Bit Of A Yarn

One For The Ages

We should all take a moment or two between now and Saturday afternoon to fully comprehend what we have witnessed over the last 4 years.

For me, it doesn’t matter whether or not Winx bows out on a winning note – surely it would be a sensational loss – but more important is the recognition of her amazing deeds on the track and the inspiration she has given to thousands in the game who seek to be involved in any way with one as good as her.

Strapper, foreman, trainer, jockey owner, breeder – crikey, even the person who foaled her down or the vet who fixed a problem, or a farrier who shod her, has a story to tell. The auctioneer who brought the hammer down and the under-bidder at the Queensland sale who missed out on her can dine out on the story for years.

I regret that I didn’t see Winx in the flesh for any of her Group 1 wins. It’s like turning down the chance to see Phar Lap. I should have made the effort, for champions of the turf are inherently rare.

I saw Kingston Town nearly 40 years ago - up close and personal  at Mooney Valley and Flemington – and remember thinking that I would never see a better racehorse. He was magnificent -and he knew it.

Winx is better.

I recall the champion USA mare Zenyatta – unbeaten going into her swansong , but losing by a small margin to Blame in her finale – and how Octagonal and Lonhro went under in the QE2 Stakes, when odds-on favourites.

I hope like hell Winx kicks the opposition comfortably on Saturday to get the triumphant send-off she deserves. We all love fairytales.

But even if she does goes down, she has earned her place as the best in the Southern Hemisphere, and perhaps the world, since Phar Lap.
Better than Sunline and Might and Power and Bonecrusher and (probably) Tulloch. Comparisons from eras long past are fruitless anyway/

Over 40,000 people will be at Randwick on Saturday to witness and farewell the best racehorse of my lifetime thus far.

It won't bother me if I never get to see anything better than Winx.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

28 minutes ago, VC! said:

Yes congratulations to all associated with Winx

But I have to admit I have struggled with Debbie Kepitis

i thought i was the only one VC! She drives me nuts, to the extent that I wont watch the aftermath of Winx's races

Edited by Weasel

Absolutely , if someone had told you 5 years ago about such a mythical horse as Winx you would not have believed them and probably laughed in their face, but she is real and something quite fantastic wins on Good, Soft Heavy,varying distances, runs times , gobbles them up from last ... I agree the best ever!

I'm a Debbie fan I reckon she comes across great and pours a lot of real emotion into it. Go Winxie!!