Bit Of A Yarn

3 News tonight

Kiwigreys

On 4/23/2019 at 6:29 PM, Kiwigreys said:

I see Cole is only warned off till 5th May,  roll on court day!!!

On another note I see Cole has 38 dogs in this Friday, good luck with that!!, I hope all trainers tell him to get fkd and no one helps him.....

Yep all staff on deck cowboy hats and all if i were there wouldn’t give him or helpers time of day ?

Today's rulebook study lesson...

76.1 No Licenced Person may train, or keep (unless retired as a pet) any Greyhounds at any property or premises of a person who has been Disqualified, Warned Off, Suspended or declared to be a Defaulter, during that person’s period of disqualification, warning off, suspension or default. 

76.2 No person who has been Disqualified, Warned Off, Suspended, or declared to be a Defaulter, shall be permitted during the period of disqualification, warning off, suspension or default, to transfer ownership or any training responsibilities for any Greyhound, to any other person without the written consent of the Board. 

Race 1 today ~

image.thumb.png.0eb245d54eb9a92a57559a23dbfc4472.png

Race 2 today ~

image.thumb.png.52f244b1fcc364ac18fa11d4a32cdb43.png

Race 7 today ~

image.thumb.png.34559e58d97f9d04774cefd33ed09435.png

Race 10 today ~

image.thumb.png.1bd88761002eed4f84da31c2880c14cd.png

1 minute ago, Yankiwi said:

76.2 No person who has been Disqualified, Warned Off, Suspended, or declared to be a Defaulter, shall be permitted during the period of disqualification, warning off, suspension or default, to transfer ownership or any training responsibilities for any Greyhound, to any other person without the written consent of the Board

So this must mean he has written consent from the Board to race the dogs !!

He'd need written consent to transfer ownership 76.2

76.1 No Licenced Person may train, or keep (unless retired as a pet) any Greyhounds at any property or premises of a person who has been Disqualified, Warned Off, Suspended or declared to be a Defaulter, during that person’s period of disqualification, warning off, suspension or default. 

"No Licenced Person may train or keep"

• Lisa may not train
  • Brendon (still an LP even though he's warned off) may not keep on property.

Right?

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Is Brendon living at the property ?

Is Lisa warned off ?

Like D Schofield,

Lisa is listed as the trainer so is as guilty as Brendon even if she isn't on the property.

At the end of the day it's the dogs that have gained benefit from the practice in my opinion so who ever is involved be gone with ya. Dogs involved all suspended too. Is that not how it happened in Australia?? 

31 minutes ago, Kiwigreys said:

Overhead this at the track yesterday “ oh it’s been so stressful lately with all this going on, and we haven’t even done anything wrong” jaw nearly hit the floor, had to walk away so my fit of laughter couldn’t be heard

Stressful for everybody the kennel has been caught out .for the best for greyhound racing put your hand up every one involved and face the music 

This could have been dealt with many years ago...

The complaints/concerns were raised with more than one kennel.

The RIU & GRNZ Board just buried their heads in the sand & pretended it wasn't happening...

Not quite so long ago, remember the Peter Earley's Wednesday radio show when a caller rang in & spoke to CR (when he was the board chair) asking him when the Cole kennel would be dealt with for live baiting? The caller pointed out that he had many dogs with the kennel & that he must know exactly what was happening there...

The immediate (transcript response?) was that GRNZ had no evidence of such practice so if the caller had some, ring the RIU hotline & provide them with the evidence...

If only it was broadcast as a TV show & not a radio show... The fear/lies/deceit would have been all over the face of CR... I had noticed with CR that when he became fearful, he began speaking much faster & the tone of his voice changed... Remember how quick he was to respond to that caller? I do...  

Nice door by the way, referring to the dork in the TV3 interview a couple of weeks back..... coward...

I must be jealous that TV3 doesn't come to my house for a chat, so I can hide behind a door too. 

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Kiwigreys said:

Overhead this at the track yesterday “ oh it’s been so stressful lately with all this going on, and we haven’t even done anything wrong” jaw nearly hit the floor, had to walk away so my fit of laughter couldn’t be heard

And they are correct. Brendon Cole has not been found guilty of anything. At this stage he is, and should be innocent until proven otherwise. Having said that. he and Lisa's kennel have found themselves embroiled in controversy surrounding animal cruelty resulting in criminal charges being laid by the SPCA. The result being, incredible damage to the image and reputation of Greyhound racing. And this is the reason for the warning off. And under the rules the Board of Greyhound NZ have a duty to protect that image. 

There are two separate things happening here. The first is Cole's guilt or innocence, and this will not become apparent until the Court process runs its course. The second is the integrity and reputation of Greyhound racing in NZ. It is correct and proper that the second should over ride the first, hence the sweeping powers at the disposal of the Board to warn off until the verdict from the Court is determined.

Warning off does not have to rely on guilt or innocence under the rules, basically it is at the discretion of the Board especially where it involves serious charges, and most importantly, the reputation of the Sport. Caste your mind back to the Lisa Crop case with TB NZ. She managed to stretch her case out for years by appealing and delaying at every Court sitting, taking it all the way to the Supreme Court. During that time she won the Jockey's premiership, but was ultimately found guilty. To the best of my knowledge rules were changed so as people that were charged with serious offence's could and would be stood down until the result was known.

So in summation, Brendon is, and should be innocent until proven otherwise. But until this result is known, he and his operation needs to be shut down if Greyhound NZ is to retain any credibility. Just banning him from race tracks, whilst allowing business as normal does not do this for me. Ultimately joe public will be the final arbitrators.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 3

Guest CrossCodes

Anybody know whatever happened to Bigtime Paddy?

I remember reading when he got injured (tendon?) that he was going to stand at stud once healed but that was a long time ago.

Guest CrossCodes
8 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

Anybody know whatever happened to Bigtime Paddy?

I remember reading when he got injured (tendon?) that he was going to stand at stud once healed but that was a long time ago.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/wanganui-chronicle/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503424&objectid=12112443

I just found this article.

So Allegro Gun is another top dog that hasn’t served any bitches either (stand to be corrected), wonder where he is?

Any of these 2 former top dogs been rehomed? 

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

And they are correct. Brendon Cole has not been found guilty of anything. At this stage he is, and should be innocent until proven otherwise. Having said that. he and Lisa's kennel have found themselves embroiled in controversy surrounding animal cruelty resulting in criminal charges being laid by the SPCA. The result being, incredible damage to the image and reputation of Greyhound racing. And this is the reason for the warning off. And under the rules the Board of Greyhound NZ have a duty to protect that image. 

There are two separate things happening here. The first is Cole's guilt or innocence, and this will not become apparent until the Court process runs its course. The second is the integrity and reputation of Greyhound racing in NZ. It is correct and proper that the second should over ride the first, hence the sweeping powers at the disposal of the Board to warn off until the verdict from the Court is determined.

Warning off does not have to rely on guilt or innocence under the rules, basically it is at the discretion of the Board especially where it involves serious charges, and most importantly, the reputation of the Sport. Caste your mind back to the Lisa Crop case with TB NZ. She managed to stretch her case out for years by appealing and delaying at every Court sitting, taking it all the way to the Supreme Court. During that time she won the Jockey's premiership, but was ultimately found guilty. To the best of my knowledge rules were changed so as people that were charged with serious offence's could and would be stood down until the result was known.

So in summation, Brendon is, and should be innocent until proven otherwise. But until this result is known, he and his operation needs to be shut down if Greyhound NZ is to retain any credibility. Just banning him from race tracks, whilst allowing business as normal does not do this for me. Ultimately joe public will be the final arbitrators.

Great post. I think the key to what appears to be a partial warning off goes back to the recent harness debacle also handled by the RIU. I am presently reading up on the warning offs handed down and the challenges that followed those actions. The appeals were successful, and for most if not all it was business as usual shortly after. I believe the kennel should be shut down as their continuation comes across as weak, worse to the general public. But I have to say, based on the harness action to make the same mistakes twice would see the kennel successfully appeal with no further action able to be undertaken, until the conclusion of the SPCA case.

I like many others are waiting to hear what the actual charges are, that won't be known until the 7th of May. His lawyers would have been working overtime, challenging any attempt to release that information earlier. He may also apply for name suppression which could see the media in trouble even though the notice of investigation is nearly to years old. This could be a legal minefield. The challenges could be protracted as you say. 

Looking at the legalities of this case I believe this was the only action that would be successful at this time. Who knows, on the 8th of May the situation may change or not. We just have to wait. 

Edited by Cockyaleg

The NZGRA have another rule in the tool box, but it appears they are not using it. My opinion is, it is more applicable in this case than issuing a warning off. It is rule 107. Power to Revoke. 107.1,  107.3, issue a show cause notice, and use d,e,f. as grounds. For those without a rule book, I think its on the NZGRA website. Any thoughts on rule 107 Yankiwi?.

First thought Aquaman.. you need an up to date rule book!

Under 83.2, the board would be well within their rights to suspend Brendon's licence. I have believed for a long time it would be in the best interest and help towards showing some integrity. That said, it would take a proactive board (should have been done a year & a half ago) which everyone knows we didn't/don't have. We have a reactive board & it's about as reactive as a sloth for some training operations...

Things didn't move anywhere near this slow with Denis, did it?

83.2 The Association may issue a show cause notice to a Licenced Person directing them to attend a hearing and demonstrate why their Licence should not be cancelled, suspended or withdrawn, or have conditions imposed on it. 

Any hearing will be heard by the Chief Executive (or his/her delegate) and a Board Member (who is not a member of the Integrity Committee of the Association). After the hearing the Chief Executive and the Board member will jointly submit a recommendation to the Integrity Committee of the Association as to whether the Licence should be cancelled, suspended, withdrawn, or whether it should be maintained in its current form. 

The circumstances in which a show cause notice may be issued include but are not limited to: 

(a) failure to pay debts incurred as a result of participation in the industry as evidenced by a judgement of a court or signed written complaints supported by undisputed evidence of the debt; or 

(b) recommendations from an inquiry by Stipendiary Stewards or Racecourse Investigators; or 

(c) failure to meet conditions of the Licence; or 

(d) any reason that may otherwise be grounds for an immediate cancellation, suspension or withdrawal of, or imposition of conditions on, the Licence; or 

(e) involvement in ongoing racing investigations; or 

(f) a person for whom, in the opinion of the Board, there is reasonable cause to believe may bring Greyhound racing into disrepute.

Sorry Chief.. I don't know what a stable hand is...

A handler is generally boxing/catching dogs on camera... They have several other tasks which are not aired on the tube (kennelling & so on).

An LP (Licensed Person) is a very broad term... All of the following need to be an LP under GRNZ rules

• Public Trainer
  • Private Trainer
  • Handler
  • Owner
  • Stud Master

10 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Sorry Chief.. I don't know what a stable hand is...

A handler is generally boxing/catching dogs on camera... They have several other tasks which are not aired on the tube (kennelling & so on).

An LP (Licensed Person) is a very broad term... All of the following need to be an LP under GRNZ rules

• Public Trainer
  • Private Trainer
  • Handler
  • Owner
  • Stud Master

A licensed stable hand is a thoroughbred and harness term.  They need to be licensed now to lead horses into a racetrack, into the stables and parade ring.