Bit Of A Yarn

Why o Why

And they wonder why owners have had a gutsful . Rotorua has the rail out so running fields of 10 , they get enough 2yo's nominated to split into 2 races but no , not the brains trust that is NZTR , they decide to run 1 race of 10 with 8 ballots , fecking diabolical , could have had 2 fields of 9 and given everybody a run but no owners can just keep stumping up till the next chance . I know an owner of one of the ballots and he is spewing . This just beggars belief . 

• Like 4

Hard to believe  I know, but this happens frequently particularly when you are a club that isn't on the "in crowd" list.

What's their logic ? who knows but they probably believe they are saving money,or it meets one of their KPI's for Field Size or horses for other meetings. 

I've had these discussions before , if trainers want to race somewhere and everything is in place to let them do so, why not let it happen?

Frustrating in the extreme,  happens down here too but not so much,  I don't think.

Trouble is,  stakes are bulk-funded -so,  while a club may be more than happy to split races to accomodate horses, that will cost more money than has been allocated and a smaller club won't be able to afford it.

[ please excuse the italics,  don't know what the hell I did to achieve those ]

Ok,  sorted...ffs ...gremlins..

6 minutes ago, Freda said:

Frustrating in the extreme,  happens down here too but not so much,  I don't think.

Trouble is,  stakes are bulk-funded -so,  while a club may be more than happy to split races to accomodate horses, that will cost more money than has been allocated and a smaller club won't be able to afford it.

[ please excuse the italics,  don't know what the hell I did to achieve those ]

Ok,  sorted...ffs ...gremlins..

If they split a race Freda that races stakes are still funded, the sponsorship portion isn't obviously as that is the domain of the club. Lets not also forget that an extra race generates extra betting revenue also.  I'd have thought one with a decent sized field on a Friday afternoon Industry day would also do quite well.

2 hours ago, Huey said:

Hard to believe  I know, but this happens frequently particularly when you are a club that isn't on the "in crowd" list.

What's their logic ? who knows but they probably believe they are saving money,or it meets one of their KPI's for Field Size or horses for other meetings. 

I've had these discussions before , if trainers want to race somewhere and everything is in place to let them do so, why not let it happen?

The bit i don't get is they split the mdn 1950 hwt , now i'm not bagging these horses but going forward the next generation of horses is more important to give chances to , the mdns in large part have had a few chances but a large proportion of the 2yo's were looking to have their first start . Also i believe a few were probably eliminated as there were more numbers than the 18 carded . If the suits had the best interests of racing in mind they simply card an extra race for 2yo's but i'm sure they will have their obtuse spin on their reason for not doing this . Yet again it's owners who take the hit .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huey said:

If they split a race Freda that races stakes are still funded, the sponsorship portion isn't obviously as that is the domain of the club. Lets not also forget that an extra race generates extra betting revenue also.  I'd have thought one with a decent sized field on a Friday afternoon Industry day would also do quite well.

Stakes are provided by NZTR so it is up to that august body whether they choose to fund...not the club.

As for 'doing well' out of the extra turnover, my guess is that any extra generated would not go anywhere near the the money provided.

Edited by Freda

43 minutes ago, Freda said:

Stakes are provided by NZTR so it is up to that august body whether they choose to fund...not the club.

As for 'doing well' out of the extra turnover, my guess is that any extra generated would not go anywhere near the the money provided.

Our AUGUST body should have sufficient funds , in fact more than sufficient , to cover such events irrespective of whether this funding can be covered by the extra gambling . Their job is to do things in the best interests of the industry . Yet again they have failed the core participants . WHAT"S NEW .

• Like 2

It would appear that they have split two races making it a 10 race card by the looks of it. 8 races programmed for the day.

The two races split are the highweights..

Perhaps the 2yo race hasn't been split due to it being a Pearl Series Bonus race and the money wasn't available for two races and also there is a 2yo race scheduled for Matamata on Wednesday.  

On 11/04/2019 at 9:37 AM, Freda said:

I have no idea what tangent you're on, you're just repeating what I've already stated.

I think there would be a high probability a decent sized field for a $10k race would fund itself on a Friday afternoon  or are you trying to tell me the $ bet on a $10k race on an industry day wouldn't cover the cost of the prizemoney , if so please explain?

4 minutes ago, Freda said:

It is my opinion - just my opinion - that turnover generated on the majority of races wouldn't produce as much as many believe.

How does that need explanation?  you are quite entitled to disagree...!

On $10k races with a decent sized field i.e. over 8 runners , really? So you believe we are losing $ on every single race then? I don't disagree for some Saturday prizemoney but I'd be surprised if the above scenario didn't pay for itself. Taking into account all the Win/Place, Fixed Odds,Multis and exotic bets placed on a race i.e. trebles,doubles,First4s,Trifectas,Quaddies etc

1 hour ago, Huey said:

I have no idea what tangent you're on, you're just repeating what I've already stated.

I think there would be a high probability a decent sized field for a $10k race would fund itself on a Friday afternoon  or are you trying to tell me the $ bet on a $10k race on an industry day wouldn't cover the cost of the prizemoney , if so please explain?

Definitely doesn't. Probably not on any race run in NZ anymore. The stakes are being subsidised by sports betting, pokies, overseas racing and other codes, I'm afraid, let alone the costs of staging the event. Was different 10 or 15 years ago. Not now.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1