Bit Of A Yarn

Genius info on TAB Form Guide ...

Weasel

Take a look at this result from Randwick this afternoon (screenshot taken at 6.10pm on Mon 23 Apr). The resulted First 4 numbers are listed as 4:1:8:13..

The also rans show number 3 running 4th and number 13 second-to-last.

So much for accuracy!

Result.PNG

• Like 1

I just don't understand why, from Day 1, we could not have had all of the information that was previously available on the old site incorporated into the meeting/race/horse/results info. available on the new one. Surely, it was all available and only needed to be migrated and maybe reformatted in some way to 'fit' the new site. Probably a little more complicated that I might imagine, but still possible when there is a healthy budget to do the job.

It seems that what ordinary punters want to see is a bundled package that operates with minimal clicks to access & use it, clear formatting, an easy to read layout (those fonts and colours are sooo bad). This was pretty much all there on the old site. Somehow,  the 'new/improved' platform we were promised turned out to be almost unusable at the start and it is only marginally better now. A very expensive fail on every count from where I stand!

So many questions and thoughts run through my simple mind daily (such as) :

How can something so bad have cost so much?

What sort of horrendous $-figure is the vast fix required going to cost in the future and is this cost ever going to be truly and transparently provided to Joe Punter?

Can a 'dog'  ever be transformed into anything more than a 'slightly prettier dog' in a retro-fix?

Why should I have to have one or more other sites open to get what we had at our fingertips before? The TAB is our national betting flagship is it not? Is this not where all of the info. should be available to anyone who wants to invest a $ or two? Seeing accurate pre race info. & post-race results should also be a fundamental. I should not have to view/bet overseas to get the basics! Nor should I have to be bouncing all over the LoveRacing site for info. either. It is not designed to be NZ's online punting site.

Why is this new site so incredibly inaccurate so often? The site should carry a disclaimer. It really is that bad!

Are the majority of sports bettors happy with their supposedly much better site/number of options, etc.? Strangely enough the two or three I know who invest over $1k per wager are at best ambivalent about it.

So here we are over three months down the track from launch date and I could still bore you with a list of issues that is seemingly still as long as it ever was ?  

I've come to the devastating (for me) conclusion that my waning interest in the game, will likely, totally dry up in the foreseeable future . The enjoyment factor is being sucked out of me more and more each day. Decades of loving a punt,  racehorse ownership etc. are all fast losing their appeal to me. ? 

The only thing that truly lives on despite all of the 'issues' is my deep love of horses and thoroughbreds in particular. Nothing, but nothing will destroy that! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 4

I'll be honest I don't bet at the moment.  Can't afford it unless the TAB freebie comes into my account which I keep 80 cents in.  That 80 cents let's me see Trackside on my phone when horses like WINX are racing.  Although sometimes thats like watching a dyslexic stutterer giving the sermon at church on a Sunday.

However I do keep an active interest in Racing and am very interested in new technology.

This "new" TAB app and website is seriously challenging my interest.

WTF can't I see the correct order of finish AND the correct form for races in NEW ZEALAND!  Isn't that data WE control?

Surely it is in a decent database OR is it the "IP" of the code governing bodies and they are holding out from NZRB?

Or does the NZRB not have the technical skills and the dosh to run their own database that feeds into the useless app and website?

Has anyone noticed that if you click on "Exrended Form" on the TAB APP it diverts you to a website named new.tab.co.nz.

Which means the App isn't integrated with their form databases.

Was the App part of the Paddy Power deal?  Doesn't seem so.

Bear in mind that the App has cost many millions already!

• Like 1

This is the commentary for BRUZO in the first at Blenheim today. It is running in a Maiden race, but it won on the first day...so I assume its for Maidens at time of nomination or whatever...
can someone explain why it says: "Stepped up in class after bold maiden run."

Stepped up in class after bold maiden run. Have to keep safe

• Haha 2

On 22/04/2019 at 9:52 PM, Chimbu said:

What sort of horrendous $-figure is the vast fix required going to cost in the future and is this cost ever going to be truly and transparently provided to Joe Punter?

Can a 'dog'  ever be transformed into anything more than a 'slightly prettier dog' in a retro-fix?

Why should I have to have one or more other sites open to get what we had at our fingertips before? The TAB is our national betting flagship is it not? Is this not where all of the info. should be available to anyone who wants to invest a $ or two? Seeing accurate pre race info. & post-race results should also be a fundamental. I should not have to view/bet overseas to get the basics! Nor should I have to be bouncing all over the LoveRacing site for info. either. It is not designed to be NZ's online punting site.

Got to take issue with some of your points.

The TAB should NOT be involved in the form information side particularly trying and not being successful incorporating it into the betting layout. It  must be developed independently then linked in the most convenient fashion. Anyone involved in IT should see the necessity of that.

Having followed IT for many years one thing that stands out is even the most holiest of grails can be made obsolete and even the most clued up experts can be wrong. e.g. Microsoft never really saw the Internet coming and Xerox basically gave away the windows interface to Apple.

Therefore the TAB website could easily become obsolete there is no guarantee. Might be OK at home with a decent screen but when on the go messing around with an app on the phone not much fun. Getting information and placing a bet will become far simpler with technology so the $50M spent may quickly have to be written off.

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

Therefore the TAB website could easily become obsolete there is no guarantee. Might be OK at home with a decent screen but when on the go messing around with an app on the phone not much fun. Getting information and placing a bet will become far simpler with technology so the $50M spent may quickly have to be written off.

Might be very quickly if the betting platform is going to be outsourced as alluded to in the Messara report.

JRyan Elliot(58)
TKevin Myers

Had one trial this time in before debut first day. Go on that

This is another 'ripper' piece of form analysis!

RIPCORD has "had one trial" ... but no details of where it finished,  when it occurred, what it beat....

and it has 'Debut first day" but no placing beside its name, so no idea where it finished on debut.

Click into Recent Races ...no info available at all!

And we're told to "go on that"! (Its trial?? No info. It's debut? No info...)

BRILLIANT !!

Edited by Weasel
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Weasel said:

JRyan Elliot(58)
TKevin Myers

Had one trial this time in before debut first day. Go on that

This is another 'ripper' piece of form analysis!

RIPCORD has "had one trial" ... but no details of where it finished,  when it occurred, what it beat....

and it has 'Debut first day" but no placing beside its name, so no idea where it finished on debut.

Click into Recent Races ...no info available at all!

And we're told to "go on that"! (Its trial?? No info. It's debut? No info...)

BRILLIANT !!

Well at least its better than writing "watch the tote" which they do quite often.

NZ is far better off for racing info than other places. The UK sites such as racinpost and sportinglife I find very awkward and slow and then getting the video requires payment, placing bet or other restrictions.. NZTR deserves credit for supplying data ready for import into spreadsheets or databases. Other outfits such as Australia make it as difficult as possible to freely obtain data. They cling to the idea their precious results data is copyright. In this day and age that notion is rubbish.

6 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Got to take issue with some of your points.

The TAB should NOT be involved in the form information side particularly trying and not being successful incorporating it into the betting layout. It  must be developed independently then linked in the most convenient fashion. Anyone involved in IT should see the necessity of that.

Having followed IT for many years one thing that stands out is even the most holiest of grails can be made obsolete and even the most clued up experts can be wrong. e.g. Microsoft never really saw the Internet coming and Xerox basically gave away the windows interface to Apple.

I know very little about IT and am happy to admit it, however, as far as I am concerned it is this simple:  The NZ TAB takes my money when I bet on their site so they should provide the information for me to make informed choices. If they wish to outsource the provision of this information to someone else, that's fine.  I don't care, so long as the information is timely, accurate, fit-for-purpose, easy to use & I can access all of it from the TAB desktop site.

As for the app IMO it has been an abject failure since long before the upgrade. I just don't use it - hated it from day one & gave up trying to use it within minutes.  Might be OK for younger people - I can't speak for them. 

As for the expense of all of this, I just despair and tend to agree that we are likely to see huge sums written off in the not too distant future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weasel said:

The form analysis for Mr One Eleven, racing in the Galleywood Hurdles today at the 'Bool.

Its form sequence is: 83111 so the genius analyst states: 

Shooting for four wins in a row.

BRILLIANT..WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN?

For the sake of being argumentative I say its better than nothing at all.

Perhaps you could guide me to the TAB's promotion for the Kentucky Derby. A comment such as four wins in a row would be huge if it doesn't clash with the NBA.

24 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

For the sake of being argumentative I say its better than nothing at all.

Perhaps you could guide me to the TAB's promotion for the Kentucky Derby. A comment such as four wins in a row would be huge if it doesn't clash with the NBA.

why be argumentative for its own sake TC? Why not say: poor form (!) TAB...you've spent $50m+ and this is what we get...where's the field/Form guide for Kentucky carnival?

Last Sunday for the big meeting at Sha Tin. the amount of info available for punters was pathetic, yet John Allen and co say they're offering a state-of-the-art platform thats worth the dosh and all the delays/frustrations of the pasy year!

If you want 'Tucky form, go to: horseracingnation.com . They'll bombard you with information in the last three weeks (I know, I get their emails!)

Edited by Weasel

these gems are not hard to find ...

BOBBY DEE ran 4th in the NZ Derby, surely the right form for a race like this;

Only problem being that Bobby Dee ran 6th...still wouldnt let an incorrect form  guide stop you from finding a winner! 

Stake:

$1,000,000

Track:

GOOD3

Weather:

FINE
# Name Jockey/Driver/Trainer Win Place
12 Crown Prosecutor Craig Grylls 105.40 22.50
3 In A Twinkling Glen Boss   2.40
18 Platinum Invador Chris Johnson   3.80
Bet Type Runners Dividend
Quinella 3,12 396.70
Trifecta 12:3:18 10,588.90
First4 12:3:18:17 42,739.10

Jackpot:

• First4 Carry Forward $42,311.70 Next First4

Also ran:

• 17-Arrogant-Cameron Lammas(2L)
  • 1-Surely Sacred-Vinnie Colgan(2.4L)
  • 4-Bobby Dee-Jonathan Riddell(3.2L)
  • 14-Tolemac-Jake Bayliss(3.5L)
  • 16-Prise De Fer-Opie Bosson(4.3L)
  • 2-Vernanme-Jason Waddell(5.5L)
  • 9-Cutadeel-Matthew Cameron(5.5L)
  • 8-The Chosen One-Sam Spratt(5.8L)
  • 15-Swords Drawn-Samantha Collett(6.3L)
  • 5-Sir Nate-Rosie Myers(7.7L)
  • 11-Botti-Trudy Thornton(8.1L)
  • 7-Sponge Bob-Troy Harris(8.4L)
  • 6-More Wonder-Ryan Elliot(8.6L)
  • 10-Nobu-Pat Cosgrave(9.5L)
  • 13-Lincoln Falls-Johnathan Parkes(18.3L)

Note: Numbers shown are the distance from winner in lengths.

Winners Time:

2:28.17

Winning Margins:

Hd, 1-1/2L, Nk

Owners:

Huntingdale Lodge 2012 Ltd (Mgr: Harvey Green) & JML Bloodst

Trainer:

Stephen Marsh, Cambridge

Breeding:

3 c Medaglia D'Oro (USA)-Riptide (AUS)

Scratched:

19-Masetto, 20-Sword In Stone, 21-Roc Ya Sox, 22-Amano