Bit Of A Yarn

Tragic MATAMATA death...TOTALLY AVOIDABLE

Thomass

So this is about the awful death of the horse CARRELEUR last month at the mid week Matamata races...

I was alerted to this by someone closely connected to the shocking death and the circumstances that led to the mare being euthanised...Ive been provided with the pre race video that showed the terrible sight of the mare colliding with the outside fence...

...close to the stabling area on the turn...galloping along the outer perimeter fence in the opposite direction...

...her near side shoulder sliding along the pipe and diamond wire fence as she failed to negotiate the change of angle to the perimeter...

..where her skin was then stripped completely off the shoulder...suffering extensive deep lacerations...too severe to save her...

It was a shocking sight..

A few seconds before this...The mare was fractious in the stalls and about to be released to undergo a Vet exam...but not so bad that the situation required an emergency release to save either horse or Jockey...

The attendant was up with her with another standing alongside...instead of the accepted standard procedure of slipping the reins forward over the head and attaching a lead...

...she was realeased without either safety measure being applied...

..the other attendant then snatched the rein on the fast backing mare...to which CARRELEUR took fright and bolted...galloping along the outer perimeter fence and to her ultimate death

TOTALLY AVOIDABLE....

...contributed largely by the fact the Barrier Attendants failed to follow accepted safety procedures when dealing with horses being handled at the start...

AGAIN adding to the woeful year of these Barrier Crews...mostly the fault of the NORTHERN RACEDAY SERVICES company...the crew who think they know best...and as detailed in the previous thread...

This TRAGIC DEATH deserved its own thread...which also highlights the....

ZERO TRANSPARENCY both NZTR and the woeful RIU wanted this dealt with...swept under the carpet...ZERO PUBLIC dissemination of the results of the 'investigation'

That simply found it was a tragic accident...that could have been avoided..

At least the woeful crew employed by NORTHERN RACE DAY SERVICES were STRONGLY REPRIMANDED over their ignorance...

Fat lot of good that did to save CARRELEUR's life where the sight of her fate will live with those who saw it forever...

The only acceptable outcome of this sorry affair would be that ALL Barrier Attendants should be required to be tested and thus reminded of the safety requirements of their job...

Not some Post death action that may last a few months before they ignore safety protocols again...

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

You're right it was terrible viewing...the camera soon panned off and Popplewell was left speechless...

...of course that's all that anyone in the industry saw and heard...

The 'Investigation' in these circumstances is secreted...as per the hopeless RIU's TOTAL LACK OF TRANSPARENCY...

Imagine a Human Coronial Inquiry being secreted after it was found Human Error contributed to a death?

Publishing a Coronial Inquiry not only establishes what happened to avoid further deaths..But embarrasses the organisation that was at fault as part of its punishment...

...or the entire Industry just brushes it off as 'one of those freak accidents'

When it wasn't...

It was however...TOTALLY AVOIDABLE 

• Champ Post 1

They deal with 'wilful neglect'....

...this was 'ignorant incompetence'...failing to follow basic horsemanship as laid down per the Standard Barrier Starting Manual for dealing with the safe handling and care aspect

...it's like the ELLERSLIE Derby starter not following the Standard Manual by having the application of the Barrier Blanket on the designated Starters Card...simply relying on his own memory...which didn't work...so that he failed the Industry....miserably 

This was far worse incompetence...resulting in the horrific death of CARRELUER...

And then secreted by both NZTR and the hopeless RIU....

...embarrassed to release the 'Coronial Inquiry', where normally stakeholders can have faith there was no human element to any death...which in this case there was

ZERO TRANSPARENCY then....hidden away to avoid NORTHERN RACE DAY SERVICES and their staff being shamed by the damning find...

• Champ Post 1

Oh that...

When the RIU send the incompetent Northern Race Day Services personnel a written warning saying...

..."strongly remind your crew of their obligations"

You can take it as read the Standard Starting Protocols were broken when it comes to securing a safe Equine working environment...

..that includes attaching leads to upset horses when removing them...and/or pulling reins over the head...

Do you want the email?

And of course the hopeless RIU and Godber...who has no idea about Thoroughbreds...coming from a Harness background...

...simply keeps repeating the same old Mantra when it comes to the appalling Northern Race Day Services...and the rest of the Barrier Crew cockups

...like he did last week on the Radio

"if only everyone did their jobs we'd be ok"

No Mike totally wrong....instead of the confused situation of Clubs employing Barrier Staff as they do now...someone or a BODY...not your hopeless secreting organisation...

takes COMPLETE control of these OUT OF CONTROL crews...

...train them up to World Standard...not Country hick standard...demand Starters sit their Manual test....

...make sure ALL Barrier Staff know basic safety standards like attaching a lead and/or pulling the rein over heads...

...and any new staff...making sure they know the BASICS...

such as ATTACHING A LEAD...so we won't be having any more totally AVOIDABLE deaths

Like the mare CARRELEUR...who suffered needlessly due to the carelessness of the NORTHERN RACE DAY SERVICES staff.

Edited by Thomass
  • Champ Post 1

I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass Weas..but this was NEW info....

...and this is dealing with the DEATH of a much loved Mare...so I don't care

The hopeless RIU's Godber was resolving to take NO RESPONSIBILITY for the situation...

...where the RIU's training of these Barrier Crews...in particular the Starters...

...has clearly proven to be insufficient to maintain a safe environment for these Horses...not because "if only they did their jobs"...

Not only did the 2 attendants fail to follow the accepted safe protocols as set out...

...but the Starter failed to remind these two about the requirement of the need to have a lead on this mare....

It's a rotting fish head...starts at the top...

Godber's ignorance...to the Starter's failure to remind his crew to apply a lead...to the attendants thinking 'she'll be right mate'...

...when it wasn't 

The other thing about this is the extraordinarily dangerous situation of wire fences with thin piping...especially at the point of corners

This mare was following the perimeter fence then failed to sight the pipe fence while observing the stables in the distance....she saw the fence very late...tried to adapt but hit the pipe then wire some 5M from the corner....

...even cheap sighter boards slung over the piped fence would have alerted her to the dangerous wire fence...

Many in the industry believe WHITE is the ideal colour to alert Horses but research shows the dominant colour for a horse is the Blue/yellow spectrum...

...and that's why the British Horseracing Authority has decided to use Fluorescent Yellow as their preferred colour on Hurdle sighter boards...instead of white...including the Guide Rails....

In summary...2 things could have saved her...you know what they are now

• Champ Post 2

Good stuff Thommo.

Couldn't agree more re. starting crews being employed by NZTR instead of by clubs...where not only is there not centralized control or training, even payment and conditions vary.

Quite apart from this latest awful result, there have been plenty of instances when plain common sense would have avoided a balls-up.....the tape start in the steeplechase at Wellington, for one - the recent ( completely unnecessary) escape of the mare She's Gallant at Riccarton for another....the list just goes on.

Then we have the situation where the chief stipe makes arbitrary decisions about which horses can be delayed and/or have a man up.....jockeys pointing out that they are in the wrong gate and being told to shut up....jockeys calling for assistance and being told we're too busy deal with it yourself....oh dear , professional....no.

• Champ Post 1

I understand your reply freda  to this topic,but even if the starting gate boys are employed by the NZTR  and not the clubs   you will probaly still have the same guys working  on the  barriers. It is a very hard job and only so many people can do and are suitable to this particular job.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

OK Thomas , cast your mind back to Te Rapa , Marzemino rearing in the gates knocking Tayla Wenn unconscious, any complaints with the starting crew then , No ? 

Mate they load every horse at every meeting and they get it spot on 99.99% of the time.

I could NOT be happier with those guys loading my horse at any Northern Race or trial day or jump outs as well.

In fact, I'd go to war with those guys as opposed to a few I'd like to mention who talk the shit talk but I bet only ponce the walk 

• Like 2

On 24/05/2019 at 2:30 PM, Freda said:

Good stuff Thommo.

Couldn't agree more re. starting crews being employed by NZTR instead of by clubs...where not only is there not centralized control or training, even payment and conditions vary.

Quite apart from this latest awful result, there have been plenty of instances when plain common sense would have avoided a balls-up.....the tape start in the steeplechase at Wellington, for one - the recent ( completely unnecessary) escape of the mare She's Gallant at Riccarton for another....the list just goes on.

Then we have the situation where the chief stipe makes arbitrary decisions about which horses can be delayed and/or have a man up.....jockeys pointing out that they are in the wrong gate and being told to shut up....jockeys calling for assistance and being told we're too busy deal with it yourself....oh dear , professional....no.

Very good post Freda....especially "centralised control and training"...

Of course the Steeplechase one was simply awful...but again could have been avoided if Garry Philips was at all cognisant with the Starting Manual...which he wasn't...

I saw the She's Gallant one but didn't mention it for fear of Being accused of 'over picky'

Mudhoo was dumped off a fractious mare wasn't he...standing there while plenty of Barrier Attendants stood around watching him...no leads forthcoming...

...then it just buggered off slipping Mudhoo's tenious grip on the reins...cantered around to the straight and promptly slipped over in the mud...close to the outside fence...luckily avoiding it...

Its just a bloody mess...

11 hours ago, Kihikihi Kid said:

OK Thomas , cast your mind back to Te Rapa , Marzemino rearing in the gates knocking Tayla Wenn unconscious, any complaints with the starting crew then , No ? 

Mate they load every horse at every meeting and they get it spot on 99.99% of the time.

I could NOT be happier with those guys loading my horse at any Northern Race or trial day or jump outs as well.

In fact, I'd go to war with those guys as opposed to a few I'd like to mention who talk the shit talk but I bet only ponce the walk 

Normally I wouldn't respond to someone who called me "a f in troll" for posting Sam Collett's celebratory fine as 300 instead of 400....idiot

But seeing as this is about the tragic death of a horse...largely due to the fact a barrier attendant failed to follow accepted practice....I will..

The same occupation standards and acceptance applies to many professions in this line...Firefighters for example....they put their bodies and sometimes lives on the line...Its instinctive

Ive put my body on the line when dealing with horses, especially young stock, and supporting fellow workers in extremely dangerous situations...over many years...It comes with the territory...

Youd have noted though my criticism is largely with the Starters...

Failing to follow Health and Safety Guidelines...and accepted safe practices...

...then plain carreless ignorance like the Avondale horse that failed to load...

But they also LIE through their teeth...

When asked by the AUCKLAND RACING CLUB why the Barrier Crew had left the Blanket off the runner up he said...

"the horse alongside was playing up...so we got distracted...and had to devote resources to that...Im sure if it'd been Jamie's horse he would have wanted us to do that"

When in fact the Australian horse started playing up AFTER In a Twinkling had gone in....total b/s then...

Then proffered the information that one of his attendants, Leadbetter, was of the opinion that leaving off the Blanket didn't make any difference to the runner up in the Derby winning...wtf cares what he thinks as it's totally irrelevant...

Of course we found out in the end that Trev was routinely leaving off Barrier Blankets on his Starter's Card lists..and leaving it to memory...

Dont bother replying 

Officially accepted by the Employers?  Wtf do you mean?

Read the Starters Manual...on the NZTR site...required bedtime reading

All horses without Jockeys require leads and/or pull the reins over the head at the very least...besides I told you

All NRS Staff have been "strenuously" reminded of their responsibilities wrt this...

And to apply the brake on the Tractor then put it into gear while on a slope...

And don't ever lie to Stipes...or Stipes lie to the public about the "failure of the Tractor's brake"...when it was the Barrier Boys who forgot to pull it on...

..nothing to do with a mechanical failure....

Sorry St Thomas , I bow to your superior knowledge , remember you're the one with all the f'in this and that (YAWN)

your reply (retort) smacks of you as a little p4p wannabe 

says it all really, 

Plus , 300 ain't 400 in anyones language , plus surely f'n troll was said tongue in cheek , I'm quite laid back when it comes to chatrooms and keyboard warriors.

Cheers Bro

• Like 2

Sorry mate that was a pretty obvious tongue in cheek too..

...but the ad hominem attacks come so often at me that I'm becoming gun shy...

...Ive made plenty of enemies throughout the Industry from pointing out many obvious flaws in processes and decisions...

...Im suspecting the attacks are from partners, friends, friends of friends et el...

Endeavouring to offer support to their loved ones who simply refuse to follow the protocols that are in place...

I could have let the Matamata death simply slide...it certainly would have given me a load less grief and time dispensed...

..but I detest b/s...and nobody else in the Industry or Media cared a jot about this death...other than the owners...and the embarrassed Matamata Club who had to front up to the owners...all secreted

A p4p wannabe?  Na, I'm anonymous under a non de plume so I'm egoless...he's not

• Like 1