done to Robson and Pinny Mac on their Golden Chase efforts.

6 hours ago, shodsie said:

Look at the good contribution too the code the Ferguson’s are making,I would imagine the dogs they have brought Havnt been overly expensive they have copped the $500 import fee and have done a good job and winning races and now listed races, I would imagine they have brought in new owners too the game and we’re planning on expanding their greyhound involvement....... now it’s over bang sorry Peter it will now cost you $2000 a dog too rehome one even if you want Robson on the couch......  let’s hope this is just another captains call that gets banged on the head and quickly......

Agree, my trainer has bred pups for the last 20yrs and won 4 or 5 group 1 races with them , now he does not want to breed he just wants to race 8 to 10 dogs , so as he is retirement age he can't afford a extra 2k a dog , so as he said last night were does he get dogs ? So he has made the call if it happens he will call it quits which means another trainer in the north gone so were the hell is the north going to find dogs ? Looking up trainers in the north most import craiks have started , mulhane , t a green ,ferguson's, Henley, patton , walsh , clark , as far as i see it could kill northen racing as they are struggling to get fields as it is.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aussie aussie aussie said:

Agree, my trainer has bred pups for the last 20yrs and won 4 or 5 group 1 races with them , now he does not want to breed he just wants to race 8 to 10 dogs , so as he is retirement age he can't afford a extra 2k a dog , so as he said last night were does he get dogs ? So he has made the call if it happens he will call it quits which means another trainer in the north gone so were the hell is the north going to find dogs ? Looking up trainers in the north most import craiks have started , mulhane , t a green ,ferguson's, Henley, patton , walsh , clark , as far as i see it could kill northen racing as they are struggling to get fields as it is.

Very valid point Aussie. Not everyone wants or can breed. And the right to choose should be equal. We do not have stand-alone breeders in NZ. 

Guest CrossCodes
3 hours ago, Aussie aussie aussie said:

Well if he can’t afford to pay an extra 2K (that would be refunded if they chose) then they really shouldn’t be training them in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Aussie aussie aussie said:

What a wanker statement

20 minutes ago, Aussie aussie aussie said:

What a wanker statement

It’s the mentality of it though and to think he doesn’t actually have two bob to his name, I’m surprised he can pay the internet bill could train a fish to swim either.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shodsie said:

Blair. The gap, night rave, may hounds list is out the gate as it is. Give them a call and find out.

Of the dogs that do get retired how many come from those 3 or 4 large kennels???? 

On 4/04/2019 at 11:07 AM, Arsenic said:

have to agree no ticketed dogs allowed or impose the 2000 fee just on them

On 4/04/2019 at 3:14 PM, bamboozla said:

I think Paul may have but most are in Brendan's name these days I think.

thats why there in brendans name do you think wheeler would send his dogs over to nz if they had to be returned,  no and if they stayed in aust what would happen to them ?????

On 4/04/2019 at 11:58 AM, Cockyaleg said:

Your figures aren't accurate but I'll play the game. Do you have the stats that confirm imports are "being banged on the head"? Do you have the stats that compare the mortality rate with NZ dog's bred in the same year of importation? Do you have the stats that show how many imports have been retained for breeding? Do you have the stats that show how many imports have been rehomed and how? Do you have the stats that show which trainers are banging dogs on the head across the industry? I would hazard a guess that the answer to my questions is no. And what about the ticketed NZ bred dogs? Have you got a plan for them as well?

simple no ticketd dogs would aussies have them no

2 hours ago, wally said:

thats why there in brendans name do you think wheeler would send his dogs over to nz if they had to be returned,  no and if they stayed in aust what would happen to them ?????

Can't say for certain but I would say it was highly unlikely in most cases.. the cost equation for the Dyna Dave's, Dyna Elwyn's etc that are ready made group dogs is probably still worthwhile if they have no other viable option in Australia but for the vast majority of the others probably not. I am sure there are quite a few of them that would race successfully in Australia if they had stayed, the ones with tickets and poor chasing habits probably not. Not all the Wheeler dogs have tickets, some are just better suited to NZ racing because they perhaps lack a bit of early pace and are strong, or they can't run a hard 500m etc.

1 hour ago, bamboozla said:

Can't say for certain but I would say it was highly unlikely in most cases.. the cost equation for the Dyna Dave's, Dyna Elwyn's etc that are ready made group dogs is probably still worthwhile if they have no other viable option in Australia but for the vast majority of the others probably not. I am sure there are quite a few of them that would race successfully in Australia if they had stayed, the ones with tickets and poor chasing habits probably not. Not all the Wheeler dogs have tickets, some are just better suited to NZ racing because they perhaps lack a bit of early pace and are strong, or they can't run a hard 500m etc.

'not all of them have tickets' , not so sure about that theres about 13 wheeler dogs running in the south this week and id say at least nine of them have tickets